Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is Meijer Rivertown Really A Meijer Store?

I finally made it to the Meijer Rivertown Market a few weeks ago, and was impressed with the small, cozy layout.
    As I began shopping with Meijer salespaper in hand, nothing was priced as in ad? I go to the checkout, and nothing was scanning at the sale prices!? I asked an associate who was in scanning area about it and he said that "it's a Meijer store, but not a Meijer store"??? Huh? The self scanners take the Meijer Perks bar code, but don't honor the Meijer ad prices?
    So does that mean the Midtown Target store will not be a Target store???
    Can somebody explain?

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    I finally made it to the Meijer Rivertown Market a few weeks ago, and was impressed with the small, cozy layout.
    As I began shopping with Meijer salespaper in hand, nothing was priced as in ad? I go to the checkout, and nothing was scanning at the sale prices!? I asked an associate who was in scanning area about it and he said that "it's a Meijer store, but not a Meijer store"??? Huh? The self scanners take the Meijer Perks bar code, but don't honor the Meijer ad prices?
    So does that mean the Midtown Target store will not be a Target store???
    Can somebody explain?
    The best low priced grocery store un miles. Lafayette Foods is second

Think of it as a side project by Meijer, but not actually a traditional Meijer. They don't accept coupons or the sale prices from the supercenters. The Woodward Corners one didn't initially accept MPerks, but added them after a few months or so, and the Rivertown one accepts them as well.

These stores charge a premium; I don't have the inside scoop to their business model, but I imagine the margins are going to be slimmer when factoring in the locations and store size for Royal Oak, Grand Rapids and now Detroit locations for these specialty stores.

It is a Meijer Marketplace store, i.e. Meijer Rivertown Market. There are 4, Detroit, Royal Oak, E Lansing & Grand Rapids. The Meijer ads dont apply.

Coupons are loss leaders,to get you into the store and buy more product,in smaller stores you are not going to go in and fill your cart.

Where I am at the smaller wal-mart marketplace stores,same concept,are actually higher then if you go into the grown up stores,so even if they honored coupons the discount would be the same price as if you would have purchased in the big store.

Smaller stores are more convenient,thats what you pay extra for,the real estate is more expensive for them so less incentive to offer discounts.

Target is still going to be Target located in City Club,they do not have the same items as the regular stores,smaller packages etc. so you will not be able to use a like for like coupon and you will not be able to find the exact same items at each location for the most part.

Thats what all of the smaller market place type stores do,smaller footprint,smaller packages,that’s the issue I have even with places like Aldi,you can buy one pound of sugar but not 5#,2# or 3# of potato’s not 5 or 10 #

they are really supplemental stores that if that is your only source,then you have to go shopping every week,even worse most only carry 1 brand of nasty coffee.

Like our Cash n Carry stores,you can buy any brand of coffee that you want as long as it is Chock full o nuts brand.

Targets stated goal is locating around the younger crowd unban style in order to retain them as customers as they get married and have families,if you are more then 2 people,it’s an expensive way to shop in both time and value,but it does serve its purpose,quick in and out and convenient.

If you are looking for couponing value,not the place for you,the good part is,for the most part the shoppers do not wear pajamas like they do in other places.
    Last edited by Richard; January-27-23 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks everyone! Now I have a better understanding!

It's a Meijer grocery market, not a Meijer Thirty Acres [[Supercenter).

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    It is a Meijer Marketplace store, i.e. Meijer Rivertown Market. There are 4, Detroit, Royal Oak, E Lansing & Grand Rapids. The Meijer ads dont apply.
    Coming soon the Meijer's Marketplace will be open in Lake Orion and Macomb TWP.

Hah! I've not heard that phrase used in some time. I started out back in the day with the one Middlebelt and I-96. There's an older Miejer's on Coolidge in RO. I like the single door Miejer's on Eight Mile for most of my needs. Downtown 'market' one ok for a fast grab but not much inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's a Meijer grocery market, not a Meijer Thirty Acres [Supercenter].

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Coming soon the Meijer's Marketplace will be open in Lake Orion and Macomb TWP.
    From my understanding, those will have the same stock, deals, and such as a regular Meijer store. They're basically the grocery section only of a traditional Meijer supercenter.

Meijer also owns Fresh Thyme[edit: this might not be true]. Those are basically just a small grocery section, deli, and bakery, but with higher prices. It would almost make more sense to have Meijer Rivertown be a Fresh Thyme.

There are probably reasons why some places don't have a lot of grocery stores. High operating costs? I don't fully understand. But more than likely a grocery store with high prices is better than no grocery store at all.
    Last edited by Scottathew; January-27-23 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    Meijer also owns Fresh Thyme. Those are basically just a small grocery section, deli, and bakery, but with higher prices. It would almost make more sense to have Meijer Rivertown be a Fresh Thyme.
    I know Meijer is invested in Fresh Thyme but I seem to recall that they did not hold a controlling interest. That was a while back, though, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I know Meijer is invested in Fresh Thyme but I seem to recall that they did not hold a controlling interest. That was a while back, though, so who knows.
    I can't find a clear, recent, and authoritative answer. However, most pages I found indicate that you are correct.