Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Trains crossing East Jefferson at 8:00 a.m.

For the second time in two weeks, there was a train crossing [[back and forth) East Jefferson between Conner and St. Jean at around 8:00 a.m. Traffic was backed-up in each direction.

I can't remember the last time this happened but it seems now to be a regular occurrence. Anyone have any info?

I don't want to complain, I'm just wondering why they started using that crossing. When I see it backed up, I go up to Mack where there is an overpass.

Maybe they could use it after rush hour was over...

Only twice in two weeks?

That's weird. There aren't even any tracks there.

There aren't even any tracks there.
    You need to drive by and listen for the rumble as you drive over the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Here?

https://goo.gl/maps/MpDhyQzf96MZtQ7E9

I have been driving that stretch for over 30 years and in the past it was extremely rare to see a train, let alone be held up by one. Two in two weeks is highly unusual.

I think the only thing those tracks go to now is a large logistics facility which was expanded last year.

That track will probably be used more frequently now that the Lear Corp is soon to be open on Connor and Harper which is located near the track twitch run through that area. I remember almost 40 years ago riding the Gratiot bus around 8 in the morning and being late for classes due to the train running across Gratiot

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    It was a weak attempt at humor, which clearly failed. You know on the internet you'll always get someone to say, "Oh yes there are!!!"

It was a weak attempt at humor, which clearly failed. You know on the internet you'll always get someone to say, "Oh yes there are!!!"
    On the internet, everybody is a robot

Sure, there are tracks there. The yellow school busses that service that area stop ahead of the tracks both ways to verify that no train is coming withstanding the gates and lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sure, there are tracks there. The yellow school busses that service that area stop ahead of the tracks both ways to verify that no train is coming withstanding the gates and lights.
    Holy smokes. Read the thread.

If people would take a minute to look at Google aerials and Street View, they would see that a business south of Jefferson called CleanEarth, 550 Lycaste St., gets railroad tank cars. I see there's also a spur into Spencer / Butcher Assemble Rite at 11851 Freud St., though I don't know if it's used.

It sounds like the track at that crossing is also used for trains switching the Chrysler plant.

The time of day trains use industrial spur tracks typically is based on customer demand. You're not going to get far complaining about a train using a crossing at rush hour. And unless you're camped out by a track 24/7, you can't proclaim accurately about how often trains go through-- driving by a couple times a day doesn't give full insight.
    Last edited by Burnsie; January-24-23 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    You're not going to get far complaining about a train using a crossing at rush hour.
    The OP stated it was just a comment, not a complaint.