Pontiac. The Silverdome is gone.

I am not sure what rules the NFL has about changing the
    location of a franchise but several teams recently have
    shifted from one location to another. Those locations moves
    are not rare in the NFL at this time. I suspect that moving
    a team away from the nation's capital is a little more
    challenging than moving a team away from Oakland,
    Baltimore or St. Louis.
    Lots of owners of pro teams aren't local. They buy what is available. That doesn't mean they have any desire to move them. Wilson owned the Bills. Gores bought the Pistons. Gilbert bought the Cavs. Karmonos bought the Whalers. Devos bought the Magic. Vinik bought the Lightning. The Marlins, a team that probably should be moved, has had 4 owners, none of which were local I don't believe. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Meanwhile on the Lions thread people were stating someone might buy them and move them out of this market, which of course is nonsense, but not as much as moving a team out of Washington to put a 2nd team here.
    Last edited by 401don; November-05-22 at 10:16 AM.

Ishbia must have huge resources. I know he owns UWM, and is a big reason Mel Tucker got his bag last year. He can by the Commanders and still keep them in D.C. Don't see why he would move them anyway since they've been there since 1932.

Keep an eye out from Jeff Bezos from Amazon. He wants dibs on the Commanders.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the Ford Family to sell the Lions.

Jay-Z Is Partnering With Jeff Bezos To Put A Bid On NFL Franchise Valued At $6 Billion [[msn.com)

No mention of Matt Ishbia. He probably gets outbidded by these heavyweights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Ishbia must have huge resources... Don't see why he would move them anyway since they've been there since 1932.
    I don't care who buys the team. I only hope they change the name. Commander is a middling grade, equivalent to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the US Army. Not a term with a great deal of cachet.

Dan Gilbert, the man Ishbia desperately wants to be, owns a non-local sports team, the Cleveland Cavaliers.

He wouldn't move them here. There's only enough market for one American football team.

He's just doing the billionaire checklist and he's on "sports team" right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I don't care who buys the team. I only hope they change the name. Commander is a middling grade, equivalent to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the US Army. Not a term with a great deal of cachet.

I agree. The name sucks just like the Cleveland Guardians.

Yeah, that one too.

Ralph C. Wilson of Grosse Pointe bought the then AFL Buffalo Bills. 1960 I believe.

Last I checked it was a bit of a boat ride to Buffalo.

The Redskins name offended Native Americans -- I get that.

IMHO Washington Red Foreskins is a name that would have offended no one except a few venereal-diseased politicians. It would have maintained the tradition in a slightly altered form. And would have made for interesting helmets.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; November-11-22 at 09:09 AM.

Agreed. They should have just stayed as "Washington Football Team". They had some pretty cool branding things.

Or - maybe go the soccer route? Washington FC?

Either way, still better than Commanders.

That Ishiba guy is building a house on Strathmoor across from Springdale Golf Course, it's the size of an office building. There's a lot of huge houses on that street but there ain't nothing that huge.

Decided to go to the bargain bin and just buy an nba team instead. 4 billion for the Phoenix Suns and arena.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...s/69744399007/

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ralph C. Wilson of Grosse Pointe bought the then AFL Buffalo Bills. 1960 I believe.
    Until the late 60s or early 70s, Wilson's office and insurance agency was in One Woodward. I think he was on the 15th floor and we used to see him in building cafeteria.

I wonder if he'll underpay the Suns players as much as he does his own employees?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Until the late 60s or early 70s, Wilson's office and insurance agency was in One Woodward. I think he was on the 15th floor and we used to see him in building cafeteria.

I don't know if his agency is still there, but he moved to Southfield on the corner of Telegraph and Civic Center Drive after he left Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I wonder if he'll underpay the Suns players as much as he does his own employees?

First, he needs to clean house of all the sexual predators that are still there from Sarver's regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    The Redskins name offended Native Americans -- I get that.

IMHO Washington Red Foreskins is a name that would have offended no one except a few venereal-diseased politicians. It would have maintained the tradition in a slightly altered form. And would have made for interesting helmets.

Thanks again for the bucketful of chuckles, HW.

In the same frame of mind, how about the Washington "Members" for a revamping?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Keep an eye out from Jeff Bezos from Amazon. He wants dibs on the Commanders.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the Ford Family to sell the Lions.
    I heard rumor after WCF died that there were conversations between Ford Family and Dan Gilbert[[all sealed) about transition when the widow kicks the bucket. That was before Gilbert had stroke; would like to see anyone[[ Gilbert, Ishbia, out of town billionaire) buy the Lions. I hope I'm not on my deathbed when it finally happens[[ I'm 58)....

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    I heard rumor after WCF died that there were conversations between Ford Family and Dan Gilbert[[all sealed) about transition when the widow kicks the bucket. That was before Gilbert had stroke; would like to see anyone[[ Gilbert, Ishbia, out of town billionaire) buy the Lions. I hope I'm not on my deathbed when it finally happens[[ I'm 58)....
    Heard the same rumor a while ago about Ishbia and the Fords.
    The billionaire club is small enough that I would venture to guess that if one wants to ‘talk’ to another that the appropriate meetings can and do happen at some level if there are no preexisting hard feelings.

Not out to defend the Ford ownership of the Lions but I find it illogical and laughable that any individual would sell a profitable fast appreciating asset of extremely high value based on what other people think or want. Maybe I’m wrong and that’s how some people invest or do business by taking Joe Schmo’s opinion and advice but I am willing to guess that the Fords are not one of those.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; December-30-22 at 05:48 PM.

The aging Martha Firestone Ford, widow of William Clay Ford [died 2014], is no longer the principal owner of the Lions. She apparently "gave" controlling interest in the Lions to her daughter Sheila Firestone Ford Hamp, who runs it now.

Sheila may be running team as CEO in Martha's stead, but ownership has not passed. When she goes, one of the children would have to buy out the other 3 for value of team. Team is worth approx $3B, even for a Ford that is lot of dough to cough up.
    Fingers crossed team will be sold and we will have new owner after being laughingstock of NFL for 63 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Sheila may be running team as CEO in Martha's stead, but ownership has not passed. When she goes, one of the children would have to buy out the other 3 for value of team. Team is worth approx $3B, even for a Ford that is lot of dough to cough up.
    Fingers crossed team will be sold and we will have new owner after being laughingstock of NFL for 63 yrs
    Again I understand why you would like to see new ownership.
    I just have trouble with making up a narratives to fit what one would want. The Fords don’t “have” to do anything. Multiple owners are allowed when inherited. Lions are a Ford family private property. They can do what they want with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...anchise_owners
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; December-31-22 at 10:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast