Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $10B Revitalization Plan for Highland Park Announced

So runs a headline in today's Free Press. However, as one who lived half my adult life in Highland Park and had my son home-birthed there, please excuse me if I lift an eyebrow at such a grandiose announcement, having heard my share of such salvations for HP over time. So I'll let you read and decide: https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...7afda4_1348689

On the other hand I always have and still believe Highland Park has tremendous potential with great location straddling the Woodward Corridor, with expressway interchanges, rail and infrastructure access, and large areas of historic housing.

Unfortunately, as the article reveals, both plans and funding are sketchy. Only one project of significance is mentioned, on the site of the former Sears store. As the current mayor notes, and I concur with, in the final paragraph of the story...

“I would never turn my back on progress,” Yopp said. “So understand this - I've not seen $10 billion. I've not seen any money at this point. But I do know this, if in fact it's the truth, I'm for it.”

Maybe Michael Jackson's family will build an amusement park there.

It would be nice to happen but I won't hold my breath!
    Until big cities deal with the crime and good public services in order people won't come in big numbers.
    I have a friend whose lived in the Gold Coast of Chicago for years and she's planning on moving when her lease runs out due to all the high end shops right next to her building being robbed non stop etc. Same with a friend who lives in LA.

Uh isn't this the same thing that happened to Serbia? An entity [[think it was the Chinese) dumped a fuck ton of money into it for laundering purposes...

That is like 7 Hudson Site, 33 Brewster Douglas Development, or 100 City Modern projects within the city of Highland Park.

Laughable is all this is.

Sounds like the District Detroit announcements on steroids. "We'll have big tech moving in! New factories! Clean energy! Free water! Free houses! Robot butlers! Neil deGrasse Tyson will tutor your children at the new Highland Park High School on the moon!"

Pick a buzz word and you'll find it in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So runs a headline in today's Free Press. However, as one who lived half my adult life in Highland Park and had my son home-birthed there, please excuse me if I lift an eyebrow at such a grandiose announcement, having heard my share of such salvations for HP over time. So I'll let you read and decide: https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...7afda4_1348689

On the other hand I always have and still believe Highland Park has tremendous potential with great location straddling the Woodward Corridor, with expressway interchanges, rail and infrastructure access, and large areas of historic housing.

Unfortunately, as the article reveals, both plans and funding are sketchy. Only one project of significance is mentioned, on the site of the former Sears store. As the current mayor notes, and I concur with, in the final paragraph of the story...

“I would never turn my back on progress,” Yopp said. “So understand this - I've not seen $10 billion. I've not seen any money at this point. But I do know this, if in fact it's the truth, I'm for it.”
    The Freep headline on this article reflects poorly on the newspaper's standards. The $10 billion figure is ridiculous and it eliminates the credibility of anything in the article. $10 billion exceeds the assessed taxable values of all of the property in the entire city by several multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The Freep headline on this article reflects poorly on the newspaper's standards. The $10 billion figure is ridiculous and it eliminates the credibility of anything in the article. $10 billion exceeds the assessed taxable values of all of the property in the entire city by several multiples.
    That was my initial thought. Millions, maybe. Billions? Dream on.

I like to say that if one is fantasizing about spending money one doesn't have then why spend peanuts? So why not a trillion dollar project? Fantasies are free.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post

First phase $127 million over 4 years,that like building 2 apartment complex’s,they did not give a timeframe on the total $10 billion investment,could be over the next 100 years.

It may be physiological ploy,Highland Park has a $10 billion investment coming in,you need to be part of the next best thing and invest now before you lose the opportunity of a lifetime.