Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gilbert, Bedrock unveil $3.5 billion project on Cleveland riverfront

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...and-riverfront

"Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC announced a $3.5 billion plan to transform Cleveland's underutilized Tower City Center and a key stretch of riverfront land behind it into a residential and entertainment district.

The new master plan, developed by global design studio Adjaye Associates, shows more than 3.5 million square feet of development climbing toward the downtown skyline from the east bank of the Cuyahoga River. Bedrock, the real estate arm of Gilbert's Rock family of companies, unveiled the proposal Friday at the Ritz-Carlton Cleveland hotel.

Images show 12 acres of public open space lined by a procession of new mid- and high-rise buildings. Those buildings could contain 2,000 new homes, a mix of rental and for-sale, and 1.4 million square feet of commercial space, including a hotel, offices, entertainment and retail."

When will it be Detroit's turn?

This is the announcement of a master plan with a 15-20 year potential timetable. Im not sure why you are asking about Detroit's turn. He has rehabbed dozens of buildings and is currently building the second tallest skyscraper in the city. If anything the announcement that he bought the Robert's Riverwalk Hotel says that he has big plans for the riverfront in addition to what he's already doing downtown.

Yea but he is building the second tallest building,for somebody that likes to come in first all of the time to be coming in second place does not look good .

He should stick a big pole on the top with a red ball or something and make it the tallest.

Lots of mega projects announced lately with 20 year timeframes in a world that nobody knows what the climate will be one year to the next,not talking about the weather.

30 days from now most will forget all about the announcement let alone base anything on 20 years from now.

What about Detroit ? You got a free 5 billion dollar bridge and got to dump bell isle and when the city got the fairgrounds it sold it to Amazon while waiting for the basket ball player to move forward with his big plans that never materialized.

Most of the announcements are made to garner national attention and draw investment interest to the region while creating a positive outlook for the future.

They do not actually have to happen for the intent to work.

Detroit has had alot of positive developments,some have slowed and some have gained traction,but as a whole you are not going backwards and considering where you started from,that’s a pretty big and commendable step and a big accomplishment for the individual home owners and citizens all the way up to those with billions to play with.

Squeaky wheels get results and people have to become involved in order erase the lingering bad habits of the past,without trying to erase it all.

If today was 30 years ago Detroit could have been a cigarette commercial,some guy sitting in the top of the 2nd tallest building in the city having a puff as he pans around out over the city and saying - you have come a long way baby.

Of course now the cigarette would be replaced with the perfectly socially acceptable bong hit.
    Last edited by Richard; December-02-22 at 07:06 PM.

These buildings will have a lovely view of a highway overpass, brown water, and piles of coal. Say what you will about Detroit VS Cleveland, at least our industrial armpit isn't right next door to downtown.

Someone tell Dan that the Cuyahoga is no Detroit River, and Lake Erie views are indeed possible with the right building location.

I agree Cleveland weirdly ignores its lakefront, but the success of The Flats proves the river is no barrier to a vibrant district.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    These buildings will have a lovely view of a highway overpass, brown water, and piles of coal. Say what you will about Detroit VS Cleveland, at least our industrial armpit isn't right next door to downtown.

Someone tell Dan that the Cuyahoga is no Detroit River, and Lake Erie views are indeed possible with the right building location.
    Yeah Cleveland is pretty bad in terms of scenery. Their waterfront is also atrocious. Blocked entirely by a highway, railway and airport.

Even if you get a view of lake Erie you're going to be looking at algae blooms.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; December-03-22 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    But the dramatic views of the burning Cuyahoga certainly make up for that!

Just kidding, of course. I was at Cleveland Art Museum just before the pandemic and they were presenting a show on the 50th anniversary of the last burning of the Cuyahoga and the changes since. And, as much as I hate to give kudos to the mistake on the lake, just kidding again, their art collection is superior to our fabulous collection.

I'm happy for them. We're fellow sufferers and now have a common champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Just kidding, of course. I was at Cleveland Art Museum just before the pandemic and they were presenting a show on the 50th anniversary of the last burning of the Cuyahoga and the changes since. And, as much as I hate to give kudos to the mistake on the lake, just kidding again, their art collection is superior to our fabulous collection.

Lowell, with Cleveland being so close to Detroit, I'm almost ashamed to say I've never visited their museum. But what genre of art do they have that makes you feel their collections are superior to the DIA?

I know that gallery space wise, the DIA has 658,000 sq. ft. & 65,000 pieces of art, and Cleveland's has 592,000 sq. ft. and 61,000 pieces of art [not that that is any measurement of a museum's quality].

Also the DIA has the 3rd largest Italian and American painting collections in the USA, with an enormous Dutch/Flemish collection as well.

I do know that the DIA's endowment of $305 million is dwarfed by the $775 million of the Cleveland museum.

But what makes Cleveland's museum seem so superior to you?

If they develop that center "island" portion into residential/entertainment at some point, it could become a hip area.

Interesting facts about Ohio's largest cities... [not including suburbs, where Cleveland wins out]... I did not know Columbus was so high. Detroit may have lost a lot of people over the decades, but thankfully we are still the largest city in the state...

Rank City Population
    1 Columbus 906,528
    2 Cleveland 367,991
    3 Cincinnati 308,935
    Last edited by Gistok; December-07-22 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

You’re the second person in the last month that has mentioned to me that the Cleveland Art Museum is a cut above the DIA. I’ve never been to that one so I’ll take both your words on that as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Interesting facts about Ohio's largest cities... [not including suburbs, where Cleveland wins out]... I did not know Columbus was so high. Detroit may have lost a lot of people over the decades, but thankfully we are still the largest city in the state...

Rank City Population
    1 Columbus 906,528
    2 Cleveland 367,991
    3 Cincinnati 308,935
    Ohio is an interesting one in having a trio of large cities, fairly close together but none of them being dominant.

Columbus is indeed the most populous city proper, but Cincinnati is the largest CSA and Cleveland is the largest MSA.

I think the DIA and CMA have similar collections, but the CMA's building is far more impressive to me personally. The main atrium alone is spectacular and I felt like there was a lot more natural light in Cleveland's galleries. That's not to say the DIA is a bad museum, but I prefer the grand ambiance of the CMA.