Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anyone have the full article from behind the Detroit News paywall?

LeDuff: Detroit a top city? Only for crime
    Charlie LeDuff
    16 August

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    LeDuff: Detroit a top city? Only for crime
    Charlie LeDuff
    16 August
    You think someone is crazy enough to pay to read that hack LeDuff?

[[ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) maybe

A hot take at best. Not worth a subscription.
    Last edited by hybridy; August-17-22 at 06:36 PM.

I do, but it's really bad practice to post full articles behind a paywall. Reporters make a living based on subscriptions/clicks.

Spring for the one dollar cheapskate.

He takes a swipe at Time for not noticing the crime, complains that no one running for elected office is saying anything about it, Worthy tells him there's a three year backlog in the courts, he gives a couple of examples of the disfunction of the penal system and ends with the usual suburbanite warnings about stopping at red lights and getting gas at night.

I am strongly supportive of reporters being able to make a living.

I just wish that search engines would stop the bait and switch deception of showing results to which access is blocked. Or at least they should provide a way to opt out of those results.

Honestly, sometimes it's not worth even the cheapest subscription price.

Love him or hate him [Leduff]. He's great when pushing something you're behind or agree with I say.

Hah. I even have a sub for the NYTimes. I want to get the news-spin they provide before it's re-spun even further!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Spring for the one dollar cheapskate.

LeDuff's not far off in his criticism here, but from where I stand many people are concerned about crime within the city and without. Attending meeting and following my communities various social media groups crime is the #1 concern of my neighbors, and most are well aware of the systemic failures that are allowing more lawlessness than we have seen in decades.

I peruse Time magazine at my parents house, they've had a subscription for decades, but it's really descended into nothing more than a left wing rag these days unfortunately. Investigative and informative journalism replaced with woke BS and inane clickbait lists like the one we ended up on.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ...the usual suburbanite warnings about stopping at red lights and getting gas at night.
    Thanks. Last time I drove into Detroit was 15+ years ago. Mound Rd. to Holbrook to John R. to Comerica Park for a night game. There were zero police until the medical center and green zone around the commercial core where I was surprised to see people jogging, walking baby carriages or dogs, enjoying the simple blessings of liberty and civilization.

On the drive down Mound Rd., lights were universally ignored -- not only suburbanites, but seemingly all predators and prey got the memo about traffic signals.

Thanks. Last time I drove into Detroit was 15+ years ago. Mound Rd. to Holbrook to John R. to Comerica Park for a night game. There were zero police until the medical center and green zone around the commercial core where I was surprised to see people jogging, walking baby carriages or dogs, enjoying the simple blessings of liberty and civilization.

On the drive down Mound Rd., lights were universally ignored -- not only suburbanites, but seemingly all predators and prey got the memo about traffic signals.
    I'm in the city itself 3 + times a week, I would say that 98% of the drivers stop for traffic lights. Lots of people blow through yellows, but hardly anybody doesn't stop for a red light.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm in the city itself 3 + times a week, I would say that 98% of the drivers stop for traffic lights. Lots of people blow through yellows, but hardly anybody doesn't stop for a red light.
    I'd also add that most people who don't stop at red lights are doing so because they want to get somewhere quicker, not because they are afraid of being car jacked or anything. Not that I endorse either one.

And perhaps today, there's more police presence outside the green zone.

one word: archive.ph

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    LeDuff's not far off in his criticism here
    Exactly where do you live? As someone who lives in Detroit and spends time throughout the city, LeDuff's remarks are mostly outdated suburban stereotypes and misconceptions. Your typical, law-abiding Detroiter is very safe going around the city on a day to day basis.

If you haven't been to the City in more than 2 or 3 years, you are not remotely qualified to comment on the state of affairs in my city. I wonder how Long it's been since LeDuff actually crossed 8 mile.

Probably even higher than that. Unless you're talking about 3am or something...I've lived here for 5 years and I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen intentionally blow a red light.

There are certain intersections where blowing lights are more prevalent. Such as where there's an expressway entrance ramp. Day and night.

We live not far from one and now wait a few seconds at the green having witnessed many over the years drivers shoot thru the red. Had I proceeded thru without pausing I'd have been high-speed, t-boned. Many times.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-22-22 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Exactly where do you live? As someone who lives in Detroit and spends time throughout the city, LeDuff's remarks are mostly outdated suburban stereotypes and misconceptions. Your typical, law-abiding Detroiter is very safe going around the city on a day to day basis.
    I don't share exactly where I live, but I do live in Detroit, outside of the 7.2 as it's called.

It's outdated to say Detroit is a violent city when we are still in the top 3 most violent cities in 2022?

It's a misconception when Kym Worthy says the caseloads her staff is facing are “inhumane” and her office is in “crisis mode”?

Saying someone's "not far off" is not whole hearted agreement, but his conclusions are not hard for anyone to reach when you look at the facts, and even less so when you're an aware member of the community, as I am.

I promote the city more than anyone in my day to day, but I won't whitewash the facts or pretend that there is nothing to be concerned about when it comes to crime here.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ... the usual suburbanite warnings about stopping at red lights and getting gas at night.
    If you stop for gas in Detroit after dark you are risking your life. Stopping for gas even during daylight can be fatal. The warnings are not unwarranted and are in fact common sense safety tips.

Just two months ago this happened to a man INSIDE of a Detroit gas station who happened to be carrying an infant:

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/sus...tation-charged

So much for black lives mattering. Thankfully for some unknown reason the gun didn't discharge.

Even the Mobil gas station at Warren and Trumbull is dangerous and that is supposedly located in one of the "best" areas of Detroit.

It's outdated to say Detroit is a violent city when we are still in the top 3 most violent cities in 2022?
    There's a green zone surrounded by a permanent underclass, AKA a set of irresolvable social problems. I steer clear of them.

What is the '7.2'? Born and raised in the D but not familiar with that term...

I don't share exactly where I live, but I do live in Detroit, outside of the 7.2 as it's called.
    I agree. We've live in a pretty good area for some time now, but to not acknowledge the dangerous, edge ones is to live 'outside' of reality.

I promote the city more than anyone in my day to day, but I won't whitewash the facts or pretend that there is nothing to be concerned about when it comes to crime here.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-23-22 at 06:56 PM.

Yes. I'd say more like green zone[s] interlaced often with less desirable places/ neighborhoods. Sometimes that can an alleyway away. Sometimes the problems start and next major street or a few blocks or subdivision away.

There's a green zone surrounded by a permanent underclass, AKA a set of irresolvable social problems. I steer clear of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast