Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re Visiting Occupy The House Movement in Detroit -as $$$gets too high for residents

Re Visiting Occupy The House Movement in Detroit -as $$$gets too high for residents

NOT a Short Article

https://detroitgetlucky.blogspot.com...y-detroit.html

The link doesn’t work

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The link doesn’t work
    It works for me.

Edit:
    Oops. It DID work for me but now it doesn't.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-22-22 at 10:02 PM.

If you think it’s too expensive to live in Detroit you need to get your head checked. And these “occupy ‘blank’” movements are for morons and morons only, please get a life

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It works for me.

Edit:
    Oops. It DID work for me but now it doesn't.

tested it at 10 pm EST 12/22 try this https://detroitgetlucky.blogspot.com...y-detroit.html

for lack of a better word that is what they called the protest against the inability to really believe the American Dream As a student of history this &
    BLM and every movement since 9-11 has exposed the chasm in this country SO without resorting to Howard Zinn Do some homework and realize
    that the name is not Always the Sentiment but the Anger Is Real on both sides including the racists Reminds me of Germany 1920- 1933.
    Last edited by Body By Margo; December-22-22 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Body By Margo View Post
    tested it at 10 pm EST 12/22 try this https://detroitgetlucky.blogspot.com...y-detroit.html
    That works for me now. And now the original link works as well.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-22-22 at 10:07 PM.

for lack of a better word that is what they called the protest against the inability to really believe the American Dream As a student of history this &
    BLM and every movement since 9-11 has exposed the chasm in this country SO without resorting to Howard Zinn Do some homework and realize
    that the name is not Always the Sentiment but the Anger Is Real on both sides including the racists Reminds me of Germany 1920- 1933.

Quote Originally Posted by Body By Margo View Post
    That link works for me.

Is this a Russian bot infiltrating D Yes? Putin sure didn't concern himself using his best AI on us.

So hard to read morons.

Can anyone do a moron to English translation of that article? Perhaps in 3 sentences or less?

It must be difficult to claim that there is a housing shortage in the U.S. while up to 22M illegal non-citizens seem to have found housing in Detroit and elsewhere. There are still help wanted signs all over too. There is a housing problem but it has more to do with mental and physical health and who we vote for.

Seems like a sad and pointless memoir about sad and pointless losers looking for an ecological niche. Made me want to buy anti-lice shampoo, sulfa drugs, full-body condoms, etc.

I kinda think it is no different then what other groups have done throughout history,just call them different names,bikers,in the 60s it was the hippies,groups forming communes,people like Jim Jones,even in the mega thread here there was a large group that in essence escaped the mainstream and gathered together in a form of a collective of like minded.

I kinda think people get lost when they determine that society has a preset destiny for us when the reality is it does not really,as individuals you can control your destiny and not be a part of what they call the machine.

That whole occupy movement seemed to more of a LSD trip for many because they never really had any kind of goal and depending on location it held a different meaning.

Places like Seattle it was based on everybody had a right to everything on a free share basis,the part they were confused on was the places that they were occupying were built by somebody and developed in the past,if not there would not have been anything to occupy.

They could have occupied space in the middle of the woods or desert but they did not because they wanted to occupy and have the convenient established services nearby.

It was not really a movement,more so a fad until the realities of life kicks in.
    Last edited by Richard; December-26-22 at 10:42 AM.

In the 1970s Detroit Housing Commission and HUD and FHA has started a program to let poor and low-income folks rent by co-option to buy any Detroit home. The project was focused on the Mack-Alter St. near Morningside sub-division that was at the time partially devastated by the 1967 riots but was caused by mostly low-income whites to prevent blacks from buying those homes near the Grosse Pointe neighborhoods. The low-income blacks immediately bum rushed to buy those east side Detroit homes. The result, mostly low-income blacks did not have the rest of the income to fix up their homes of their own. Some were delinquent on their taxes leaving their homes behind to rot and decay. The source was recorded in this footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-zqYIsEsuo

And the east Detroit ghetto hoods area mess today. While the neighborhoods of Grosse Pointes remain clean, rich and white.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3792.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3833...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3833...7i16384!8i8192

In the 1980s, The Detroit Housing Commission and long with the Coleman Young Administration has a special program to let low-income folks buy a city owned home and property with a co-option to buy. My relatives were in that program and rent a Detroit home with co-option to pay within 10 years. their Detroit home was paid for. The DHC also provide a list of rental homes with rents from $350 to $500 a month. The result more low-income folks especially blacks and fewer Hispanics were in a rental spree in each Detroit hood especially well kept up and stabled hoods in Detroit. Mostly white and middle-income folks in those mostly Detroit hoods just don't like what they see as 'riff raffs' living next door to them and sped up white flight to the suburbs even more.

The remaining low-income folks could keep up their hoods. Even after the change of Detroit politics from Young to Archer Administration. And by the mid 1990s to the mid 2000s, most Detroit homes end up from this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3530...!7i3328!8i1664

to this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3530...7i16384!8i8192

Today when the Duggan Administration came in the DHC is in the recovering mode after the Kilpatrick "Manoogian Party Politics". The Detroit Land Bank was planned to make sure that most Detroit homes and properties are sold and auctioned off to the highest bidder. And it worked very well.

More mysterious foreign buyers are grabbing Detroit land, homes and property until the time is right to seize control, gentrify the hood, raise rents and displace the poor and low-income folks. And you have a Detroit hood that went from this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3821...!7i3328!8i1664

to this

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3821...7i16384!8i8192

Plus, you have Dan Gilbert expanding his turf all the way to the Brewster PJ's. Turn Brush Park from this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3437...!7i3328!8i1664

into this

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3437...7i16384!8i8192

With 98 percent of housing sold out in the flash with $600,000 to $1.1 million dollars super condos. And Gilbert has his private security force to keep the 'riff raffs, and hoodies' out. Also, the rents in most Detroit ghetto hoods are going up up and way up about $700 to $1500 a month. With some rents cheaper in some run-down cockroach and rat-infested Apts. and houses controlled by slumlords.

Face it folks, Detroit is in its third renaissance. And this time private developers are ready for whatever crime, gangs, drugs and political corruption throws in their way.

By 2050 Detroit's demographic will change. And by that time, it will not be black folks running the show, because they already hitting 8 Mile Rd.
    Last edited by Danny; December-27-22 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...sped up white flight to the suburbs even more.
    Other reasons for white flight included school bussing, drug culture, and Young's street-crime incentives such as eliminating police STRESS units.

P.S. I lived in Grixdale circa 1971-72. After the white flight, IIRC it morphed into a Romanian immigrant community. The immigrants took care of their new homes. The only thing I noticed is that black cats were being poisoned -- prolly an old-world custom? Afterward, Grixdale became Chaldean AFAIK.

Macomb County became the homeland of Reagan Democrats. Finally, Grixdale became 'occupied' and supplied with lice shampoo by a grocer several miles north on Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Other reasons for white flight included school bussing, drug culture, and Young's street-crime incentives such as eliminating police STRESS units.

P.S. I lived in Grixdale circa 1971-72. After the white flight, IIRC it morphed into a Romanian immigrant community. The immigrants took care of their new homes. The only thing I noticed is that black cats were being poisoned -- prolly an old-world custom? Afterward, Grixdale became Chaldean AFAIK.

Macomb County became the homeland of Reagan Democrats. Finally, Grixdale became 'occupied' and supplied with lice shampoo by a grocer several miles north on Woodward.
    Now Chaldean Town is long DEAD! they all gone to the suburbs. At least former dictator of Iraq Saddam Hussien give $700,000 to a Sacred Heart Chaldean Church to build their community center and Coleman Young gave the keys to the City of Detroit to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    At least former dictator of Iraq Saddam Hussien give $700,000 to a Sacred Heart Chaldean Church.
    I didn't know that.

The beatniks will not be returning to Greenwich Village, like Detroit they were priced out in the 60s

Yasso met Hussein in 1979 at a banquet in Baghdad, where the pastor gave a speech commending the president for his kindness to Christians. “Saddam was 100 percent American then,” he says. “He arranged for the government to pay for my trip and [for me to] stay at the best hotel in Baghdad.” After learning that Yasso’s Michigan parish was in the red, Hussein promptly wrote a check, the first of two, for a quarter of a million dollars. After Yasso’s triumphant return, an influential member of his flock convinced Coleman A Young, the controversial mayor of Detroit at the time, to give Hussein the key to the city.

https://www.bidoun.org/articles/sadd...ity-of-detroit

Interesting enough,that year 1979,the United States had considered Iraq a state sponsor of terrorism.

Saúdam pulled off his coup on July 22 1979,so the meeting had to have taken place after that day when it was already well known that Saúdam was in the middle of disappearing thousands on a daily basis.

So let’s give him a key to the city because he is such an upstanding person.They could have saved 60,000 plus lives and hours of extreme torture for thousands more by giving him a piece of lead if they were that close to him.

His false profit of being kind to Christians was a ruse to gain support as he genocide the Kurds in northern Iraq which was not a very Christian thing to do,it would have also not been very Christian like to look away as long as somebody was giving you cash.

Some of his top advisers were Catholic,who also looked the other way.

Last edited by Richard; December-29-22 at 02:25 AM.

Sneaky Ways Christmas Movies Are Capitalist Propaganda
    The explosively festive YBOC Series Finale focuses on how Christmas movies are basically all just capitalist propaganda. To send him off, Dr. Jordan Breeding is visited by a few friends.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-29-22 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Sneaky Ways Christmas Movies Are Capitalist Propaganda
    Yeah, except for Reno 911!: It's a Wonderful Heist [[TV Movie 2022) - IMDb

Jackie who sells books stolen from the public library is a most enterprising character and represents not the best of American life, but rather what's left of American life. She used to be Ms. Nevada. It's my my favorite Christmas movie of all time.

An ex-coworker of mine started fixing up houses in Detroit. He made a career out of it. Not tearing down houses and building new ones, just buying distressed, abandoned properties and getting them cleaned up and up to code so they were livable again. Here were the issues he ran in to:

1. Dealing with *any* city licensing or inspection bureau is an absolute nightmare. They miss dates. They loose reservations. They double charge. They loose your money. Anything you can imagine going wrong does happen, multiple times, constantly.

2. Getting the Detroit water department to do anything is also nearly impossible. An abandoned house next to a property he owned broke it's main and was creating a sinkhole threatening to destroy his driveway. He called multiple times over the weekend and could never reach anyone at the emergency number. Finally he bought the pole you need and turned it off himself, then got yelled at a few days later for messing with DSWD equipment without their permission.

3. The city property tax department. You can read the series of news articles about those yourself.

4. For his troubles of fixing up his own neighborhood [[he lived in Detroit) people would come in from outside of his neighborhood [[along with quite a few suburbanites) and yell at him for being a slum lord. Keep in mind he didn't own rental properties, he brought blighted houses up to code and sold them. He bought a couple of his neighbors' houses when they were foreclosed on and let them live in them rent free as long as they paid their utilities.

He has since moved out of Detroit and turned his attention to other areas, as the situation had become untenable.

So, yeah, quite a lot is broken with Detroit real estate. It seems as though, unless you are a huge developer doing business directly with the city, the city is openly hostile to property owners.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    1. Dealing with *any* city licensing or inspection bureau is an absolute nightmare...
    So, yeah, quite a lot is broken with Detroit real estate. It seems as though, unless you are a huge developer doing business directly with the city, the city is openly hostile to property owners.
    Sad :[

It seems that city bureaucrats have shark eyes or serial killer eyes oftener than not.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; January-03-23 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    An ex-coworker of mine started fixing up houses in Detroit. He made a career out of it. Not tearing down houses and building new ones, just buying distressed, abandoned properties and getting them cleaned up and up to code so they were livable again. Here were the issues he ran in to:

1. Dealing with *any* city licensing or inspection bureau is an absolute nightmare. They miss dates. They loose reservations. They double charge. They loose your money. Anything you can imagine going wrong does happen, multiple times, constantly.

2. Getting the Detroit water department to do anything is also nearly impossible. An abandoned house next to a property he owned broke it's main and was creating a sinkhole threatening to destroy his driveway. He called multiple times over the weekend and could never reach anyone at the emergency number. Finally he bought the pole you need and turned it off himself, then got yelled at a few days later for messing with DSWD equipment without their permission.

3. The city property tax department. You can read the series of news articles about those yourself.

4. For his troubles of fixing up his own neighborhood [[he lived in Detroit) people would come in from outside of his neighborhood [[along with quite a few suburbanites) and yell at him for being a slum lord. Keep in mind he didn't own rental properties, he brought blighted houses up to code and sold them. He bought a couple of his neighbors' houses when they were foreclosed on and let them live in them rent free as long as they paid their utilities.

He has since moved out of Detroit and turned his attention to other areas, as the situation had become untenable.

That was an eye opening post! It sounds like trying to get the government plumber out to fix something in a Moscow apartment circa 1980. Government can to things right but when agencies are not functional, what's the alternative? The first thing that comes to mind are management firms that manage various functions of landlords' needs. They can screen and find renters, send in crews to repair and improve apartments between renters, provide tradesmen, etc.. I wonder if it would be possible for management companies to squeeze permits out of languid and dysfunctional licensing departments with legal bribes, lawsuits or other incentives. It would free redevelopers to upgrade Detroit instead of standing in lines and writing letters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast