Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle Beach - Swimmers Itch

I was over there yesterday afternoon, the weather was great, water was clear and cold, a real bucolic day. Everything was great then I got home and discovered a rash and bumps on my left thigh. Couldn't believe it, never happened before. I took a Benadryl and took a shower and 5 or 6 hours later it was basically gone. Today it's completely gone. Anybody else ever get that?

This can be often be caused by a high population of geese nearby, with their droppings polluting the water. Go to the DNR webpage and find their feedback form. In some state parks, they've taken measures to relocate geese which has helped this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    ... rash and bumps....
    I think algae can cause that — probably a lot of other things too.

Good thing it subsided.

Many years ago, at a lake in a state park outside of Michigan, I got a bad case of swimmers itch on my back and sides. For a few days, I didn’t know what it was, and was pretty scary. Then I found out what it was, and for a few more days it was really annoying.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/swimmersitch/faqs.html

yep i got it at metro beach last summer and thought it was some type of plant oil for a week before figuring it out. swimmer's itch is the worst rash i've had yet

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    This can be often be caused by a high population of geese nearby, with their droppings polluting the water. Go to the DNR webpage and find their feedback form. In some state parks, they've taken measures to relocate geese which has helped this problem.

Those Canadian Geese have taken over SE Michigan. I really don't know if relocating them is the answer, because they reproduce at high rates, they will probably return. You always see them in groups with anywhere from 8-10 goslings behind them in tow. Being protected by the government adds to the dilemma.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-02-22 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by easycomeeasygo View Post
    yep i got it at metro beach last summer and thought it was some type of plant oil for a week before figuring it out. swimmer's itch is the worst rash i've had yet

Have you ever tried poison ivy?

Open sores, extreme itch, not much relief, and if you touch other parts of your body before the itch starts, it affects those areas. And it lasts up to two weeks, at least it did with me. Awful.

I had my first-ever encounter with swimmer's itch last month on Little Glen Lake. It was terrible, and over-the-counter itch medications [[After-Bite, Hydrocortisone, etc) provided zero relief. Luckily a friend had a tube of prescription-grade steroid cream that dulled the itch enough to for me to sleep at night. I didn't go near the lake again for the entire vacation.

I'm not a 'real' water swimmer [prefer square-walled, chlorinated pools with lifeguards] but enjoying the summers end I spend alot of time at Belle Isle and noted the beach there was very crowded. And expanded from what I recall. So itch-risk aside many are engaging the waters!

It would help to have some outdoor showers at the Belle Isle beach, rinsing off after getting out can prevent swimmers itch. But then again the whole bathhouse there needs to be rebuilt, sooooo...

Yep. Facts for sure.