Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default GM announces the $300K hand-built Celestiq

How many do you oligarchs want? Will this get Cadillac back to the exclusivity it once enjoyed then blew by making their cars look like Chevys?

Name:  celestiq.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  54.3 KB

Some snips...

Cadillac has created the extraordinary Celestiq, a show car GM Design unveiled on Instagram Friday morning.

Built by hand and tailored like an exquisite suit, the electric Celestiq will be more like a Rolls-Royce than anything Cadillac's sold since 1957, when the brand really was considered “the standard of the world” that its motto declared it to be.

Cadillac hopes to return to that status with the family of electric vehicles it's launching now...

Ordering a Celestiq will be like having an architect design your home. The owner will specify every fitting and material. As with Rolls-Royce, no two Celestiqs will be alike.

I never knew this tidbit...

The last car Cadillac built this way was the 1957 Eldorado Brougham. Just 400 were built, and prices started at $13,074 - at a time when a hand-built Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith cost about $9,000.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...325983_1348557

I remember as a kid in the early 60s we all piled into our Chevy station wagon to make that trek from the burbs to the big city wherevmy father worked.

At a traffic light we pulled up next to a brand new Cadillac,I thought to myself,one day I am going to own one of those because they were a statement of ,you made it in life.

The Rolls Royce’s,Mercedes etc of the day were the benchmark of movie stars and only the elite could aspire to own one.

Now I live in the hood and there are more Mercedes,BMWs then Toyota's or Fords.

They all killed their own brands when they became mainstream,then to make it worse they created models that were just cheap knockoff junk which created more negative results.

Remember the Cadillac Cimmerian ,which was a Chevy rebadged with Cadillac appointment’s but $5000 more ?

They all killed their brands and became just another lost in the crowd,how many will ever even dream of owning this vehicle and will it really re-establish or capture that standard of the world?

95% of the public will probably never even see one of these.

I kinda think that in order to stand out they need to throw away the computers and get back to actually designing sexy cars again.

My Jaguar XJ6 gets compliments every time I drive it,it is 25 years old and a daily driver,my 2020 F250,nobody says,nice truck because it is lost on the crowd.

It’s even hard to tell the difference between a Range Rover and a Ford Explorer ,you can look at a corvette and say,yea that’s a corvette but no so much with 90% of the other vehicles on the road.

It’s like they are just having a computer spit out car designs simply to just produce cars,there is really no identity left.

I would be interested in how a 30 something defines what a Cadillac is or what they feel it represents.

Granted the last one I had was a 1992 eldorado but I was way more impressed with the look and style of the 1985 Eldorado that I had.

A large part of their market in the past was retired folk treating themselves to their last car, which was a comfortable well appointed ride,now it is an indistinguishable iPhone on wheels that nobody is going to take the time to figure out what 1/2 the gadgets do,that’s what they have done was trade practical styling for gadgets to impress.

If I was looking at Cadillac now,I would find a wrecked Tesla at the salvage auction and put that running gear into an early 80s Fleetwood and have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Richard; July-23-22 at 03:43 PM.