Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Diamond Jack River Cruise

Went on the river cruise yesterday, hadn't been on the boat for over a year at least. Was so disappointed that we didn't get as far as the Belle Isle Bridge, didn't go further east - didn't go around Belle Isle, didn't see most of the Canadian side, and then heading back, turned around again just past the Ambassador Bridge. Tour was only an hour, actually less than an hour once the boat got moving. When did this change? and why? I also learned that there no longer is a Diamond Jack cruise out of Wyandotte.

I totally agree. I was on the cruise at the end of June; very disappointed that it stopped short of Belle Isle.

Once they get economical electric boats I'm sure cruise times will go back to normal.

^Yes. Very disappointed to learn about the new reduced route they're now taking [unless you're on one of their chartered-event rides). I've ridden all three in the fleet [the Bell, Jack and Diamond Queen) before C-19. Indeed they used to go under the Belle Isle bridge, and a bit past the Isle before turning back south and the tours were a full two-hours long.

An extra treat was the horn-blow blast as we passed under the bridge.

Now we see price increased - yet less coverage... SHM. But there's part of me glad they didn't go under due to the closed-COVID summers. I'll have to hope for a chartered event where they have full routes.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-28-22 at 11:01 AM.

Hard to blame the operators who, like many businesses, are experiencing the double whammy of higher costs and smaller revenues with less visitors from conventions, etc. and some folks still nervous about close quarters.

Maybe because they lost the Diamond Jack and are down to two boats?

Really. What happened to the Diamond Jack? Sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

They didn't lose it per se, it was operating a tour out of their 2nd location in Wyandotte.

When fuel costs what it does somethings gotta give.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, sold to the Michigan Princess company. Renamed and operating out of Petoskey now.