Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default State Fair Colliseum demo

From the HistoricDetroit.org facebook page.

Colliseum has been demolished
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I inhaled plenty of cow manure fumes there.

And sheep shit and pig dung and BO from other humans. And I don't really miss it. If anyone does, head up to Armada, Imlay City or down to Belleville in late summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I inhaled plenty of cow manure fumes there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And sheep shit and pig dung and BO from other humans. And I don't really miss it. If anyone does, head up to Armada, Imlay City or down to Belleville in late summer.
    Or head over to the next Orange Julius rally.

I remember seeing the Shrine Circus there back in my '60s childhood, and it being cold and drafty back then. And of course I remember the ummm... atmosphere there during the State Fair. I must confess though that I didn't realize that that old barn was still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Or head over to the next Orange Julius rally.
    Sullying the name of the precious Orange Julius... for shame...

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Sullying the name of the precious Orange Julius... for shame...
    Maybe Uncle Joe will send 82 billion for the demo, with pork!

^ A billion here -- a billion there. No worries... it'll all work out and not a problem we're 'told'.........

Demolition of the State Fair Coliseum began in January 2022. What remains is a portion of the building that will be included in a small park where the Coliseum stood. Another waste of historic building.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Which smelled worse animal droppings or human BO?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Which smelled worse animal droppings or human BO?
    As a farm kid raised in the rural midwest, chicken shit from commercial-size poultry farms is the worst shit on the animal waste fragrance offense spectrum imho.

Having lived in Almont for almost 35 years, I vote pig shit; it has the most sickly sweet smell I've ever smelt. Although, Imlay City in late summer often smelled of open vats of Vlasic pickles curing and a west wind would carry it for miles and let me tell you, it could put you off pickles for a while. It was vile.
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    As a farm kid raised in the rural midwest, chicken shit from commercial-size poultry farms is the worst shit on the animal waste fragrance offense spectrum imho.

I am with Jcole. Pig manure is the worst. My in-laws in Kansas had a pig operation for several years. They sold it off, demolished the shed, and grated the soil underneath. About five years later, when we were visiting from California, our brother-in-law was trenching the site for sewage lines. You could still smell the pigs!

Há Ohio is the pig farmer state,try driving through the rural parts and hold your breath for 100 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Pig manure is the worst.
    One of my chores when I lived on a farm in New England was to clean the pig pen. If you have this job, it means you're the low man on the totem pole. If there's more than one pig pen, it means you've died and gone to hell. The vapors literally can render you unconscious. If that happens, the hogs will eat you. The trick to surviving this chore is to hold your breath while you're in the pig pen -- you've got to work fast.

How about when while you are cleaning the pen they get rambunctious and start bucking like a horse and that slop hits you in the face or pours down over the top of your boots.