Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default AMC closes Fairlane Town Center theater

Dearborn has lost its only mainstream movie theater as of last Sunday, as the AMC theater in Fairlane Town Center shut its doors for the last time. Mall management has said they are lining up tenants to replace the theater. The theater hasn't had a remodel since it opened in 2000.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...l/69648259007/

Looks like AMC [[Formally Star Theaters) got tired of all the riff-raffs.

I used to go there when it was called Star Theatres opened in 1999. Now it's just warned out its atmosphere. Since Fairlane Mall is in the brink of dying, what new theatre or business venture will set in store there.

Be like Lakeside Mall, soon it's going to a new Pleasantville lofts, condos, apts. and retail wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Dearborn has lost its only mainstream movie theater as of last Sunday, as the AMC theater in Fairlane Town Center shut its doors for the last time. Mall management has said they are lining up tenants to replace the theater. The theater hasn't had a remodel since it opened in 2000.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...l/69648259007/
    Damn I guess Wakanda Forever was a fitting final movie that I saw there. I had no idea this was shocking. They always seemed crowded and full during MCU film showings.

That is just the beginning. Many of these theatres are losing money due to people are still not comfortable sitting in a crowded theatre with possibly germ carrying movie goers. I am surprised that Fairlane is still holding on. Many malls had fell by the wayside in the past 10 years. Fairlane had already lost Sears and Lord and Taylor. Once Macy’s and Penneys decide to close then we should consider Fairlane a dead mall. Some parts of it is already deserted when I last shopped there a year ago this time

Another problem theaters are having a problem is lack of product. Check your local listings.

Quote Originally Posted by WKL View Post
    Another problem theaters are shaving a problem is lack of product. Check your local listings.
    That's a great point. Companies that make the movies have divided their supply between a few huge cost/revenue blockbusters that go to the theaters, along with a few animated kids flicks, and smaller movies commissioned by the streaming services. Is there anyone over age 40 going to movies? It's mostly under age 30. Dramas and romcoms are dead, and the police/action movies are much fewer.

Another problem theaters are having a problem is lack of product. Check your local listings.
    Agreed 1000%

Even "blockbusters" aren't doing very well. Black Panther 2 has only pulled in $460 million worldwide against a production budget of $250 million. That isn't a money making movie, as, usually, double the production budget is spent on marketing and advertising. For a $250 million movie to make it's money back, it has to make $500 to $600 million. I think the new Spider Man movie has been the only "blockbuster" to make it's money back.

Many of the actors are mediocre too. Overpaid too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I think the new Spider Man movie has been the only "blockbuster" to make it's money back.
    THE BATMAN also raked in a lot of money... approaching a billion.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That's a great point. Companies that make the movies have divided their supply between a few huge cost/revenue blockbusters that go to the theaters, along with a few animated kids flicks, and smaller movies commissioned by the streaming services. Is there anyone over age 40 going to movies? It's mostly under age 30. Dramas and romcoms are dead, and the police/action movies are much fewer.
    I'm 74 and I went to the movies this weekend to see Black Panther Wakanda Forever.

I'm 68 and the last movie I saw in a theatre was What Women Want in 2000. [[Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt). I am still looking for those two hours back.