Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New owner of Continental Motors plant confirms plans to demolish ruins, build self-st

New owner of Continental Motors plant confirms plans to demolish ruins, build self-storage

The new owner of what remains of the old Continental Motors Co. plant on Detroit's east side confirmed Friday that his firm is demolishing all of the industrial ruins, including its prominent smokestack, and plans to replace it with a self-storage building.Anthony Scavo, chief operating officer for Miami-based Basis Industrial, formerly known as MCSS Self-Storage, said in a phone interview that all the factory structures still standing at 1610 Algonquin St. will be razed, with completion of the demo expected by late February or early March.
    “We are taking everything down to the dirt on the whole site. It’s going to be a complete demolition," he said.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...t/69735005007/

It’s times like this that reminds me of U-Haul

They took a historic multi story cigar factory in Ybor City Tampa and made it into a self storage facility without altering the historical perimeter of the original factory.

You always hear that,we do not have a choice,we have to demolish it,but yet others prove all of the time there are choices available.

I guess even saving a tiny part of the history in tribute to those who toiled within a buildings confines has no value.

I guess that is the thing with Detroit and all of those old buildings,in any other city they would just be some old building but in Detroit those old buildings did not just shape the city they helped shape and impact the world,I kinda think that has a lot more meaning and should be respected a little more.

Self storage units are literally a license to print money ,there is no way in the world that preserving something there is going to even put a dent in the bottom line.
    Last edited by Richard; December-16-22 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Self storage units are literally a license to print money ,there is no way in the world that preserving something there is going to even put a dent in the bottom line.
    Maybe, but location counts too. This guy looks at the demographics and thinks he's going to get people from Gross Pointe using a self-storage in that neighborhood. We shall see.

During WW2, my dad worked in that plant making tank engines. He had dropped out of Cass Tech to enlist, but his Army physical discovered an eye issue he was unaware of. So, he went to work. It was there that he met a woman, fresh out of a tiny town Kentucky high school. After the war they married, and here I am.