Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone Remembers Coleman's Young's Lounge and Bar-B-Q?

Not only Coleman Young was mayor of Detroit. He also co-founded his barbeque joint with his relative Charles Young. Here is the photo.

https://digitalcollections.detroitpu...ndora%3A215076

Did anyone went to his restaurant in those days?

Detroit Free Press, October 23, 1977

“THE MAYOR'S Operation Phoenix committee is apparently defunct, as is Coleman Young's Barbeque Lounge where the group used to meet. The mayor sold his interest in the bar five months after assuming office in 1974.”

My dad, Detroit cop back then, had stories to tell about the place but I won't repeat them because dad is long gone, they were apocryphal and I have to proof they were true. I'll just say he wasn't fond of the joint in a police sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My dad...had stories to tell about the place
    Detroit's media failed to connect dots. But Vince Wade wrote this regarding Coleman Young's infamous family values:

Informant America: Coleman Young's vendettas - why they may explain Rick Wershe's life in prison [[thedimedroppers.com)

And just for general interest is an oral history from the glory days of Motown by Detroit Police 12th Precinct Commander Anthony Fiermonti whom 'family man' Young victimized.

Anthony Fierimonte, October 10th, 2014 · Detroit Historical Society Oral History Archive

Last edited by Henry Whalley; January-15-23 at 09:36 PM.