Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default QLine ridership up as streetcar works to improve service

I hope this trend continues...

The QLine, operated by nonprofit M-1 Rail, reopened late September 2021 after closing in March 2020. Average daily ridership was 969 last October through January. It increased to 1,522 riders a day in February-May and June-September was at an average of 2,285 riders per day, according to M-1 Rail's annual report. In 2019, the QLine delivered about 3,000 trips a day, Crain's previously reported.Its most recent documented economic impact was $8.1 billion from renovations, expansions, retail, restaurants and more across Woodward and beyond, communications officer Dan Lijana told Crain's.
    The 12-stop battery-operated streetcar service travels 3.3 miles each way on Woodward Avenue from Congress Street north to West Grand Boulevard, passing through Downtown, Midtown, the North End and New Center. The first stop is a 7-minute walk from the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, and the last is a 5-minute walk from the Fisher Building. Current hours of operation are 8 a.m.-midnight Monday-Saturday and 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/transp...rvice-improves

More development in the corridor means more riders.

"SoMa" will make the Mack Ave station one of the busiest on the line once the new apartments and Target open up.

Ridership is up in the Q-line due to free rides. Wait until the pay rates starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Ridership is up in the Q-line due to free rides. Wait until the pay rates starts.
    It's always free since few ever paid. Doesn't the ridership seem extremely low for a free choo choo?

How does patronage on the Q line compare to the number of passengers
    carried on other no-cost street car operations including those in Cincinnati, Kansas City and Milwaukee? There appear to be quite a few passengers when I ride the convenient Q line.

i've been pleasantly surprised at how full the qline has been when i take it recently. i usually just ride it from CM to midtown to cut down on a walk or bike ride time, if we got more lines connecting into other popular residential areas i'd easily take it daily.

the People Mover was absolutely jammed all weekend with Youmacon happening. loved to see it. being in a packed train car reminded me nostalgically of living in NYC. wishing this experience for more Detroiters, especially as more and more new residential becomes available downtown.

Once Target open the Qline will be put to good use by residents living in the downtown area going shopping at Target for their daily basic needs and taking the Qline back downtown where they live

The Q would be much better if it had dedicated lanes. This is done in front of Little Caesars arena and should be followed through on the entire line. There is zero reason Woodward needs three lanes of traffic. With dedicated lanes, the streetcars could move faster and offer a more convenient service.

I will take local public transportation only when you peel my cold dead fingers from...................well, never mind, y'all know the rest.

^ I'll second that Ray!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-10-22 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post

Economic impact 8.1 billion Vietnamese Dong more likely…

I have a vehicle but I support public transportation due to the continuing hiking of gas prices and bad roads

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    How does patronage on the Q line compare to the number of passengers
    carried on other no-cost street car operations including those in Cincinnati, Kansas City and Milwaukee? There appear to be quite a few passengers when I ride the convenient Q line.
    Best info I could find:

*Cincinnati [[The Connector) - 2,400 as of May 2022
    *Kansas City [[KC Streetcar) - 2,910 as of Dec 2021
    *Milwaukee [[The Hop) - 2,191 in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Best info I could find:

*Cincinnati [[The Connector) - 2,400 as of May 2022
    *Kansas City [[KC Streetcar) - 2,910 as of Dec 2021
    *Milwaukee [[The Hop) - 2,191 in 2018
    Abysmal ridership on most "modern" streetcars. The only North American systems that have high riderships are the remaining legacy systems such as those in San Francisco, Boston or Toronto. This is partly due to network effects [[more than just a single line) as well as the fact these cities have way higher population densities and lots of pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Abysmal ridership on most "modern" streetcars. The only North American systems that have high riderships are the remaining legacy systems such as those in San Francisco, Boston or Toronto. This is partly due to network effects [[more than just a single line) as well as the fact these cities have way higher population densities and lots of pedestrians.
    Not to mention that those lines goes through the cities mentioned and not just in the downtown areas. Also as was mentioned there are other systems that these lines network to. We have to give Detroit a chance to do this. I am more in favor of having the Qline extend to 8 mile road and have rapid busses that will connect to it from crossing mile roads thoroughfares and avenues such as Grand River, Gratiot, Michigan, and Jefferson

In its current configuration I believe the Q Line is a waste of space for almost everybody. I suppose there are some who find it useful, but I would say the vast majority of people don't. I'm in the city all the time, I did ride it once, just to say that I did but I can't find any reason to use it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    In its current configuration I believe the Q Line is a waste of space for almost everybody. I suppose there are some who find it useful, but I would say the vast majority of people don't. I'm in the city all the time, I did ride it once, just to say that I did but I can't find any reason to use it at all.
    It won't be once more stores open within theaters corridor especially Target. It was supposed to extend to 8 mile rd but the plug was pulled by Snyder and Bing

Can we PLEEEEASE just extend the thing to 8 mile [[or 9 mile to connect with the first suburban downtown)? C'mon man...