Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit from the Top Down

A week ago I was interviewed for the French-German Channel Arte whose director Jérôme Momcilovic was in town doing four segments on Detroit. In my case it was about the rocky history of the Renaissance Center and the Hiland Restaurant at the top of the RenCen was the interview site.

It was a nice return to a place I used to frequent when I had an apartment in Renaissance City Apartments [fka the Millender Center] and offered me the opportunity to once more see our great and beautiful international metropolis from the top down. Enjoy.

Foie Gras anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A week ago I was interviewed for the French-German Channel Arte whose director Jérôme Momcilovic was in town doing four segments on Detroit. In my case it was about the rocky history of the Renaissance Center and the Hiland Restaurant at the top of the RenCen was the interview site.

It was a nice return to a place I used to frequent when I had an apartment in Renaissance City Apartments [fka the Millender Center] and offered me the opportunity to once more see our great international metropolis from the top down. Enjoy.

Thanks for the memories. Back in the late 70s, a friend and I would call each other, when severe storm warnings were issued, and drive to meet at the revolving restaurant for drinks. If we lucked out, we'd be engulfed in lightning and heavy rain. Scary but spectacular stuff.

Escaped me at first but, wow, I just noticed that the Geordie Howe is now a quite prominent part of the landscape.

Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

Cool perspective of the city in the bigger picture,I was wondering what the cranes were.

The menu prices are similar to our local McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanks for the memories. Back in the late 70s, a friend and I would call each other, when severe storm warnings were issued, and drive to meet at the revolving restaurant for drinks. If we lucked out, we'd be engulfed in lightning and heavy rain. Scary but spectacular stuff.
    I still have a few souvenir glasses from The Summit rest. with "World's Tallest Hotel" printed on them.