Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Countywide transit millage moves closer to reality in Oakland County

It's about time Oakland County puts a vote like this to the voters to end the opt-out that several communities in the county use. Hopefully it passes and maybe next year Wayne County can do the same thing.

Countywide transit millage moves closer to reality in Oakland County

County commissioners are scheduled to decide at their Wednesday board meeting on whether to put a 10-year countywide transit millage on the Nov. 8 ballot. If the board moves the measure forward as expected, voters would choose whether or not to end a patchwork approach to public transportation in metro Detroit’s second most populous county.
    It would mark a dramatic shift in the conversation that swirled around metro Detroit transit earlier this year when the Auburn Hills city council voted to pull that community out of the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation system, an effort later thwarted by a circuit court judge but which was seen as symbolic of the region's transit woes.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...e/10282087002/

This vote will make SMART and possibly D-DOT buses to expand public transit routes and end city votes their right to opt out of public transit.

GOOD IDEAL! Macomb County already did that years ago.
    Last edited by Danny; August-10-22 at 08:38 PM.

Friendly reminder that the only reason we didn't get an RTA vote last election was because the child rapist and groomer former speaker of the house Lee Ratface killed it.

This will be awesome! As an Oakland County voter this gets a HUGE yes from me. I live in Rochester Hills which currently has no bussing.

Southeast Michigan is long overdue for some type of regional transit as well as local transit for Oakland County. The higher gas prices and the wear and tear on vehicles caused by potholes and bad roads make Michigan a very expensive state to live in for it's citizens

good to see this finally hitting the ballots. i'll be doing what i can get to get the vote out, and i encourage yall to talk to your friends and relatives in the area. my ultimate dream is increased rail expansion in the region so getting the four major counties connected on a complete transit network is an important first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

GOOD IDEAL! Macomb County already did that years ago.
    Except now Macomb County is making a stink about this, and there's serious discussion about reverting make to an opt-in/out system. I wouldn't be surprised if MC votes NOT to extend the countwide millage this fall.

But then again, MC is ground zero for all sorts of white power, low density, suburban development policy that has plagued this region for 70 years. We can have good regional transit without them.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Except now Macomb County is making a stink about this, and there's serious discussion about reverting make to an opt-in/out system. I wouldn't be surprised if MC votes NOT to extend the countwide millage this fall.

But then again, MC is ground zero for all sorts of white power, low density, suburban development policy that has plagued this region for 70 years. We can have good regional transit without them.
    “White Power” Do you usually say stupid racist shit or is this a rare occurrence?