Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tiger Stadium elevator tower down

It came down today. Not sure how or when. Anyone know how they brought it down or about what time? It was down by 1 p.m.

george jackson quothe, "oh ye ancient and worthless tower of scrap, i commandeth thee to tremble, break and cower before me and mine minions. you have lasted too long upon this earth and shall not sully my salted earth intentions for yet another day. fall, fall i say!!! for my will is the way! and under my thumb you will stay!"

She's loooong gone...

Pictures taken on Labor Day 2009.

It happened either Sat. night or Sun morning, I noticed it missing about 12pm Sunday coming home from honey bee.

Looks like they just pulled it inward, from behind home plate. The top of what was left of the roof/upper deck behind home is gone, too.

I just can't wait to see the amazing development that goes in there soon!

There obviously isn't even a need for a parking lot so what will the site look like? Will they remove the demo fence and just leave the lot as is?

OTSC has plans to use their donations to turn it into a community ballpark with some bleachers. Nothing even close to the original plans, before they were hijacked and crushed by G. Jackson et. al., but it's something.

I don't expect any announcements of anything going up there from George Jackson. He has moved on to the next cause that will pay for the next year of lunches at the Rattlesnake Club.

My house shook 2 blocks away around 11:30 or 12 saturday night and it freaked me out... Had no clue why... Felt like an earthquake... I then drove by today and put 2 and 2 together....

Why do they do it at that hideous time of night?

Granted I guess there's never a real good time to be next to a demolition site but at 11:30- midnight? C'mon.

Maybe it just fell down on its own. It looked very precarious. That might explain the bump in the night.

They probably did it at night in case it fell across Michigan Ave. That's why they had to get a permit from the state to bring it down;Michigan Ave is a state highway.

A reporter friend i know who workes for a regional development newsletter said that 2 major retailors are looking at the site. Nothing in stone, but the interest has Corktowners up in arms.

When I drove by at 2pm on saturday it was down. I saw a guy with a camera filming from the bed of his pickup truck. Hopefully he got it and it shows up on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    A reporter friend i know who workes for a regional development newsletter said that 2 major retailors are looking at the site. Nothing in stone, but the interest has Corktowners up in arms.
    Family Dollar and Dollar General?

Holy cow, it would be awesome if Wal-Mart was one of them!

I'm kidding. A disaster, but a darn convenient one...

Added two photos of the tower-less Corner at buildingsofdetroit.com.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Holy cow, it would be awesome if Wal-Mart was one of them!

I'm kidding. A disaster, but a darn convenient one...
    With Meijer finally in the game, I wouldn't hardly be surprised if Wal-Mart was looking for land in Detroit to build a store. Certainly they're not going to let Meijer steal their spotlight.Jefferson & St Jean would be the perfect location [[vacant land on the eastside of St. Jean).

Stopped by around 11am this morning [[Saturday, Sept 19) and saw more action at the corner than I've seen in a long time! About a half dozen photographers and videographers shooting what could be the last hours of Tiger Stadium. The bulldozers and other machinery were moving steadily...one bystander who says he has been watching the demolition progress this week told me he thought that all would be demolished by the end of today. If not, it is only a matter of a day or two. RIP Tiger Stadium!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Stopped by around 11am this morning [[Saturday, Sept 19) and saw more action at the corner than I've seen in a long time! About a half dozen photographers and videographers shooting what could be the last hours of Tiger Stadium. The bulldozers and other machinery were moving steadily...one bystander who says he has been watching the demolition progress this week told me he thought that all would be demolished by the end of today. If not, it is only a matter of a day or two. RIP Tiger Stadium!!
    Argh! And I'm stuck at work! I noticed yesterday that they had taken a really big chunk out of it along the first base side.

Holy crap! Just got back. Snapped some photos. Will upload them in the next hour or two to Tiger Stadium's demo gallery on BuildingsofDetroit.com. Wow. Unbelievable how much they've razed today. They're REALLY hauling ass.

Here's one photo from about 5 p.m.: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/...4e9d01af_b.jpg

More uploading soon at BuildingsofDetroit.com.

Burly demo crew guy confirms: They're bringing down the rest of Tiger Stadium tonight.

Yep, it's pretty much down. We stopped by about 8:30 this morning to check it out. What's left to actually tear down is not anything really recognizable. And that will be demolished on Monday.

While we were there, one guy told us that last evening was a "free for all" with people grabbing souvenir bricks and whatever. And he was told that you could take whatever you can get "as long as you don't go on the property".

There were no security guards in sight this morning. A few guys were pulling small chunks of the light blue faced bricks through the fence. We ourselves grabbed some chunks with the original green and original white paint as well as a small light blue brick.