Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Tigers will be looking for a new GM- Al Avila Fired

Avila has been let go; finally. Too bad it wasn't before Verlander was.

About time.

After investing an additional $240million to watch the Tigers again slide into in last place [[43-69), along with ranking dead last [[30th) in runs per game [[3.2), very doubtful Ilitch has the intelligence to now select a winning GM to fix this convoluted team/contract mess?

BTW: Can anyone name a "star" Avila mentored, traded for, or drafted during his 7-year tenure as the GM? Didn't think so. . . ...

Long time coming. Tigers had a winning record once in his 7 years at the helm, and still never made the playoffs. He didn't get anything substantial in return with weak trades of Verlander, Castellanos, Martinez, Kinsler and Green. He should have traded Fulmer when his value was the highest two or three years ago, and he didn't flip Soto this year when teams were calling. The signing of Rodriguez and Baez to huge contracts hasn't panned out, Baez has been horrible and Rodriguez hasn't played because of marital issues. A dumpster fire is putting it kindly. The best move he made was hiring Hinch as manager.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-11-22 at 08:58 AM.

For the last couple of years, I've been talking up the coming renaissance for our Detroit pro sports teams. I still do, but now I only mention three teams instead of four.

This team is in rough shape. Avila was just in over his head from the get-go.

Theo Epstein is the guy everyone wants, but does he really want to do this for a third time? I think they should target someone in the Tampa Bay organization. They don't break the bank, yet always get a lot of bang for their buck.