Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "The Brooke" development breaks ground in Southwest Detroit

Finally the Southwest Detroit development gets shovels in the ground after a little over 4 years of being announced in 2018.

Attachment 42267

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/09/20/23-million-housing-development-project-breaks-ground-in-southwest-detroit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-qkXS2zhQ8

Really excellent development right here. Look forward to watching it go up.

Great development wise,but the rendering looks like a jail. Maybe some kind of accents to break up the block with windows look?

I'd gain 20 pounds easy if I lived that close to Honey Bee.

Lots of opportunity for Hubbard Richards to develop in the coming years. Hopefully the first of many new projects to come!

i like seeing the mid-rise mixed use developments covering so many full blocks around corktown/hubbard/southwest. this should be really good for bringing more density to near-downtown.

i do wonder when we're going to start seeing the empty land in between the corktown boom and the downtown area be filled in? there are ACRES of surface parking immediate both sides of the lodge south of 75 where more buildings like this would be huge for connecting the neighborhoods. i say cap the lodge south of michigan with a park and build more of these buildings along the sides.

I can never understand the math on these projects. I assume the land cost nothing and yet it's 300K per unit for these mostly small apts.?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I can never understand the math on these projects. I assume the land cost nothing and yet it's 300K per unit for these mostly small apts.?
    $23M is likely total project budget which includes permits, sitework, remediation and professional fees. If you break down the numbers and get to a dollar per SF it's not high by any means. The per unit cost really isn't relevant, rather it's per SF cost the client cares about.

This is just a hypothetical breakdown:
    78 units x ~700 SF/unit = 54,600 SF
    54,600 x 1.25 bldg grossing factor = 68,250 SF
    $23M/68,250 bgsf = $337/SF

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    i do wonder when we're going to start seeing the empty land in between the corktown boom and the downtown area be filled in? there are ACRES of surface parking immediate both sides of the lodge south of 75 where more buildings like this would be huge for connecting the neighborhoods. i say cap the lodge south of michigan with a park and build more of these buildings along the sides.
    The 1200 Sixth St properties are a huge dead zone that's been "for sale" for too many years. http://www.1200sixthstreet.com/

The west side of Downtown is lagging behind when it comes to development for several reasons, too much surface parking being one of the major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    imagine how desirable 1200 6th and the surrounding area would be if the Lodge were capped with a park.

i don't see how you reconnect Corktown/Hubbard with downtown without it.
    Love that vision!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The 1200 Sixth St properties are a huge dead zone that's been "for sale" for too many years. http://www.1200sixthstreet.com/

The west side of Downtown is lagging behind when it comes to development for several reasons, too much surface parking being one of the major issues.
    Man, how old has this proposed development been around? The parking situation is hideous. Still too much surface parking space. In Atlanta, about every multistory residential complex has a parking structure integrated with the complex. Why in Detroit is that concept so foreign? Think about how many more residential units you could build if Detroit developers just built parking structures with them.

I would love to see them reopen Brooklyn Street to Howard Street and put townhouses along that new section as well as along Sixth Street in that section. I think the two towers need to be torn down and turned into a park. No one is going to refurbish those towers for residential use. Well, that's my two cents.
    Last edited by royce; September-25-22 at 06:29 AM.