Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who remembers Charles Harte of Paperbacks Unlimited?

He was a person with whom I enjoyed conversing, and whose sincerely friendly demeanor was well-suited to the proprietor of a bookstore.

I don't know anything about Mr. Harte, but well remember their store on Woodward in Highland Park -- one of my parents' Sunday rituals was, after church at St. Ben's, to "go down and get the papers", which would result in a 2-1/2" thick New York Times, a 2" thick Chicago Tribune, and various and sundry other publications that they would spend the rest of the day, and well into the next week, reading, my mother attacking the crosswords and Double Crostic with a vengeance. I'd sometimes go along and browse the National Enquirer and other such tabloids.

Quote Originally Posted by 5939DT View Post
    I don't know anything about Mr. Harte, but well remember their store on Woodward in Highland Park -- one of my parents' Sunday rituals was, after church at St. Ben's, to "go down and get the papers", which would result in a 2-1/2" thick New York Times, a 2" thick Chicago Tribune, and various and sundry other publications that they would spend the rest of the day, and well into the next week, reading, my mother attacking the crosswords and Double Crostic with a vengeance. I'd sometimes go along and browse the National Enquirer and other such tabloids.

The National Enquirer was pretty thick too, wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by 5939DT View Post
    ... I'd sometimes go along and browse the National Enquirer and other such tabloids.
    Enquiring minds want to know

The Weekly World News - now that was a newspaper!

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    The Weekly World News - now that was a newspaper!

I wonder how the woman who gave birth to the alien child born with two heads is doing?

Shopped at the Ferndale location often, but only time I actually had a conversation with Charles Harte was on a street in Dublin when we came across each other by surprise.