Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2 Detroit bands nominated for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Detroit certainly has an illustrious musical history and I am reading where two more Detroit bands, the White Stripes and the Spinners, are among the 2023 nominees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Is anyone or band missing from this roll call? The Insane Clown Posse ?

Detroit artists in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
    Aretha Franklin - 1987 Marvin Gaye - 1987 Smokey Robinson - 1987 Jackie Wilson - 1987 The Supremes - 1988 The Temptations - 1989 Stevie Wonder - 1989 Hank Ballard - 1990 Four Tops - 1990 John Lee Hooker - 1991 Martha and the Vandellas - 1995 Gladys Knight & the Pips - 1996 Little Willie John - 1996 Parliament-Funkadelic - 1997 Bob Seger - 2004 Madonna - 2008 The Stooges - 2010 Alice Cooper - 2011 The Miracles - 2012 Eminem - 2022

Always loved the Spinners and thought they never quite got their due, maybe because they played second fiddle to the Temps.

The MC5.

The Detroit-based Midnighters were inducted in 2012. [[Hank Ballard went in separately in 1989.) Billy Davis was one of the Midnighters, and at age 84, he is still making music appearing around town. Saw him recently at the Bowlero in Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    The MC5.
    This. Absolutely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Is anyone or band missing from this roll call?
    Aaliyah, she was on her way to #1 before her life got cut short. Rest her soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Insane Clown Posse
    Lived in Detroit all of my life and I’ve never heard of him.

Here are some candidates from a Free Press article today on this very question.

Anita Baker, Barrett Strong, Brenda Holloway, Carl Carlton, the Contours, Diana Ross, the Dramatics, Edwin Starr, Freda Payne, Grand Funk Railroad, Iggy Pop, Insane Clown Posse, Jack Scott, Jr. Walker & the All Stars, Kid Rock, Marshall Crenshaw, the Marvelettes, Mary Wells, MC5, Mitch Ryder [[& the Detroit Wheels), Question Mark and the Mysterians, Rare Earth, the Romantics, the Spinners, Sponge, Suzi Quatro, Tammi Terrell, Ted Nugent and the White Stripes.

I'd toss in Thornetta Davis and Bettye LaVette too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Lived in Detroit all of my life and I’ve never heard of him.[Insane Clown Posse]
    Insane Clown Posse is actually a duo. They have created a bit of a cult following among their fans who are know as Jaggaloes.

"Common characteristics of identifying a member of the Juggalo subculture are as follows: Drinking and spraying the inexpensive soft drink Faygo [pop]. Listening to horrorcore and other types of underground rap music. Wearing face paint, generally those either like an evil clown or perhaps similar to corpse paint."

The Romantics

I see a lot of very good bands and artists there, but I'm not sure I'd consider any of them great, other than Marshall Crenshaw and Jr. Walker. "Very good" and "great" are subjective terms, but that gets to the crux of what being in the Rock Hall of Fame means. Does it mean anything definite? Does anyone with a few hit records deserve to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I see a lot of very good bands and artists there, but I'm not sure I'd consider any of them great, other than Marshall Crenshaw and Jr. Walker. "Very good" and "great" are subjective terms, but that gets to the crux of what being in the Rock Hall of Fame means. Does it mean anything definite? Does anyone with a few hit records deserve to be there?
    I don't think it does mean anything definite anymore. If you get enough votes by whoever the panel is, you get in.