Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Comerica Park Dimensions

Looks like they're moving in the fences again according to a Click On Detroit article. Sounds good to me, it's a park build for small ball in a home run world.

Good. I imagine free agents are more hesitant to come to a ballpark where home runs die on the warning track.

The Tigers had no issues getting free agents to come here when they actually had a good team. The outfield dimensions are irrelevant except to one dimensional crybabies.

I'm sure Miggy is thinking "Great. Now you decide to move 'em in."
    Probably cost him 50 homers. Oh well, maybe he'll get 4 instead of 3 in his last season.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm sure Miggy is thinking "Great. Now you decide to move 'em in."
    Probably cost him 50 homers. Oh well, maybe he'll get 4 instead of 3 in his last season.
    Ouch, that hurt. Alas, prolly true though.

"Dimensional crybabys"

Someone always has to be offended by something these days.

I wish they'd go back to 440.

Call me old fashioned.

Anybody who thinks that Comerica Park is a better place to watch a Tiger game then Tiger Stadium was needs to get their head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Anybody who thinks that Comerica Park is a better place to watch a Tiger game then Tiger Stadium was needs to get their head examined.
    Younger people who never saw a game at Tiger Stadium think it's a great park. Of course it's easy to do when you have nothing to compare it to. I love countering people who say there's not a bad seat in Comerica Park. Yeah, sit on the left field line for a night game during June & July. Make sure you don't sit in too far back in the Pavilion sections because you may end up behind the scoreboard.

They for sure do! I mean who wouldn't want to look through a pole or be crammed into a concourse at a ball game. Lets not forget how comfortable those seats were ...

I saw games in both Tiger Stadium and Comerica, and I've also seen what the Cubs did to renovate Wrigley Field and bring a historic park up to more modern standards. We lost a classic, unique park in what is now an interesting neighborhood and replaced it with a carnival that happens to have a baseball game going on in the background.

Sure, there were obstructed seats, but a serious modernization of Tiger Stadium could have improved the concourses, brought in more comfortable seats, added suites and kept the historic charm that Comerica Park lacks. I've never actually seen that photo of right field, which shows one of the most interesting views in baseball, with fans sitting right on top of the action. The first row of the upper deck in Comerica is so far from the action, binoculars are almost a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The first row of the upper deck in Comerica is so far from the action, binoculars are almost a requirement.
    I liked Tiger Stadium too but I don't have a problem with Comerica. Row 3 or 4 upper deck behind home plate are my preferred seats since you don't look through the glass. Not sure how many other new parks you've been to but even the middle tier at Cincy, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc. are worse seats. They may be a little closer to home plate but they are stacked extremely high.

I saw games in both Tiger Stadium and Comerica, and I've also seen what the Cubs did to renovate Wrigley Field and bring a historic park up to more modern standards. We lost a classic, unique park in what is now an interesting neighborhood and replaced it with a carnival that happens to have a baseball game going on in the background.

Sure, there were obstructed seats, but a serious modernization of Tiger Stadium could have improved the concourses, brought in more comfortable seats, added suites and kept the historic charm that Comerica Park lacks. I've never actually seen that photo of right field, which shows one of the most interesting views in baseball, with fans sitting right on top of the action. The first row of the upper deck in Comerica is so far from the action, binoculars are almost a requirement.
    I have heard that the first row of the upper deck at Comerica Park is further from the field then the last row of the upper deck at Tiger Stadium was.

Even if they had to build the stadium with the seating like that, which apparently, they did, why did they make the outfield dimensions so ridicules? Everybody I know always hated it. This will be the 2nd time they've moved the fences in, I would have gone with an additional 10 feet.

I have heard that the first row of the upper deck at Comerica Park is further from the field then the last row of the upper deck at Tiger Stadium was.
    You are correct. I ran out of photo space or something on here, but this link shows the cross-section of both parks and you can see the first row of CoPa is further than the last row in Tiger Stadium.

You are correct. I ran out of photo space or something on here, but this link shows the cross-section of both parks and you can see the first row of CoPa is further than the last row in Tiger Stadium.
    I think one way to look at is that the best 50% of the seats at Tiger Stadium were far superior to the best 50% at Comerica. However the last 50% is the reverse. Sure you were on top of the action in the upper deck at Tiger Stadium, but you also had obstructed view seats behind poles, people in the upper deck outfield who couldn't see if a fly ball was caught or a home run, people in the back half of the lower deck who couldn't see fly balls, etc.. Fortunately during the 30 years I attended games most times the crowds were under 25,000. One thing that makes the game much worse is ticket prices. In Comerica 15,000 people are spread throughout the park because they can't afford to sit near the plate whereas at Tiger Stadium even 12,000 people was a cozy group because anyone could afford an extra 2 or 3 bucks to sit in the reserved seats.