Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another suburban office building looks to go residential

I have a feeling this will become more common in the future as suburbs like Southfield and Troy have to deal with the excess office space in their communities.

Another suburban office building looks to go residential

Birmingham-based Cypress Partners paid $5.95 million for the 99,000-square-foot Troy office building at 295 Kirts Blvd. that was formerly occupied by Kelly Services Inc.

The development team lead by Mike Parks and Jack Parks said they plan to convert that existing three-story into 90 studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments, while the surface parking space behind it would be turned into a pair of four-story buildings with 55 units each.

Mike Parks said interior demolition on the former Kelly Services Inc. building, which had been used for back-office staff, is close to starting and that the redevelopment of that building would be completed before the new ones are built.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...go-residential

Wish they would convert old Kmart HQ at Coolidge/B Beaver. It's at least 10 years now. Can't believe they haven't developed it by now...

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Wish they would convert old Kmart HQ at Coolidge/B Beaver. It's at least 10 years now. Can't believe they haven't developed it by now...
    I don't want to see it be destroyed either. Ironically the earlier 2 Kresge HQs [Kales and Cass Park] are still occupied, one residence, the other technology.

But the footprint of the Big Beaver former HQ building would make for a very difficult residential conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't want to see it be destroyed either. Ironically the earlier 2 Kresge HQs [Kales and Cass Park] are still occupied, one residence, the other technology.

But the footprint of the Big Beaver former HQ building would make for a very difficult residential conversion.
    As interesting as this building is, this corner would be great for a mixed-use town center style development. A "Downtown Troy" if you will. There was a plan by the owners pre-Covid.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...et/3976935002/

Who the hell is going to want to live in that?

All that Troy/Southfield office space should have never been built.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    As interesting as this building is, this corner would be great for a mixed-use town center style development. A "Downtown Troy" if you will. There was a plan by the owners pre-Covid.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...et/3976935002/
    lol they've been planning that for DECADES. It's never going to happen.

I don't understand how that building is still there. Must cost insane money to maintain.

Good! I hope the old K-mart WHQ will be turned into lofts and condos.