Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Two historic apartment buildings in Piety Hill neigborhood to be renovated

It's great to see these old apartment buildings being put back into use. The renovations will provide 87 units.

Lee Arden Apartments

Kingsley Arms Apartments

Two unique, long-vacant apartment buildings in Detroit are being renovated to provide 87 units of new affordable housing in the Piety Hill neighborhood, the city announced Tuesday.

The historic Lee Aden Apartments and the neighboring Kingsley Arms Apartments, on the 600 block of Hazelwood Street, will be offered to Detroiters making between $31,350 and $50,160 a year.

The buildings will include a total of three studios, 63 one-bedroom apartments, and 21 two-bedroom apartments.
    The average rent will be less than $1,000 a month.
    https://www.metrotimes.com/news/two-...using-32143575

Great news, as those are gorgeous buildings and are a huge presence in that neighborhood. I’ve long thought that since Piety Hill is sandwiched between Boston Edison and New Center, it’s an obvious target for redevelopment.

Crain's also just put out an article about these two properties. I primarily share this because Crain's mentions that these properties used PACE financing for increased energy efficiency and I did a lot of the work on that aspect of it for the developer, so I like the recognition.

The two neighboring buildings at 646 and 660 Hazelwood Street, respectively known as the Kingsley Arms and Lee Arden apartments, will undergo a redevelopment totaling $10.3 million, which includes about $6.69 million in DHFF loans, as well as a $2.1 million PACE loan for energy efficient electric, plumbing and HVAC systems, according to a news release announcing the project.

They're also renovating the one across the street so it's like over 100 units in total.

Will make a huge difference for this neighborhood. I always thought it made no sense for those to be vacant. The location is too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
    It's great to see these old apartment buildings being put back into use. The renovations will provide 87 units.

Lee Arden Apartments

Kingsley Arms Apartments

https://www.metrotimes.com/news/two-...using-32143575
    That's great. However, when I was working I made too much to qualify to live there. Now, that I'm retired, I don't make enough to quality to live there. Life can be a cruel mistress.

Gorgeous buildings, so glad they're being saved. Perfect examples of how multifamily can fit seamlessly into predominantly singe family blocks.

Homes that share the alley with these buildings have been selling for $300k+ after renovation, and investors keep pumping money into properties in this area. Wonder if we'll see new construction on any of the vacant parcels in the area soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Great news, as those are gorgeous buildings and are a huge presence in that neighborhood. I’ve long thought that since Piety Hill is sandwiched between Boston Edison and New Center, it’s an obvious target for redevelopment.
    It certainly is. There's been a lot work done improving buildings in Virginia Park; the next logical step is here. Also, of course, there are parallel improvements happening on the other side of Woodward. Considering the corridor between I-75 and the Lodge, pretty much everything south of the Cathedral will have seen some significant amount of redevelopment. Then you've only got the relatively short distance between there and the southern boundary of Highland Park waiting for some love.