Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Majorel Luxembourg comes to downtown Detroit

Majorel Luxembourg is a large tech firm from Luxembourg with 75,000 employees and offices in 41 countries. They provide technical solutions for large firms and may be responsible for screening what appears on Facebook and other “public” websites. Someone may know what more about what service they provide to their customers.

They now have 35,000 square feet of rented space at 210 West Fort. I think this is their first office in the US. Employment appears to be growing within Detroit. Is this decision by Majorel another example of the attraction that downtown Detroit has to the new high-tech firms and to financial services firms that have recently located in downtown Detroit?

Great to hear it. Probably a variety of factors. Cost of living for employees, perhaps incentives, a good partnership with DESC..

https://www.degc.org/majorel-to-brin...-this-weekend/

It would be interesting to know how actively Gilbert is working to attract these tech companies to Detroit and if he did so in this case or they just looked at the demographics, etc. They chose a Gilbert owned building but then most of them are.

Good move. More companies might come to downtown Detroit especially international ones being that we are across the river from Canada

Great news. More and more and more automotive needs more tech and software.

From Motown to Tech Town, Detroit's regional base needs an international regional base.

Yes, YES. And more locally sourced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Great news. More and more and more automotive needs more tech and software.

I can't find much information specifically about this but I'll just say that Luxembourg City has one badass flag.
    Name:  LuxembourgCity.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  6.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    From Motown to Tech Town, Detroit's regional base needs an international regional base.
    Sadly Detroit planners do not think internationally

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I can't find much information specifically about this but I'll just say that Luxembourg City has one badass flag.
    Name:  LuxembourgCity.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  6.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It would be interesting to know how actively Gilbert is working to attract these tech companies to Detroit and if he did so in this case or they just looked at the demographics, etc. They chose a Gilbert owned building but then most of them are.
    211 West Fort is not Gilbert owned, this has nothing to do with him...

Keep in mind that there are no middle class jobs here.

This is all tech support, and as a former tech support guy [[for a "tech company") I am very happy to have moved on from that role. The pay was roughly the same as a McDonalds manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    211 West Fort is not Gilbert owned, this has nothing to do with him...
    You're right. I was mistaken. Doesn't mean he wasn't involved in trying to attract them, as he has said his company is marketing the city to attract as much tech-related business as possible. I was just wondering if this was an example of his efforts paying off.

It's a common mistake in America to think the middle class is much wealthier than they are and the upper class is much wealthier than they are. Meadian household income is 67K, so a family of four on 67K a year is middle class.

Most of these jobs may not be at 67K a year but they appear to be at 45K a year so in a dual income family, certainly in middle class range.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    Keep in mind that there are no middle class jobs here.

This is all tech support, and as a former tech support guy [[for a "tech company") I am very happy to have moved on from that role. The pay was roughly the same as a McDonalds manager.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    It's a common mistake in America to think the middle class is much wealthier than they are and the upper class is much wealthier than they are. Meadian household income is 67K, so a family of four on 67K a year is middle class.

Most of these jobs may not be at 67K a year but they appear to be at 45K a year so in a dual income family, certainly in middle class range.
    I guess you're technically right, and that makes for a pathetic state of wages in this country. "Middle class" family of 4 should be making close to 100k total in this area.