Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where is Karen Neuman? No more star spangled banner?

Detroit News had a teaser!

I think her name is "Karen Newman", not the spelling you used. There is a Freep article behind a paywall: https://www.freep.com/story/news/col...007/?gnt-cfr=1

I haven't seen her in a while, I just assumed she had retired. The singer they had Monday night got through the anthem a lot faster

Yea, a much as I loved Karen as a fixture at the Joe, and having been watching hockey since the early 90's, she had a great voice and could really belt out the anthem. Though over the last 7-8 years, it seemed like her voice could not hit those high notes any longer. You can even see at some point she modified how she sang the anthem so as to not have to hit them any longer.

Hey she had a great run, sang the anthem for a couple decades, probably made a good amount of $$ to boot. Time for someone new to take it on.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Detroit News had a teaser!
    Maybe ask the zamboni guy?

I mean, she's been singing around here since the 80's, so she's got to be either pushing 60 or over the top and down the other side. Time for some new blood
    Found this in MLive
    A 1978 graduate of Grand Blanc High School, it's a job Newman never imagined having. One of three sets of twins, she pursued a degree in music from Oakland University and spent the early part of her career bouncing around different jobs.
    So, born about 1960. Around 62 yrs old....
    Last edited by jcole; October-20-22 at 04:01 PM.

Yes. Good for her! The national anthem is NOT an easy song to sing, hence a few disasters that have been witnessed of those trying. I always liked Whitney Huston's take on it.

Saw Newman sing for a big-band and jazz event in Dearborn.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    ...Hey she had a great run, sang the anthem for a couple decades, probably made a good amount of $$ to boot. Time for someone new to take it on.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-20-22 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes. Good for her! The national anthem is NOT an easy song to sing, hence a few disasters that have been witnessed of those trying. I always liked Whitney Huston's take on it.

Saw Newman sing for a big-band and jazz event in Dearborn.

Hendrix did my favorite version.

It does seem a little classless the way they separated from her. She contributed a lot to the franchise experience over the years; you would think they could have at least had a little sending off ceremony or something.

That said, I feel like this is inline with where the league is going. Gambling, ads on jerseys, distracting/moving images on the boards -- its like we are living in Bif Tannen's America.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    That said, I feel like this is inline with where the league is going. Gambling, ads on jerseys, distracting/moving images on the boards -- its like we are living in Bif Tannen's America. 1953
    GREAT SCOTT.

You just blew my mind.

Just like the Red Wings Management let the Zamboni driver go after 50 years. They let Neuman go after 30 years. Horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just like the Red Wings Management let the Zamboni driver go after 50 years. They let Neuman go after 30 years. Horrible!
    I'm no huge fan of the Wings management or owners but wasn't the Zamboni guy urinating in open drains while there were people around?

Good Riddance! She's been crackling the speakers in my truck for over 20 years. The Olympia experience in general is stuck in a 1990s time warp. Joe Louis, Comerica, LCA. Same soundtrack, same atmosphere, same experience. Even the organist is a little boring....they could feature him between face-offs if he'd drop the bass a little. [[Haven't been to a Pistons game at LCA so I'm not quite sure what that is).

Liven it up a little. Get a new anthem singer. Rotate some in and out. Find someone who can belt that thing out. Change the DJ....please.

And oh, where's this District Detroit we were promised, makes me wonder if the Ilitches would be in worse shape had they not swooned the Pistons into their house.

"Christmas Eve on Woodward Avenue" is a staple on my Apple Music Holiday playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Good Riddance! She's been crackling the speakers in my truck for over 20 years. The Olympia experience in general is stuck in a 1990s time warp. Joe Louis, Comerica, LCA. Same soundtrack, same atmosphere, same experience. Even the organist is a little boring....they could feature him between face-offs if he'd drop the bass a little. [[Haven't been to a Pistons game at LCA so I'm not quite sure what that is).

Liven it up a little. Get a new anthem singer. Rotate some in and out. Find someone who can belt that thing out. Change the DJ....please.

And oh, where's this District Detroit we were promised, makes me wonder if the Ilitches would be in worse shape had they not swooned the Pistons into their house.
    Actually Comerica has moved to the annoying as hell pounding rap and dance beats now. It's on during the play as well. It was so bad in the lower deck that I moved to the back half of the upper deck. And yeah, I'm old but I would have hated it when I was much younger also. Why do fans constantly have to have a "jump up and down hey look at me!" moment.

^ Yep. I'm past feeling I should apologize for not liking most rap music that's become increasingly coarse, imitative, and vulgar from what it started out from. I was at what was 'suppose' to be a professional staff meeting/ professional development [day-time business hours] and during the breaks on clicked on the thumping rap! Like really?

People have varied tastes and interests in music. When in doubt it's probably best not to play anything during business meetings.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-23-22 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm no huge fan of the Wings management or owners but wasn't the Zamboni guy urinating in open drains while there were people around?

50 years scootering around the ice like that means he may have developed an impatient bladder problem.

Unless there's more behind the scenes, the way the Wings went about this was in very poor taste. As others have mentioned, if change is needed why not rotate in some new singers and allow her to ease out of the job? I mean she's been with the Red Wings for longer than just about anyone there, she's kind of earned a respectable farewell.

with 40+ home games per year, they really couldn't just keep her around for one of those? at least out of respect

There is nothing wrong with moving on. She didn't have a lifetime gig. The Flyers finally moved on from having Kate Smith sing God Bless American before playoff games.

Maybe they found a singer who could count finally.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    There is nothing wrong with moving on. She didn't have a lifetime gig. The Flyers finally moved on from having Kate Smith sing God Bless American before playoff games.
    Yeah but Kate Smith was dead for several years before they stopped playing her version.