Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1970 The New Panorama, “Your pictorial guide to Detroit interesting entertainment”

I don’t remember the Panorama magazine, but I turned 21 in 1970 and spent time in about half the places shown. I got this from a guy on Facebook who scanned his copy. The women back then were pretty rough looking, out-of-shape, overweight, teeth missing, just like it shows in the photos. Bensons Boobs Galore was the local club for me. It brings back old memories and almost all are bad. April 16, 1970, 36 pages. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_T...6YW0qc_13KIIEA

Name:  pan [[2).jpg
Views: 787
Size:  156.6 KB
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; July-20-22 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks for sharing. It's always fun to revisit a time when what's now old was thought cutting-edge. No computers were harmed to produce that document. LOL!

On this day in 1969 Apollo 11 landed on the moon. That explains the line at the top: "April 16 1970 YEAR 1 OF THE SPACE AGE"

There was newspaper as of burlesque entertainment held at strip clubs, lounges and even bowling alleys. But most Metro-Detroit religious organizations and concern moms and pops protest against these obscene images for younger viewers want to get a glimpse of those' go go girls and bongos bongos!'
    Last edited by Danny; July-20-22 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    ...The women back then were pretty rough looking, out-of-shape, overweight, teeth missing, just like it shows in the photos.
    Yeah, Vassar or Radcliffe types those girls were not -- not even Wayne County Community College types. some real working-class femme fatales. I'm glad I stayed away from those places.

Still, I managed to rack-up a raft of bad memories in the first year of the space age.

I browsed, I swear on my mother’s grave I only read the type.

I only read it for the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I only read it for the articles.

Yes, did you notice though, with one eye shut, it got progressively more risqué near the end…

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    ... I swear on my mother’s grave...
    I only read opinion pieces by Detroit's public intellectuals and their 'work want ads'.

Filth, absolutely filth. I had to review it several times lest I jumped to a conclusion.

The male teachers in Almont, where my husband taught, used to drive down to those places on snow days to have a good laugh, or so he tells me

Just curious. Does anybody know if Kozaren's had any relationship with the 1980's Hamtramck Mayor Bob Koszaren?

I read it while convalescing and medically rehabilitating from a near-death 'Freaky Deaky' ambush. With my disco skills I may as well have had a target painted on my back.

Deadline Detroit | A Slice of Local History: Detroit's 'Freaky Deaky' Disco Dance in the 70s Led To Jealous-Lover Killings

Free Press Flashback: Freaky Deaky dance sparked passion and gunplay

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just curious. Does anybody know if Kozaren's had any relationship with the 1980's Hamtramck Mayor Bob Koszaren?
    Affirmative.
    Walking tall: Putting Robert Kozaren in perspective. A two-part series | Hamtramck Review [[thehamtramckreview.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I read it while convalescing and medically rehabilitating from a near-death 'Freaky Deaky' ambush. With my disco skills I may as well have had a target painted on my back.

Deadline Detroit | A Slice of Local History: Detroit's 'Freaky Deaky' Disco Dance in the 70s Led To Jealous-Lover Killings

Free Press Flashback: Freaky Deaky dance sparked passion and gunplay

If it looks like a sex act, it is a sex act!

quote from the article:

“The Detroit version is as close to a simulated sex act as I’ve seen anywhere in the country."

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If it looks like a sex act, it is a sex act!
    Or what we used to call 'The Horizontal Polka' -- although 'The Vertical Polka' is decidedly contraceptive.

I remember seeing something about a woman saying she got pregnant doing the 1970's 'freaky deaky' disco dance

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I remember seeing something about a woman saying she got pregnant doing the 1970's 'freaky deaky' disco dance
    Guilty as charged. She was the baby mama of Little Henry Whalley Jr.

Thanks for posting this fascinating and very Detroit artifact. What a blast from a past that I didn't quite have. I was a little young for this type of thing in '70, as I was just getting out of Nichols Elementary. But many of these places, and perhaps some of the featured "dancers", were still around when I hit that once-magic 18 a few years later. I love the pictures of the bar patrons, in their cutting edge 1970 Sears finery, with so many of them looking like they're having as much fun as they would at the dentist's office.

I sure remember the Freak Deaky though, which swept the east side about the time I hit the magic age. Over here we used to do it [[or try to do it) with a badass Errol Flynn handstroke attached. I was out on Belle Isle hanging with some friends on that fateful night and still remember the island suddenly full of lit up DPD cars as we were getting the hell out of there.