Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default We Went Volkswagen - Mechanic/ Repair Shop Recc?

Hola! Many here know I usually buy used Toyotas. Still loyal there, but we came upon a nice 10 year old Volkswagen compact model deal -- great on gas! Too good to pass up on pricewise [especially in this current car-price cost insanity].

From a private seller/ friend - great price - out of state. Recommendations for a tri-county shop to maintain it would be appreciated. Dealerships for European cars are sky-high! Looking for a private small shop specializing in Volk-sies!

Thank you !
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-30-22 at 08:31 PM.

Best I know of is Steve's European. But they're in Pontiac.

I don't know of anyplace here in Detroit.

^ Thanks. Pontiac's not so far if shaving off a huge repair cost! I was referred to a shop in Berkley, MI specializing in European: Quality Foreign Car Services.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Best I know of is Steve's European. But they're in Pontiac.

I don't know of anyplace here in Detroit.
    Steve's European is in Waterford. Also in Waterford is Munks, on M-59 just east of Elizabeth Lake Rd.

Back when I drove VW's I used Autohaus in Royal Oak. https://autohaus.net/

They also sell quality used VW's, Audi's, BMW's and others. They've been around since the 70's, which is almost always and indicator of quality.

^ Thank's Lowell! I'd forgotten about them.

They review pretty well/ ideal location. VW running great [I now see why some find them fun/ responsive to drive!] but I do want some overall detailing soon.

VW parts not ALL obscure and expensive as I thought they'd be. Found replacement brake bulb at nearby Autozone and it was fast to replace in driveway! Woo-hoo!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-19-22 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Steve's European is in Waterford. Also in Waterford is Munks, on M-59 just east of Elizabeth Lake Rd.
    MAJOR props to Steve's in Waterford. My 2016 VW GTI <which is now my son's 2016 VW GTI> needed a new turbocharger, new oil pan, new... you get the idea. At just shy of 200K miles, it needed some TLC. Extremely honest and up-front. Saved me literally thousands over the VW dealership in Farmington, plus got me a more durable solution when it came to the oil pan. Because, guess what? The OEM replacement oil pan is plastic, whereas Steve's put on a metal pan because um yeah those plastic pans don't do too well on Michigan's crappy roads