Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Dream Cruise?

Default Dream Cruise?

I always wondered why Detroit never participated in the Dream Cruise. Ford help sponsored it. However, Ford can't get the Dream Cruise to extend into Detroit at least to Palmer Park

Back when kids cruised Woodward, it was from Royal Oak to Pontiac, so they didn't cruise Detroit. They cruised the drive in's from Totem Pole to Teds. Also, the original Dream Cruise in 95 was just in Ferndale to raise money for a soccer field

It’s been proposed many times over the years but never followed through with. But, seriously, would Detroit, and Highland Park, really want to endure the weeklong traffic disruption and fumes from those ancient lead burners? IMO it is better to have it an easily accessible short distance away with no expense or chaos to those cities. And, as jcole notes, it is of north burb origin, nostalgia and tradition.

^ Yep. Also, there are various Facebook/ twitter notices that point to smaller gatherings of Detroiter's who meet to showcase their cars.

I happened to go to Palmer Park yesterday evening and decided to take Woodward back home. There was no shortage of muscle cars all the way to Warren, [where I bailed] and I found myself in the midst of several drag races. I also saw a handful of lawn signs for "Cruisn' the D". EVERY day is race day in my area anyway.

^ Yeah-I'm hip! Thus why we have so many dog-gone speed-bumps. Yet I still see some flying over those.

Good times for the mechanics and tire spots in the near future!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-23-22 at 08:04 AM.

Dream Cruise is 1/3 cruise, and 2/3's parking to look at cars and talk to their owners.

But there's almost no where to park south of Ferndale [[and few places even in Ferndale). So for most of the summer, no cruising occurs south of 696 except to turn around in front of the Whistle Stop.

Because of the sheer amount of cars during the Dream Cruise, some cars will come down as far as 9 mile on Saturday, but even then, the cruising stopped being fun a few miles north.

Dream Cruise weekend underway in Metro Detroit

Jay Leno speaks with Local4 about the cruisers that are taking over the Woodward Dream Cruise
    Who doesn't love Jay "egalitarian" Leno?

Jay Leno on Hand for 2022 Woodward Dream Cruise
    Jay Leno on Hand for 2022 Woodward Dream Cruise
    You can watch it on YouTube.

Do people in Detroit want the Dream Cruise to extend south of 8 Mile? I'd say that answer is probably no, overall.

Limited benefits and a whole lot of negatives to the event overall. We get enough people from the suburbs coming into the city just to drive like ***holes, encourage them do it in their own communities one day per year.

If I remember correctly through the years, there have been several attempts at Dream Cruise events south of 8 Mile Road, none of which were successful enough to continue.

From everything I have read, the Dream Cruise brings in over 50 million dollars in revenue every August, most of which probably stays in Oakland County. Also, it's an event that brings people in from other states and countries to this area. As a comparison, the Detroit Auto Show has been barely hanging on for a decade now.

I thought that the cruise this year was very well attended up to that 5:30 rain shower, then the crowd thinned out somewhat, but it was still jammed up to the 9:00pm closing.

There are still perceptions that Detroit is not safe. And news stories about carjackings and shootings don't help. True or exaggerated, those feelings persist.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If I remember correctly through the years, there have been several attempts at Dream Cruise events south of 8 Mile Road, none of which were successful enough to continue.

From everything I have read, the Dream Cruise brings in over 50 million dollars in revenue every August, most of which probably stays in Oakland County. Also, it's an event that brings people in from other states and countries to this area. As a comparison, the Detroit Auto Show has been barely hanging on for a decade now.

I thought that the cruise this year was very well attended up to that 5:30 rain shower, then the crowd thinned out somewhat, but it was still jammed up to the 9:00pm closing.
    I think that the organizers and the big three want it to come to Detroit. Even Gilbert, Penske, Illitches, and Karmanos would probably help fund the extension with the Big 3. It's probably City leaders and city council are at odds with organizers on revenue it will make especially in Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I happened to go to Palmer Park yesterday evening and decided to take Woodward back home. There was no shortage of muscle cars all the way to Warren, [where I bailed] and I found myself in the midst of several drag races. I also saw a handful of lawn signs for "Cruisn' the D". EVERY day is race day in my area anyway.
    Palmer Park gathering is just an attempt for Detroit to have a dream Cruise but will never be as big and as organized

^ The participants enjoy it so I say go for it so long as fast burn-outs and dangerous donuts not occurring. Especially in front of me if I drive thru. LOL!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-23-22 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Do people in Detroit want the Dream Cruise to extend south of 8 Mile? I'd say that answer is probably no, overall.

Limited benefits and a whole lot of negatives to the event overall. We get enough people from the suburbs coming into the city just to drive like ***holes, encourage them do it in their own communities one day per year.
    You can’t be serious? Drivers in the city of Detroit all drive like they stole it! Stop signs are a suggestion speed limits don’t exist and lights are for decoration. No suburban city allows that nonsense.

^ 'Stole it!' Not all. I don't - or I'd be pushing something a newer suppose. LOL. But I see enough that I can't say it isn't a problem.

As I said elsewhere I now pause at a green light in case some maniac is running the red, especially at certain intersections.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-23-22 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You can’t be serious? Drivers in the city of Detroit all drive like they stole it! Stop signs are a suggestion speed limits don’t exist and lights are for decoration. No suburban city allows that nonsense.
    You don't seem to understand my post at all, I'd re-read it and try again at a relevant response.

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    There are still perceptions that Detroit is not safe. And news stories about carjackings and shootings don't help. True or exaggerated, those feelings persist.
    ^^ This. Is very true, even though that may not be the case. Perceptions that classic cars will be stolen or carjacked once you cross 8 Mile.

Ancient Lead Burners... Wow Lowell. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't be having this discussion. As far as I know Lead has been gone for 40+ years.

If we want to get technical,how come lead based paint has been banned in the house and all other aspects of society,except for art.

Michelangelo Buonarroti, Francisco Goya, Candido Portinari, and Vincent Van Gogh all painted with lead based paints,the EPA should be banning art work from those guys because of its known public health hazard.

Imagine the dream cruise of the future,ladies and gentlemen and thems,connect your battery cables for the 100th anniversary of the dream cruise featuring the ever so popular sexy looking …. Prius

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    Well,Detroit is still listed as in 3rd place with the most stolen autos in the country,they attributed that to lower income drives older cars which are easier to steal.

When it comes to classic cars,we know they can be,gone in 30 seconds.

Because art doesn't cause air pollution and little children don't normally lick it or eat paint chips from the Mona Lisa
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Michelangelo Buonarroti, Francisco Goya, Candido Portinari, and Vincent Van Gogh all painted with lead based paints,the EPA should be banning art work from those guys because of its known public health hazard.