Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Lafayette Coney Island closed due to failed health inspection!

What a stunning surprise!

LaFayette Coney Island in Downtown [[Gilberttown) Detroit is closed to a failed health inspection. They owners and crew have a lot a cleaning up to do.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/laf...on-sources-say

I'm still not going next door - Lafayette is the place!

If you're willing to eat what's inside the dog I don't think it much matters.

Thought the doggie lovers when to American Coney Island anyways. . . ...

Should have happened a long time ago.

Folks who operate American Coney Island next door would have to check their stoves, refrigerators and all the floors to see if there is no rat poop and other bugs on the on the floor.

The common problem in most restaurants is roaches!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Should have happened a long time ago.
    Perhaps around 1977.

I had a CT scan last year and they found a piece of undigested chili dog still stuck in my gut from the last time I was at Lafayette Coney Island in 1974.

They're definitely going to take a hit behind this...

There's a new proposal for health inspection grades to be posted on the front door [[like in NYC) that a lot of Detroit restaurants are up in arms about, and here you can see why.

Unless the local news dives into a very bland report from the health inspector and publishes their findings, no one would ever know about rat poop.

If Lafayette has rats in the basement, I'm pretty sure American does too. And Lafayette said they don't have rats, they just come in through holes in the basement walls. Well, that's pretty much the definition of having rats. And if they know they have holes in the basement, why the hell don't they fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    There's a new proposal for health inspection grades to be posted on the front door [[like in NYC) that a lot of Detroit restaurants are up in arms about, and here you can see why.
    That's been required in Ontario for years [[pass, conditional pass, or closed). Didn't realize it wasn't in Mich.
    Last edited by 401don; September-08-22 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smirnoff View Post
    thought the doggie lovers when to american coney island anyways. . . ...
    never!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That's been required in Ontario for years [[pass, conditional pass, or closed). Didn't realize it wasn't in Mich.
    Every foodservice establishment in GA has been required to post their most recent inspection score for many years now in plain sight of the customer. This is a number grade not just a pass, conditional pass, or closed.

BTW the article states that Lafayette closed voluntarily to take care of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Every foodservice establishment in GA has been required to post their most recent inspection score for many years now in plain sight of the customer. This is a number grade not just a pass, conditional pass, or closed.

BTW the article states that Lafayette closed voluntarily to take care of the problem.
    A conditional pass is for one or more minor violations and they have 48 hours to correct it and receive a pass grade.

Fla is a bit different

Rodents or evidence of soft droppings or roaches,doors are locked until it is resolved,immediately.

Improper food storage- dependent on type of food can result in immediate shut down or all food in that unit being thrown out.

Improper food temperatures outside of seafood is 48 hour fix it,no refrigeration units that do not hold proper temperature are not allowed in the restaurant.

I pay $120 per month for pest control per restaurant and never see a critter or bugs,I know the inspectors and they have told me stories like somebody was making sandwiches while brushing away the roaches.

If I do a service call and there are roaches in the equipment,I tell the customer I am leaving,they can call me back after they deal with the bugs,it’s nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Fla is a bit different

Rodents or evidence of soft droppings or roaches,doors are locked until it is resolved,immediately.

Improper food storage- dependent on type of food can result in immediate shut down or all food in that unit being thrown out.

Improper food temperatures outside of seafood is 48 hour fix it,no refrigeration units that do not hold proper temperature are not allowed in the restaurant.

I pay $120 per month for pest control per restaurant and never see a critter or bugs,I know the inspectors and they have told me stories like somebody was making sandwiches while brushing away the roaches.

If I do a service call and there are roaches in the equipment,I tell the customer I am leaving,they can call me back after they deal with the bugs,it’s nasty.
    I've seen roaches on the walls at a couple of not inexpensive rests. in Ana Maria Island and nearby Long Boat Key. Wondered if it was the area although I've never seen them further up the coast in the St. Pete area.

I've seen roaches on the walls at a couple of not inexpensive rests. in Ana Maria Island and nearby Long Boat Key. Wondered if it was the area although I've never seen them further up the coast in the St. Pete area.
    The health department,run by the state,post publicly every week inspection reports,news media etc,so everybody reads all of the details and dines accordingly.

I was kinda surprised they did not in the news release highlighted here.

St Pete and St Pete beach etc has become pricey,go to South St Pete and it is a different story the further up north you go it becomes less of a problem because it gets cold,Miami restaurants used to be horrible,it’s the little brown German roaches that once they take hold it can get out of control really quick.

I have to check bags and stuff from the dollar store by me,because they seem to have a problem.

If you want to see something scary,they used night vision câmaras attached to the windows of NYC restaurants,and counted 16 rats coming up through the floor drains etc in one restaurant alone.

Some of the stuff I see makes me not to ever want to eat out anywhere,but as a majority most places are pretty clean,you can usually tell when you walk in,but I rarely ever eat at chain places,only independent,they are usually more diligent.

Wow! You own/ manage restaurants too!? That's tough work [60+ hour weeks depending on size and kind of services]!

How do you find the time to post so often? ......

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...I pay $120 per month for pest control per restaurant and never see a critter or bugs, I know the inspectors and they have told me stories like somebody was making sandwiches while brushing away the roaches.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-08-22 at 06:10 PM.

Yep. I make it a point NOT to eat at restaurants connected to abandoned property for just that reason!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If Lafayette has rats in the basement, I'm pretty sure American does too. And Lafayette said they don't have rats, they just come in through holes in the basement walls. Well, that's pretty much the definition of having rats. And if they know they have holes in the basement, why the hell don't they fix them.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-08-22 at 06:11 PM.

Right-on! I'm about to fast-boil a few for my own coneys at home. Not something to eat often - nope!

I had chilli at a coney joint and bit down on what seemed to be a small rock. I prefer to make my own now.

If you're willing to eat what's inside the dog I don't think it much matters.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-08-22 at 06:12 PM.

People I know working in food service; front-of-the house level, or the actual cooking say sanitation is crucial for running a restaurant [above the food] but skimped on when staff is short and management slacks!

These late-night and twenty-four hour places really have to work on it or the grime builds along with the four and other-legged friends!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-09-22 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I had a CT scan last year and they found a piece of undigested chili dog still stuck in my gut from the last time I was at Lafayette Coney Island in 1974.
    I hate when that happens.

P.S. During deer hunting season circa 1978, I bagged a doe on Belle Isle by luring it out of the woods with a Coney Island. Not a shot was fired -- the bait felled her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Wow! You own/ manage restaurants too!? That's tough work [60+ hour weeks depending on size and kind of services]!

How do you find the time to post so often? ......
    I got older and discovered work smarter and not harder,in the 80s I had a night club,I worked from 10 am until 3:30 am,the next morning,7 days a week,now it is about being a silent partner,restaurant business is hard work,lots of good cooks have lousy business sense and open restaurants,I co-invest,provide support until they become profitable then they have the option to buy me out.

Its not time consuming to me and like any other business,treat your customers good,offer a good product at a fair price and do not try and get on the current fad.

Most of my investments are in Caribbean and southern style comfort food,we have lunch that will feed two people for $12 all fresh and vegetables purchased from the growers every morning.

Some of our specialty items have been voted #1 in the region for the last 3 years,$2 you can eat it for lunch and it is filling.

But I am not silent when it comes to critters and bugs and how customers are treated.

Restaurants and food trucks can be highly profitable but it is hard work and most owners are putting in 70+ hours per week.

I know people pulling in $350k + per year from food trucks but you have to be in your 20s to late 30s at best to have that kind of energy.

As far as finding time to post so often,it’s no different then anything else,I make time for things I have a vested interest in,I am to cheap to hire an investment brokerage,so I find things out for myself.

There are a few Detroit Coney Island restaurants in Florida,not sure if they are related but I stop in when I am in the areas,it’s not that bad lol

Chick-fil-A is the one on the level of nobody else it seems,lunch lines stretch for a long time but move quick,I see some were slated to open in Detroit this year.
    Last edited by Richard; September-08-22 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast