Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Black Voters Are Transforming the Suburbs — And American Politics [Detroit]

Long, but good read...

But no city encapsulates the dramatic reshuffling of these demographic shifts quite like the politics playing out in and around Detroit.The Motor City, once considered the wealthiest city in the U.S. as the car-making capital of the world, has seen its population plummet over the previous two decades, punctuated by a decline in the auto industry, a federal bailout of the American car manufacturers, the city itself declaring bankruptcy and a mayor being convicted of perjury and obstruction of justice.
    In the midst of all that, the city where Motown Records was born endured steep declines in its Black population — more than any other major city, plunging 36 percent between 2000 and 2020. During that time, some 277,000 Black residents left the city, according to census figures. That decline is a pure reversal of the original Great Migration that started more than a century ago when Black families fled Jim Crow oppression in the Deep South for Northern cities, lured by the promise of a better life — and steady work in the nation’s factories.
    Just like in Harris County, Detroit’s outflow of Black voters is ushering in a new political reality. For decades, Detroit was an epicenter of Black political power. That’s all changing. The current mayor, Democrat Mike Duggan, who is white, broke a nearly 40-year streak of Black mayors when he first took office in 2014. For 52 years, the city was represented in Congress by the late Democratic Rep. John Conyers, co-founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. When the new Congress convenes early next month, there will be no Black Congress members representing Detroit. The last time that happened, it was 1955.
    The city will soon be represented in Congress by Rep. Rashida Tlaib, who is Palestinian American, and Congressman-elect Shri Thanedar, who made history last month when he was elected Michigan’s first Indian American representative. Both are Democrats.Meanwhile, as the city of Detroit loses Black residents, the surrounding suburbs of Oakland and Macomb counties are growing more diverse, buoyed by an influx of African Americans. In those counties, a Republican won the open Michigan 10th Congressional District — holding the suburban area for the GOP, which has traditionally done well there. But what was different this time was the margin and the victor: The Republican who bested his Democratic rival by just 1,601 votes is Black.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...itics-00074479

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
    I’m really sick of everything being about race. I don’t even care what this article is.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I’m really sick of everything being about race. I don’t even care what this article is.
    Agree. It’s only a chase if you run.

Race is still an elephant in the room in Metro Detroit politics but the elephant has shrunk a lot. Who'd ever thought the City of Detroit would have a white mayor, Macomb County a black US Congressman, or Hamtramck a Moslem Mayor and City Council? I see all this as good. Maybe in another generation or two we'll start to get beyond these considerations.

These are important changes. One of the more important demographic shifts shown in Census 2020 was the migration of many African-American from central cities to suburban rings. Across the nation, racial residential segregation is gradually declining. Increasingly, white live neighborhoods where there are quite a few minority residents and African Americans, in both cities and suburbs increasing have Hispanic and whites living nearby.
    We are also seeing a sharp rise in interracial marriage.

Yes, I do see the transformation in most Metro-Detroit suburbs to black dominate areas.

In Wayne County

1. Highland Park [[which it's not a suburb) 82% black
    2. Inkster 77% black
    3. Harper Woods 63% black
    4. Redford Township 50% black
    5. River Rouge 49% black
    6. Ecorse 43% black

Oakland County

1. Royal Oak Township 95% black
    2. Southfield 66% black
    3. Lathrup Village 61% black
    4. Oak Park 55% black
    5. Pontiac 47 black

Macomb County

1. Eastpointe 51% black

And there are black politicians working there and trying to make their cities better.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yes, I do see the transformation in most Metro-Detroit suburbs to black dominate areas.

In Wayne County

2. Inkster 77% black
    5. River Rouge 49% black
    6. Ecorse 43% black

Oakland County

2. Southfield 66% black
    4. Oak Park 55% black
    5. Pontiac 47 black

Macomb County

1. Eastpointe 51% black

And there are black politicians working there and trying to make their cities better.

You left out Livonia in Wayne County Danny. What's the percentage there?

^ Livonia is often left out and it's not a small city. There are more black people now living in Dearborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Livonia is often left out and it's not a small city. There are more black people now living in Dearborn.

I look at Metro-Detroit Suburbs that is mostly black. Livonia and Dearborn are not mostly black. Livonia is still the whitest city in Wayne County with 88% white. Dearborn still have a White population of over 50 percent. With a fast growing Arab-Muslim population of 42 percent. In the census the Arab population will had to count as white.

All depends on the color of their skins.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    These are important changes. One of the more important demographic shifts shown in Census 2020 was the migration of many African-American from central cities to suburban rings. Across the nation, racial residential segregation is gradually declining. Increasingly, white live neighborhoods where there are quite a few minority residents and African Americans, in both cities and suburbs increasing have Hispanic and whites living nearby.
    We are also seeing a sharp rise in interracial marriage.
    What happens during the shift,did they move into vacant homes or more homes were built further out,and as African Americans with the means moved from the city has the “white” population increased ?

That’s what I am seeing in the south,or where I am at anyways,as more African Americans move into the suburbs,those that were living there are moving further out creating the sprawl.

As downtown is refurbished,low income African Americans are being forced out with no place else to go but the suburbs and are being replaced but younger white folks as higher income earners.

I am not sure if it is a reflection of true integration and for the most part Hispanics still stick together,it’s just demographics moving into a particular area but then that demographic reflects.

Down the street from me is a suburb called Brandon,it’s considered the largest suburb in the country,10 years ago it was a majority white/Hispanics 90%,now it is 60% African American at the minimum,the people that lived there before did not disappear,they just built more subdivisions further out.

So the African Americans that moved there did not integrate into the suburbs,they moved there and then the suburbs moved further out.

I kinda think it reflects more that the average wage/earning power has increased for African Americans so they have the means for mobility,here you are talking about homes in the burbs that are $350 to $600k on the average.
    Last edited by Richard; February-01-23 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

In Wayne County

2. Inkster 77% black
    5. River Rouge 49% black
    6. Ecorse 43% black

Oakland County

2. Southfield 66% black
    4. Oak Park 55% black
    5. Pontiac 47 black

Macomb County

1. Eastpointe 51% black

I am for diversity. The ongoing trend in Michigan is as the area become 50% to 90% Black the dynamics of that city changes. Retail and businesses start closing and relocating elsewhere. Lower quality retail and grocery stores start opening in place. Crime start increasing

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am for diversity. The ongoing trend in Michigan is as the area become 50% to 90% Black the dynamics of that city changes. Retail and businesses start closing and relocating elsewhere. Lower quality retail and grocery stores start opening in place. Crime start increasing
    Thats HUDs brainchild of social experimentation,they figured if they integrated the thugs into mainstream they would see life in a different way and act accordingly,it does not work a thug is a thug no matter what their surroundings are.

Some politicians and the media wants everybody to believe every African American is of singular mindset and it is a group think thing,when it is not and a case of 20% making everybody look bad.

Can’t catch a break,move to the burbs to provide a better life for their family in a safe environment and the thugs follow them,if they speak out against them they are called uncle toms or traitors to the race.

The 80% of African Americans that oppose the violence and thugs are no different then anybody else,they would love for society to be able to find the solution.

The chucky cheese by me is internet famous for its massive adult brawls that start over the dumbest crap,it’s a place for kids and should be respected as such,if that makes no difference then who knows how to deal with it.
    Last edited by Richard; February-01-23 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thats HUDs brainchild of social experimentation,they figured if they integrated the thugs into mainstream they would see life in a different way and act accordingly,it does not work a thug is a thug no matter what their surroundings are.

Some politicians and the media wants everybody to believe every African American is of singular mindset and it is a group think thing,when it is not and a case of 20% making everybody look bad.

Can’t catch a break,move to the burbs to provide a better life for their family in a safe environment and the thugs follow them,if they speak out against them they are called uncle toms or traitors to the race.

The 80% of African Americans that oppose the violence and thugs are no different then anybody else,they would love for society to be able to find the solution.

The chucky cheese by me is internet famous for its massive adult brawls that start over the dumbest crap,it’s a place for kids and should be respected as such,if that makes no difference then who knows how to deal with it.
    A fabricated statistical and fact based analysis heavy on the coded "thug" term. You never disappoint.

THE 1960s sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies had let viewers know then that it’s not a money issue but a class issue. You could take the thug or the riff raff out of the ghetto but you can’t take the ghetto out of the thug or riff raff. Not saying that all Blacks living in the city of Detroit are such. Many Blacks had moved into suburban communities for better schools, safer communities, lower car insurances, and better amenities. Something that Detroit and it’s Black elected officials and so called leaders haven’t provided its residents for going on 50 years.There are also a few whom are on assisted living who could live almost invisible in a working or middle class neighborhood by keeping the outside surrounding of her rented dwelling clean and not allowing anyone especially her loser relatives to stay with her

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    A fabricated statistical and fact based analysis heavy on the coded "thug" term. You never disappoint.
    That would be you projecting.

A thug is a thug,there is a whole culture built around being a thug and it is glorified in videos,music and movies.

If you honestly believe that 80% African Americans support the thug life and want to live and raise their families around them then you are walking around with eyes wide shut.

They are doing what everybody else did in the past,escaping so they can have a better life for them and their families,there is no code speak in that it is exactly what is happening.

Why do you live in the burbs,name the reasons,well okay your parents moved there and brought you with them,ask them how come they did not stay living in the city.

That would be you projecting.

A thug is a thug,there is a whole culture built around being a thug and it is glorified in videos,music and movies.

If you honestly believe that 80% African Americans support the thug life and want to live and raise their families around them then you are walking around with eyes wide shut.

They are doing what everybody else did in the past,escaping so they can have a better life for them and their families,there is no code speak in that it is exactly what is happening.

Why do you live in the burbs,name the reasons,well okay your parents moved there and brought you with them,ask them how come they did not stay living in the city.
    You sound straight out of the 90’s. I never said people want crime, I find your made up statistics laughable.

I’ve lived within the city limits of the city you’ve never visited for 11 years. Some other made up fact I guess.

You sound straight out of the 90’s. I never said people want crime, I find your made up statistics laughable.

I’ve lived within the city limits of the city you’ve never visited for 11 years. Some other made up fact I guess.
    Thats the problem,you are looking at reasons to make it about me personally,it’s not my statistics,are you now going to say that the this whole thread is bunk because according to you African Americans are not moving and thus voting in the suburbs and it is fake news?

Sense you brought up the 90s the average net worth for African Americans was 35,000 in 2022 it is 95,000.

Outside of a few select neighborhoods within the city the cost of housing is higher in the burbs verses the city,so the increased net worth has given the African Americans the ability for upward mobility,which is progress,and unfortunately the thugs are following them,that is not statistical it is reality.

You seem to live in a city that you really know little about.

Yeah the statistic you dropped was that 20% of all African Americans are “thugs” or in other words over 100,000 Detroiters and over 8 million people across the nation. It’s an assertion that is inherently racist. You keep doing you though.

Yeah the statistic you dropped was that 20% of all African Americans are “thugs” or in other words over 100,000 Detroiters and over 8 million people across the nation. It’s an assertion that is inherently racist. You keep doing you though.
    In New York City, blacks committed “75 percent of all shootings, 70 percent of all robberies, and 66 percent of all violent crime,” despite only composing 23 percent of the population, said Mac Donald in a Hillsdale speech. Additionally, 2009 Bureau of Justice Statistics numbers show that in 2009, “blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/7-sta...-aaron-bandler

According to you,there is 6 guys doing all of that,O sorry Thems.

I think it is great that a larger percentage of African Americans are able to move to the burbs while looking for a safer place in order to raise their families.

I would be more interested in what percentage are doing so as a family unit as in 2 parents or estimated 54% verses in the past because that is what builds a more stable and less violent atmosphere.

Sorry you cannot see the impact of what happens when bad people follow good people in transition,it’s there for you to see if you stop calling everybody racist that you do not agree with.

I will keep doing me,but then again I am not the one looking for 20 million so I can include a group that dominates a city because I just thought it would be a good idea about now,Kinda like the white people who all of the sudden became intimately in touch with the African American race and decided to become their spokesperson or spokesthem because everybody knows you need a good white guy/them in your corner to bring you down the path of salvation.

That to me is inherently racist/fake.

What really pisses you off in all of this is the fact that African Americans are making the move also because they are tired of their vote being decided for them by people with your mindset,so not only are they escaping the thugs,they are freeing themselves from oppressive mindsets that look to keep them trapped and retain power over them.

I can see how you would view that as a threat in the bigger picture.

HUD made the decision to not build or retain projects anymore,so they increased the section 8 or housing allowance in order for the African Americans to move to better neighborhoods and integrate with the hopes that they would change their ways.

That is not me being racist that is their mission statement,you can find it with a little research.

Its like anything else though,the program is a success if 80% of the ones involved are experiencing a better life and able to achieve one.

You ask where the other 20% comes from,that is the amount of thugs that followed the program in order to make it difficult on the other 80% because nothing has a 100% success rate.

being that you are so in tune with the African American population,what is your recommendation so they can get that other 20% of thugs out of their life so they can raise their families or even take them out for dinner without worrying about what might happen because the thugs followed them?

Everybody is all ears.
    Last edited by Richard; February-01-23 at 11:56 PM.

...said Mac Donald in a Hillsdale speech.
    No doubt that's what Heather Mac Donald said in a Hillsdale speech. But often Hillsdale speeches express fake news, racist beliefs, lunatic opinions, etc.

For instance, look at the lecture delivered at Hillsdale by Roger Kimball on September 20, 2021, wherein Kimball stated his lunatic opinion that the January 6 insurrection was a hoax. Said Kimball, historians "may well count the 2016 presidential election as the last fair and open democratic election in U.S. history... every honest person knows that the 2020 election was tainted"

IOW a lot of crap is said at Hillsdale -- a lot of sophistry and mere opinion. And thank God that Hillsdale's Imprimis memorializes its crap because it allows honest people to reflect and see how mistaken or dishonest these opinions were in the light of history.

Challenge yourself Richard. Here's the website of Bureau of Justice Statistics: Home | Bureau of Justice Statistics [[ojp.gov) Try to find where Heather Mac Donald got the crime statistics she cited at Hillsdale. My guess is that they aren't there. My guess is that she got them from, e.g., Breitbart, Ben Shapiro, or some other culture war outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    No doubt that's what Heather Mac Donald said in a Hillsdale speech. But often Hillsdale speeches express fake news, racist beliefs, lunatic opinions, etc.

For instance, look at the lecture delivered at Hillsdale by Roger Kimball on September 20, 2021, wherein Kimball stated his lunatic opinion that the January 6 insurrection was a hoax. Said Kimball, historians "may well count the 2016 presidential election as the last fair and open democratic election in U.S. history... every honest person knows that the 2020 election was tainted"

IOW a lot of crap is said at Hillsdale -- a lot of sophistry and mere opinion. And thank God that Hillsdale's Imprimis memorializes its crap because it allows honest people to reflect and see how mistaken or dishonest these opinions were in the light of history.

Challenge yourself Richard. Here's the website of Bureau of Justice Statistics: Home | Bureau of Justice Statistics [[ojp.gov) Try to find where Heather Mac Donald got the crime statistics she cited at Hillsdale. My guess is that they aren't there. My guess is that she got them from, e.g., Breitbart, Ben Shapiro, or some other culture war outlet.
    Here is a link showing a racial breakdown of crime in NYC. Blacks do make up 73% of all shootings in nyc[[pg.11) and all other forms of crime are mostly perpetrated by blacks. I don’t know who MacDonald is nor do I care.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...t-20210721.pdf

To quote everyone's least favorite Dick: reading is fundamental.

I took umbrage with an assertion that 100,000 Detroiters are thugs. I made no other comments and yet your dissertation wanders around to HUD, and proclamations that I want to keep people trapped and that somehow its because they are seeking political freedom the black residents are moving to the suburbs.

Can you or can you not confirm with statistical fact that 20% of all African Americans are "thugs"? Which seems like a very broad and generic term but you are the one telling us that that is the case so please provide documentation.
    Last edited by southen; February-02-23 at 09:13 AM.

Thugs Richard?? Very derogatory and disrespectul. You've reached a new low.....

Since for some reason we are using NYC crime data to attempt to make Richard's point lets have fun with facts.

Going by the statistics there were 320 murders committed by African Americans in NYC or .01 of 1% of the black population.

There were 984 rapes committed by African Americans in NYC or .05 of 1% of the black population.

By Dick's assertion that 20% of the black population are "thugs" NYC should have over 360,000 of these "thugs" just hell bent on making life terrible for those that want to leave. Seems like there could be a gap between those numbers even if you assume that there are zero overlap in people committing crimes. Almost as if the statistic was pulled out of thin air and just dripping in racial bias. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Really? I know there are more blacks living in Dearborn Heights, but I didn't think Dearborn who has a Arab American majority. Also,I know of quite a few black families that have moved to Livonia, J/Asking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast