Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Honoring Ernie Harwell

Out of deep respect for Mr. Harwell lets pressure the Tigers and Comerica to rename Comerica Park. How about Harwell Field at Comerica Park??? Any takers

I like it. People could call it the Harwell or Harwell Field rather than the CoPa or Comerica Park, a corporate entity that bought the naming rights then moved their headquarters out of the city. There might be clauses tho' to prevent the stadium name from being altered.

I'm in favor of the idea...A legendary name in the community is always better than any corp.

I think Ernie is happy with the statue they have there.
    Anything else would be too much for him. The guy is humble and wouldn't want that kind of a fuss.
    I've met the guy and he is honored to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame but I doubt he'd want a stadium named after him.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I think Ernie is happy with the statue they have there.
    Anything else would be too much for him. The guy is humble and wouldn't want that kind of a fuss.
    I've met the guy and he is honored to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame but I doubt he'd want a stadium named after him.
    I would support it but I agree with dadeeo that Mr. Harwell would say it is just too much. Let's face it though, the days of naming proffesional ballpark's and stadium's anything but corporate names other than Yankee's Stadium is over. I think we should digress and get back to naming them after great people or teams again.

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

Ernie Harwell's opening day line. Honor enough.

It's not just Harwell Field, it's Harwell Field at Comerica Park

I wonder what Comerica Bank would have to say about that.

Money doesn't talk, it swears

Blarf Guest

Comerica's commercials say they care about the community, which must be why they moved their corporate headquarters out of it.

I think a nice honor for Ernie would be to have a screen located somewhere in the park showing Tiger highlights from the past with Ernie's play-by play. This might get too repetitive so maybe just show them on the big screen during rain delays or incorporate them into fireworks displays, etc. so parents could say to their kids," That's the greatest Tigers announcer ever. That's the guy with the statue, just like the players out in left field." The main thing would be for Ernie's voice to live on and be exposed to future generations.

Blarf Guest

I wonder if Ernie would be up for calling one more inning live. That would be pretty rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Comerica's commercials say they care about the community, which must be why they moved their corporate headquarters out of it.
    Dallas isn't a community?

I guarantee that there will not be a single dry eye at the park or with anyone watching tonight during the 3rd inning. It will be quite an emotional moment. How do you say thank you to this man for all that he's given us knowing that this may be the last time we see him in public? His courage in facing his illness and his faith in God are just two examples of how a man can lead by his actions.
    I'm hoping that the inspiration this fine man gives will somehow rub off on this team and carry them to a division crown and success in the postseason.

Ernie's appearance is scheduled to happen BEFORE the game starts according to the Tigers web site.
    http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=det

I certainly hope Fox Sports channel will show his speech before the game. They didn't show the video tribute to Mark Fidrych earlier this year before a Tiger game after he passed. They never show the National Anthem being played before Tiger games. Considering the emotions flowing thru the stadium all daylong for Ernie, I hope he makes an appearance to the broadcast booth of Fox Sports and calls a half-inning or so. Because he was a radio play-by-play broadcaster, I'm sure he'll show up in the radio booth. It would be great if Paul Carey was there to be part of Ernie's final calls of the game too.

^^^I was at the game, jefferson78 is right, Ernie Harwell came out in the middle of the 3rd inning. It was awesome! And there was definately people in tears. Ernie was a little before my time but it was still great to see him. We had awesome seats and I tried to take some pictures of him but the didn't come out the greatest.