Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hamtramck to allow animal sacrifice

With considerations of a potential religious freedom suit, the Hamtramck City Council voted Tuesday night to allow the religious sacrifice of animals on residential property.

Thoughts? Should this matter in the face of the daily mechanized mass slaughter of animals in slaughterhouses that goes on?

From today's Free Press...

A new section was added [to the city animal ordinaces] that is titled “Religious Animal Sacrifice.” It says that the other parts of the ordinance, which prohibit animal cruelty, can't be used to “hinder the religious freedom of any person or group.” It also says animals slaughtered must be killed in a humane way, whether by mechanical or electrical means; or by means often used in kosher and halal practices, “whereby the animal suffers loss of consciousness by anemia of the brain caused by the simultaneous and instantaneous severance of the carotid arteries with a sharp instrument. “

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    With considerations of a potential religious freedom suit, the Hamtramck City Council voted Tuesday night to allow the religious sacrifice of animals on residential property.

Thoughts? Should this matter in the face of the daily mechanized mass slaughter of animals in slaughterhouses that goes on?

From today's Free Press...

A new section was added [to the city animal ordinaces] that is titled “Religious Animal Sacrifice.” It says that the other parts of the ordinance, which prohibit animal cruelty, can't be used to “hinder the religious freedom of any person or group.” It also says animals slaughtered must be killed in a humane way, whether by mechanical or electrical means; or by means often used in kosher and halal practices, “whereby the animal suffers loss of consciousness by anemia of the brain caused by the simultaneous and instantaneous severance of the carotid arteries with a sharp instrument. “

Let's hope an Aztec population doesn't start to grow.

This is really a nothingburger, but the media loves it because it involves Muslims and they can have "Animal Sacrifice" in the title. They're basically just allowing the dispatching/slaughtering of animals at home. The fact that it's even illegal there in the first place is probably my Polish great-great grandparents fault. At least the Muslims take some care for the animals and follow a very rigid procedure. I can imagine the mess and commotion my drunken relatives made in their yards butchering all those squealing rabbits, pigs and ducks over the years.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-13-23 at 09:40 AM.

Since Hamtramck is now officially a Muslim majority "Little Mecca", Animal sacrifices for Halal consumption is required for them as long as the USDA inspects it.

Allahu Akbar!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Animal sacrifices for Halal consumption is required for them as long as the USDA inspects it.
    It's OK with me. Probably healthier than getting meat from a slaughterhouse.

What bugs me is when the tables are turned and the animal slaughters the human. Then the animal has the gall to try to pass it off as some kind of "sacrifice" as if that legitimizes it. Come on. We all know animals do it for sport.

I wouldn't have the stomach for it myself, but if it is what their beliefs require for rituals and religious feasts, more power to them

More appropriate headline would be "Hamtramck to allow something already allowed by state and federal law". But that wouldn't get the clicks.

From the article: "state and federal law protect their religious rights under the U.S. Constitution, noting a Supreme Court decision 30 years ago that prohibited city bans on animal sacrifice"

Once again, showing how stupid religion is. It think my opinion was formed as a child in Sunday School when I thought God was an egomaniac."Oh I'm God. Sacrifice a little lamb to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    As long as it's done humanely, I don't have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The fact that it's even illegal there in the first place is probably my Polish great-great grandparents fault.
    We lived just a few blocks from Hamtramck. Grandma would buy a live duck, hang it upside down over the basement sink, cut the neck just enough to let the blood flow but not to kill, and collect old Donald’s blood until he bleeds-out. She would use the blood to make Polish Czernina [[pronounced: CHAR-nina) or duck blood soup then butcher the carcass. Happy memories of the good old days.

Dwight Schrute would be very happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    She would use the blood to make Polish Czernina [[pronounced: CHAR-nina) or duck blood soup then butcher the carcass. Happy memories of the good old days.
    Same goes for my grandmother. I haven't eaten it as an adult but as a child before knowing it was made from duck blood, I'm pretty sure I used to eat and enjoy it. Come to think of it, soup probably explains the disappearance of those baby chicks and pet ducklings I was given at Easter

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Dwight Schrute would be very happy about this.
    A bonanza for Schrute Farm

I had childhood friends who ate it too but were told it was "chocolate soup"
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Same goes for my grandmother. I haven't eaten it as an adult but as a child before knowing it was made from duck blood, I'm pretty sure I used to eat and enjoy it. Come to think of it, soup probably explains the disappearance of those baby chicks and pet ducklings I was given at Easter

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I had childhood friends who ate it too but were told it was "chocolate soup"
    Swedes have a soup made from the blood of geese. IDK if they use domesticated or wild geese, e.g., Canadian geese. Some people say that wild geese are not appetizing, but I've never tried them. For some reason they are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Once again, showing how stupid religion is."
    But to be fair, in the days of Genesis everyone killed their own livestock. A sacrifice was a burnt offering out of gratitude for one's abundant good fortune. They didn't have any butcher shops, delis, etc. You choked your own chicken.

Animal sacrifice and killing animals in kosher or halal practices [[to eat them) are two totally different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    But to be fair, in the days of Genesis everyone killed their own livestock. A sacrifice was a burnt offering out of gratitude for one's abundant good fortune. They didn't have any butcher shops, delis, etc. You choked your own chicken.
    It’s interesting that it is even brought up,we can have chickens in our back yards,no roosters but yet the roosters can run wild because they do not know who they belong to or chase,in Ybor city which was dominated by Cubans chickens running about are protected as a part of the culture.

In your back yard who is going to know if you are choking your chicken or sacrificing it,I know a few that do it but that is more about voodoo then anything else,on the farm we used to just grab em by the feet,throw them across the log stump and wack their head off.

Now days animals have more rights then humans and people act like a rattle snake should be a pet,it does not matter if they creep,fly or crawl they are a food source for somebody.

Here the Hispanics buy live pigs,bring them home,butcher them and bury them in the ground in a bed of coals to cook for a few days,the middle easterners do the same thing with goats,not sure why they have to go the extra mile to legalize something that has been happening sense the dawn of time other then as a way to shut whiny/nosy neighbors up.

In the article it says you cannot choke your chicken,you have to be humane and cut it with a sharp instrument. Like that would not hurt.
    Last edited by Richard; January-16-23 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Animal sacrifice and killing animals in kosher or halal practices [[to eat them) are two totally different things.
    Understood, one is for religious observance, one is for dietary health. But with regard to Hamtramck, what's your point?