Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Intersection of Connor and Jefferson

Southbound Connor at Jefferson has a "No Turn on Red - 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m." sign.
    The light is more than 30 seconds long and the traffic on inbound Jefferson is usually cleared in 15 seconds. The sign is almost universally ignored. If you wait, you get honked and yelled at by the drivers behind you.
    IMHO, this is one instance where the sign really makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Southbound Connor at Jefferson has a "No Turn on Red - 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m." sign.
    The light is more than 30 seconds long and the traffic on inbound Jefferson is usually cleared in 15 seconds. The sign is almost universally ignored. If you wait, you get honked and yelled at by the drivers behind you.

Hang in there GPCharles, the Jefferson Avenue Re-Do is coming. I'm sure our government will keep throwing money at it until they get it right.

Just let the idiot behind you blow his horn. Don't blow back or engage in an argument with him or her. Proceed with the turn when it's time

^ I agree. Especially considering the Detroit 5th precinct is within blocks on Conner and Traffic Enforcement units ride up and down Conner frequently.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-17-22 at 09:17 AM.

First world problems.

Seems like a poor attempt to control rush hour congestion on Jefferson. Can you turn right on red between 4 and 6 PM coming from Bayview?

... If you wait, you get honked and yelled at by the drivers behind you....
    There are so many irritable people around lately that that could quickly become a dangerous situation.

In similar situations I've recommended that people don't signal their turn until the last minute but I see at that location you can only turn right from those lanes so that wouldn't help.

This is one of those situations where doing the correct thing could also become the most dangerous thing.

I'd like to hear what a police officer would recommend in this situation. Ray1936? Are you reading this thread?

Yeah, that 7AM-9AM restriction needs to be reexamined. Oh, and yes, the people honking are in the wrong but they may be armed too.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-17-22 at 09:41 AM.

I never argue with the honking or yelling drivers.

I just think the sign is not appropriate for that corner and should be re-considered.

I'd like to hear what a police officer would recommend in this situation. Ray1936? Are you reading this thread?

Indeed. No turn on red means just that. There's a few intersections here in Las Vegas that also have such a sign, and it seems to be ignored quite a bit as back in Motown.

It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ...No turn on red means just that....
    Well, there you have it.

Here lies a law-abiding motorist. LOL!
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-17-22 at 11:35 AM.

For what it's worth, traffic control signs are not just put up willy-nilly. There's almost always a study that goes into an intersection or artery that leads to proper conclusions and appropriate posting.

If a sign seems dumb, obey it anyway. I have a sign going into my back yard saying "No trespassing, guard dog on duty". I don't have a dog. But I don't have strangers in my back yard, either. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Indeed. No turn on red means just that. There's a few intersections here in Las Vegas that also have such a sign, and it seems to be ignored quite a bit as back in Motown.

It is what it is.
    Its like that where I am at also,stop signs are a suggestion and red light cameras are only placed in the hood.

It has gotten dramatically worse in the past couple of years,I actually got pulled over because I know that if I do not almost stop people will blast the stop signs,as the officer was schooling me,3 people ran the stop sign,did not even slow down.

Whats even worse now is unless there is an injury,here a hit and run is considered a civil matter,police will not even respond,so if somebody slams into you and hauls butt,you are on your own.

You just have to do you,if it says stop,I stop,not bothered about what anybody else thinks or blows the horn,you are the driver you are responsible for what happens.

My sign says - No trespassing,I have a gun and a backhoe,beware of dog does not work because they look at that as an opportunity to get bit and sue you.

But then again,one has to live in a state where a gun and backhoe is considered legal means of protecting your property,you just cannot legally bury your dog in your backyard.

Those no turn on red signs during certain hours are,to me anyways a waste because the average person only sees the No turn On Red part and it confuses most.

If you really want to mess with people,we can make a U turn anywhere it is not specifically posted.

Be in the far right lane of a 6 lane road and whip a U turn and go in the opposite direction.

I always found it best to drive 90% defensively or in a car fast enough to put distance between me and others.

They spend 3 million in order to do a traffic survey in order to put time limits on stop signs,but it takes 10 deaths before they figure out a traffic light is more suited.
    Last edited by Richard; August-18-22 at 06:30 PM.

Since someone mentioned it, I am going to thread jack here and say that I hope the Jefferson re-do involves taking down the trees in the middle of the sidewalk along that northside stretch of Jefferson between Conner and St. Jean. Worst landscaping decision ever. The trees are literally in the middle of the sidewalk and for any two people walking together, they have to split the trees in order to traverse the route. Also, it's not easy to traverse in a wheelchair or push a baby carriage.

My suggestion would be to put the trees on the inside of the fence of the Chrysler property [[quick solution) or move the fence back and widen the sidewalk to accommodate trees closer to the curb of the street [[more complex and expensive solution). Something needs to be done because the landscaping is an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Something needs to be done because the landscaping is an embarrassment.

I'm constantly being tree-shamed.

Many stop signs could easily be replaced by yield signs. It seems pretty unnecessary to come to a full stop in places where there is clearly no oncoming traffic. Stop signs on Vernor and Charlevoix are a good example where they cross almost uninhabited streets.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    Many stop signs could easily be replaced by yield signs. It seems pretty unnecessary to come to a full stop in places where there is clearly no oncoming traffic. Stop signs on Vernor and Charlevoix are a good example where they cross almost uninhabited streets.
    Are you a traffic engineer?

Traffic signals and signs always seem unnecessary until they're not.

HAH! Yes, there are US streets with seeming useless stop signs one can argue. But, I prefer that over what is going on some cities!

Or the joy of no lane lines. God help you as a pedestrian!

I think I spotted my old '88 Toyota Tercel hatchback amid the bedlam!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-04-22 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

HAH! Yes, there are US streets with seeming useless stop signs one can argue. But, I prefer that over what is going on some cities! God help you as a pedestrian!
    Thanks for that.

I would really like to know how self-driving cars would deal with that situation. I'm not suggesting they couldn't but that would be one impressive test.

^ Yep. There are already problems reported with the AI-based auto-brake-assists and lane-directive, etc. 'stuffs' now standard on some new cars.

Rather these functions are supposedly working, or not.

What's absent in those videos are the attendant pedestrian-run-overs, erupting hands-on-fights, beat-downs, and shoot-outs if we totally dispensed with means of controlling drivers here in the US!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-04-22 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Are you a traffic engineer?

Traffic signals and signs always seem unnecessary until they're not.
    I don't think this is even vaguely true. There are lots of traffic signals and signs that anyone can see are necessary.

The truth is that yield signs are underutilized because you can't trust people to yield appropriately. There are lots of places where there are stop signs where you could have yield signs if people understood when they should yield and actually did it. People may not obey stop signs, but at least they know they are supposed to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't think this is even vaguely true. There are lots of traffic signals and signs that anyone can see are necessary.

The truth is that yield signs are underutilized because you can't trust people to yield appropriately. There are lots of places where there are stop signs where you could have yield signs if people understood when they should yield and actually did it. People may not
    We're talking past each other.

I never argue with the honking or yelling drivers.

I just think the sign is not appropriate for that corner and should be re-considered.
    I agree. There is way too much signage generally and the sight lines on that intersection make it unnecessary anyway.