Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The 1971 All Star game at Tiger Stadium remembered

The infamous 1971 All-Star game this week 51 years ago, who was there to tell the tale? Reggie’s shot heard around the world, was it the longest ever? It’s still talked about even after all these years.

“He wasn’t Mr. October yet when he drove that Ellis pitch on an arc that mesmerized fans and peers. But that moment took him from Oakland lightning rod to national fame. He was never just a guy again. “I think it would’ve gone 600 feet,” said Washington Senators slugger Frank Howard” By Jamie Turner, Cleveland.com

https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...tar-game.shtml

Name:  reggie [[2).jpg
Views: 400
Size:  198.6 KB
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; July-10-22 at 02:14 PM.

Wasn't there but I definitely watched. I still have my Sporting News with Tiger Stadium on the cover and the caption "Star game setting genuine old-time ballpark." Most impressive was the number of all-time greats in that game, including 26 future hall of famers. Also, contrary to today, each team only used 3 pitchers.

Default 1971 All Star game

My brother & I were at that 1971 All Star game standing behind home plate in the lower deck because our actual seats were in the rear of the left field outfield area behind a post. Many future Hall of Famers played in that game and it was a chance to see Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Rose, Bench, etc. that normally didn't play in Detroit since they were in the National League. Their manager was Sparky Anderson of the Cincinnati Reds. It was an entertaining game won by the American League with the help of Jackson's home run hit into the light tower!

I was there. With my dad, 4 rows behind the fence in the lower deck in left field.

I still have the pennant from that game, showing the names of all of the players, hanging in my home office. I believe there are 22 Hall of Famers among those names, plus HOF managers Earl Weaver and Sparky Anderson. That game featured a then-record 6 home runs, all by Hall of Famers. In addition to Reggie's titanic blast, there were also homers for the AL by Frank Robinson and Harmon Killebrew, and NL homers by Johnny Bench, Hank Aaron, and Roberto Clemente. The AL won, ending a long NL winning streak.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-11-22 at 01:06 AM.

I was there, a couple of rows back in the upper deck right field corner. It was a real treat to see players like Clemente, Mays, Rose and other NLers we didn't usually get to see in Detroit. We saw Jackson's HR go over the roof and heard the clunk when it hit the light tower.