Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Who else is tired of having to drive everywhere we need to go in Metro Detroit ?

So much time and patience is being spent in traffic each and every day, just commuting to work and back home.

It would sure be wonderful to leave the 'chore' of driving to someone else, so that I could simply sit back and enjoy browsing a magazine, reading/responding to e-mails, or to catch a cat-nap during the trip.

The future of our region and our state will be very bleak, if it isn't already. Owning a car sucks away thousands of dollars from our bank account a year, that should have been going towards our financial well-being, instead of our perpetual decline into debt. Personal debt, household debt are on the micro-level, as our regional and state follows the same path towards more and more financial pains. This cycle needs to stop.

I've enjoyed the reasonably efficient transit system in San Diego, San Francisco/Oakland, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta, Washington DC, New York City, and even Cleveland. Detroit needs to make it happen.

Who else, besides me, is truly tired of having to drive everywhere we need to go in Metro Detroit ?

Detroit won't be a first class city until it gets a better transportation system.
    That is a long way off and probably won't happen in our life times. It's a shame. When you travel to other cities like Chicago, Toronto, Wash. D.C. and New York, you can see the difference.

Stosh Guest

I'd just as soon fly. Or maybe a transporter ala Star Trek?

I'm curious where you live and where you work?
    I drive very little, but I live near a bus stop and work downtown.
    I agree, though, this region is built all wrong and we pay the price in wasted money, wasted time and pollution.

Sometimes I wish I could take a subway or bus to get somewhere. I could read a book for an hour or so. Or I could just hop in my car and be there in under 20 minutes, leaving when I please, making quick unplanned stops and smoking a fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Sometimes I wish I could take a subway or bus to get somewhere. I could read a book for an hour or so. Or I could just hop in my car and be there in under 20 minutes, leaving when I please, making quick unplanned stops and smoking a fatty.
    If only Detroit had a high-speed subway, where the smoking of fatties was allowed... then we would be a REAL city...

You could try car pooling or tele-commuting.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    So much time and patience is being spent in traffic each and every day, just commuting to work and back home.
    Move closer to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    And just the same, I'm sure there are people who would rather relax and read that book instead of contending with you, stoned off your ass, operating a large piece of machinery on a public right-of-way.

I would not take public transit unless it were available, unless I was with a group of friends/family. I've taken public transit often times in New York, but I've been sure to make it back to my hotel before the sunsets.

I work downtown and live close by....i take the public transport to work but travelling anywhere else is a pain

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    I would not take public transit unless it were available, unless I was with a group of friends/family. I've taken public transit often times in New York, but I've been sure to make it back to my hotel before the sunsets.
    What a bizarre notion. I lived in NYC for 15 years and rode the subways day and night. Never even a hint of trouble. For that matter, NYC, despite its reputation, is generally safer than most other American cities. And the city is really at its best after dark.

Lived in Atlanta for awhile. Loved the Park & Ride option. Oh, the gas money I could save...

what about MARTA?

I think you were wise to become an exdetroiter; people who won't ride the subway after dark in NYC probably shouldn't live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What a bizarre notion. I lived in NYC for 15 years and rode the subways day and night. Never even a hint of trouble. For that matter, NYC, despite its reputation, is generally safer than most other American cities. And the city is really at its best after dark.
    Although that may be the case, keep in mind the rumors throughout the years of the crime in New York, for a visitor to not take precautions would be ludicrous particuarily in a unfamiliar environment. In contrast I will admit I seen someone trying to steal a car during the middle of the day in China Town; I've seen a man snatch a purse and police pursuit in the Garment District, so there are crimes being committed in the middle of the day, thus not being a resident, you better believe I was off the street by night fall.

You might as well not have come then.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I think you were wise to become an exdetroiter; people who won't ride the subway after dark in NYC probably shouldn't live in Detroit.
    You can say that again. Particularily after having my spouse murdered at 1:00 pm on a busy street in Detroit by two bullet wombs and not one witness would come forth; Not to mention having my home robbed; Having my mom and toddler accousted by car jackers pointing guns at the driver window as well as the back window [[only to awaken my child sitting in his car seat) in the middle of the day on Six Mile and the Southfield service drive-YOU BETTER BELIEVE I AM AN EXDETROIT!

I'll get on a bus when you pry my cold, dead hands off'n my steering wheel.

crawford Guest

The NYC subway is actually at its safest late at night, even on a per-passenger basis. Strange but true. I guess any potential wrongdoers are sleepy or something.

In any case, the NYC subway is VERY safe, and at all hours. I really wouldn't worry about it at all.

crawford Guest

Although that may be the case, keep in mind the rumors throughout the years of the crime in New York, for a visitor to not take precautions would be ludicrous particuarily in a unfamiliar environment. In contrast I will admit I seen someone trying to steal a car during the middle of the day in China Town; I've seen a man snatch a purse and police pursuit in the Garment District, so there are crimes being committed in the middle of the day, thus not being a resident, you better believe I was off the street by night fall.
    Was this all 30 years ago or something?

I have lived in NYC for most of the last 10 years [[since graduating from college), have been basically everywhere at all hours, and never seen ANY of these things, and you see them all on one trip?

You can say that again. Particularily after having my spouse murdered at 1:00 pm on a busy street in Detroit by two bullet wombs and not one witness would come forth; Not to mention having my home robbed; Having my mom and toddler accousted by car jackers pointing guns at the driver window as well as the back window [[only to awaken my child sitting in his car seat) in the middle of the day on Six Mile and the Southfield service drive-YOU BETTER BELIEVE I AM AN EXDETROIT!
    Sorry to hear of your tragedy, exdetroiter. I couldn't begin to imagine the pain that was to endure. May God bless. Some friends of mine just moved to Troy, and they were suprised how crime has really spiked in their neighborhood. A rash of car thefts and break-ins and home invasions. Has them second-guessing the move now. It's just bad everywhere I guess.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-15-09 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Sorry to hear of your tragedy, exdetroiter. I couldn't begin to imagine the pain that was to endure. May God bless. Some friends of mine just moved to Troy, and they were suprised how crime has really spiked in their neighborhood. A rash of car thefts and break-ins and home invasions. Has them second-guessing the move now. It's just bad everywhere I guess.
    I'm really interested to hear which part of Troy had the rash of home invasions. That's the first I've hear about that.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm really interested to hear which part of Troy had the rash of home invasions. That's the first I've hear about that.
    Don't know what part, it was on Channel 7 News either yesterday or Sunday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast