Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2022 Detroit Lions

It's kickoff time for the Honolulu Blue cats. Let's see what the season holds for the Detroit Lions. I hope they have some kind of a good luck charm to repeal the Bobby Layne Curse.

PRESEASON RESULTS:

Same Ole Lions:

FALCONS 27
    LIONS 23

Keep it up Lions, you're doing great.

30. Detroit Lions [[+20000)

The Lions should be better than 2021, but that isn't saying much.

Even though it's only a scrimmage; they still Lost, at home, in front of paying fans & the owner. Even with Jamaal Williams motivation technique of crying this week of being "sick & tired" w/losing. . . ...SOL's!

Both of those backup QB's need to go & start looking for Goff's replacement, immediately.

I'm going to say 7 wins for the LIONS. Vegas has them at 6.5, I wouldn't bet money on it, and that's a huge improvement over last seasons 3 wins. Defense is suspect until proved otherwise.

I do not understand why this team still doesn't have a quality backup QB. If Goff goes out its armageddon.

At this juncture, Dan Campbell appears to be the most celebrated 3-13 -1 coach in NFL history. Another season like that and he's not going to like the TV lights as much as he does now.

For those with HBO the Lions are the feature team for this season's "Hard Knocks" which goes inside the training camps, locker rooms, lives of the players and coaches, then follows the team weekly. The first week's segment was very entertaining.

https://www.hbo.com/hard-knocks-trai...-detroit-lions

Regarding the first pre-season game, the A-team offense looked great, rolled down the field for a TD and walked off the field for the day.

The B-teams with the two quarterbacks who are competing for backup to Goff was classic Lions. Both started off great then choked at critical moments. The first a costly interception, the last a fumble in a run-out-the-clock-and-win situation. If you're a Lions fan you can only smile knowingly.

That's fine pussy cats.

LIONS 27
    COLTS 26

They had tamed those wild horses! But they still a long way to go during the season. Close call!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    But they still a long way to go during the season. Close call!!
    I like their new identity as a running team with efficient O-line.
    It never happens that the premier RB is healthy to start every regular season game. But hopefully, the group of talented RBs will prove durable.

Didn't they go 4-0 in the pre-season the last time they went 0-16? They love to screw with their fans.

The thing I liked about the second game was that the Lions had no penalties until a late-in-the-game holding penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Didn't they go 4-0 in the pre-season the last time they went 0-16? They love to screw with their fans.
    Look how long ago that was. This is a totally different regime. Campbell is trying to change the culture, and I give him kudos for that. I think they will improve, gradually....

5 wins, but there's always next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Look how long ago that was. This is a totally different regime. Campbell is trying to change the culture, and I give him kudos for that. I think they will improve, gradually....
    The NFL is the sport where teams are supposed to be able to turn their fortunes around in a few years. The Lions have been at it for 64 years now if my arithmetic is correct. Count me in as skeptical on this latest version of the rebuild.

Same Ole Lions!!

STEELERS 19
    LIONS 9

All right Coach Cambell, it's time to cup and cap your team. 50 teams stay 30 will leave.

4th down on your own 26yard line and he goes for it. I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it at the junior high level. Exhibition isn't an excuse as he did it in the regular season too. As usual, the O-line is highly over-rated.

Both back-up quarterbacks proved last year that neither could take care of the football. Bringing them both back is idiocy. Ask yourself this....if the Lions cut them both, where would they go?

Hutchinson looks like the real deal. That's good, because your next two picks probably won't be dressed until the snow flies.

Defensive tackles & linebackers are cast-offs except for an unproven 6th round pick. Good luck with that.

4-5 'gritty' wins at best.

Just read SI's NFL preview and they are bullish on the Lions. They have them finishing with a 9-8 record, with a 2nd place finish in the division behind GB, and claiming a Wild Card spot in the playoffs, losing to the 49ers. Pretty ambitious don't you think?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-29-22 at 07:39 AM.

It will be fun watching the recriminations on HBO's Hard Knocks this week. Coach had steam coming out ears whenever the offense was on the field.

As for the back up QB race? They both lose. No wonder they are protecting Goff by not letting him play if they are all there is to replace him if he goes down. Lions brass need to shop someone else.

Defense and special teams looked great. Hutchinson too in the little time they let him play.

Just read SI's NFL preview and they are bullish on the Lions. They have them finishing with a 9-8 record, with a 2nd place finish in the division behind GB, and claiming a Wild Card spot in the playoffs, losing to the 49ers. Pretty ambitious don't you think?
    9 wins is a pretty good uptick from last year's 3 wins. I'm not feeling that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    9 wins is a pretty good uptick from last year's 3 wins. I'm not feeling that at all.
    Me neither, unless Sports Illustrated knows something we don't.

Both backup QBs got cut, leaving Jared Goff the only QB on the roster at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Both backup QBs got cut, leaving Jared Goff the only QB on the roster at the moment.
    They'll sign someone better off waivers. David Blough is still listed as a backup. Kinda surprised Funchess was cut. I thought he had a shot of making the team.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-30-22 at 09:12 AM.

David Blough is still listed as a backup.
    You're right. My early morning brain confused the two and thought they both got cut. Blough is a Lion... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    You're right. My early morning brain confused the two and thought they both got cut. Blough is a Lion... for now.
    No. you were right, lol. A day later the axe has fell on David Blough. He was cut this morning. Lions will be in the market for a backup and they'll have plenty of choices.

No. you were right, lol. A day later the axe has fell on David Blough. He was cut this morning. Lions will be in the market for a backup and they'll have plenty of choices.
    And the winner is...Nate Sudfeld!! Underwhelming that's for sure. I wish Brad Holmes would have addressed this during the free agency period. Backup QB has been a disaster for the Lions for many years now. Will see how it plays out I guess. Keeping my fingers crossed for Jared Goff of all things. Lol.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast