Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The 2022-2023 Detroit Pistons

The Pistons kicked off their season last night with a summer league win against the Portland Trailblazers. Although I don't think the are ready to make a push into the playoffs yet, it's hard not to be optimistic about the direction of this team. Ivey and Duren both looked solid last night, but plenty of sloppiness to clean up before the regular season.

There is talent, which they have tons of with all the recent high draft picks, then there is proven and durable talent, which they have almost none of. The Tigers in a similar situation looked so promising but have fallen flat so far. Let's hope the Pistons young talent blossoms quickly.

They should be a lot more fun to watch this year but it's clearly a year to let the kids play and gain experience. They will probably end up in the lottery again. I like Bagley and he's going to get a ton of dunks from the guards but I also thought it was a bit of an overpay for a guy who doesn't play much defense. Weaver sure likes to wheel and deal, as opposed to Avila, who seems afraid to make any big trades. He's definitely setting things up for tons of cap space next year to sign a free agent. The class is better than this year and the team wasn't ready yet anyway.

One more season of acceptable suffering, then I'd expect the Pistons to use their cap space and make a big splash next offseason.

It's just summer league, but it was sure fun to watch

I’m hoping they can get out of the gate strong this year. 1st half of last season was a total disaster. 2nd half wasn’t much better, but at least they became watchable - sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I’m hoping they can get out of the gate strong this year. 1st half of last season was a total disaster. 2nd half wasn’t much better, but at least they became watchable - sort of.
    Playing together in summer league should help some of the young guys but there will definitely be growing pains. Supposedly Livers is shooting and playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Playing together in summer league should help some of the young guys but there will definitely be growing pains. Supposedly Livers is shooting and playing well.

Livers has definitely earned a spot in the rotation. His offense is solid, good shooting, but his defense is what surprised me. Pretty solid shot blocker.

^^ Braxton Key should make the team as well. He played well for them last year as a mid to late season pickup. Duren and Beef Stew are a young athletic front court that can step out on switches on the perimeter and recover to guard their man. Duren is bouncy and has a NBA body at just 18 years old. Stewart has really improved his 3 pt shot as well. I'm still trying to figure out where Killian Hayes fits in. His shooting isn't there and he looks very tentative out there. Otherwise, I like the direction they're taking rebuilding this team.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-11-22 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ Braxton Key should make the team as well. He played well for them last year as a mid to late season pickup. Duren and Beef Stew are a young athletic front court that can step out on switches on the perimeter and recover to guard their man. Duren is bouncy and has a NBA body at just 18 years old. Stewart has really improved his 3 pt shot as well. I'm still trying to figure out where Killian Hayes fits in. His shooting isn't there and he looks very tentative out there. Otherwise, I like the direction they're taking rebuilding this team.
    You would like your 3rd guard to come in and provide an offensive spark, which isn't Hayes' strength. With all the other guards on the roster competing for time he has maybe half a season to make it or be shipped out.

You would like your 3rd guard to come in and provide an offensive spark, which isn't Hayes' strength. With all the other guards on the roster competing for time he has maybe half a season to make it or be shipped out.
    I think KH made some inroads last season. His passing is impressive, he plays decent enough defense, but it's the same old story - he just doesn't have an outside shot.

I agree. It's make it or break it this season for Hayes.

Vegas has the Pistons at 27 or 27.5 wins. That’s not very good. I don’t know what year of the current rebuild we’re in but it’s been lengthy. Hopefully, in they’ll be interesting to watch in some respects.

Vegas has the Pistons at 27 or 27.5 wins. That’s not very good. I don’t know what year of the current rebuild we’re in but it’s been lengthy. Hopefully, in they’ll be interesting to watch in some respects.

Seems kinda low to me as well. Maybe they can surprise and fight for a play-in spot. With about 12 million of cap space left, Weaver might make another move before the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Seems kinda low to me as well. Maybe they can surprise and fight for a play-in spot. With about 12 million of cap space left, Weaver might make another move before the season starts.
    Pistons may want Duren to play half a season in the G league where he can develop his game and log minutes. He's still getting stronger and 18 is very young for a big man in the NBA. They lost Grant also. The East overall seems to be getting a little stronger each year. Those are a couple of factors on the negative side but I would agree that I see them with about 5-6 more wins than 27.
    Last edited by 401don; July-23-22 at 01:26 PM.

I don't think the Pistons will be good. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised but they are super young and don't have a ton of shooting.

I don’t bet on sports but taking that over on the 27.5 wins seems like a no brainer.

^That's what I said about the 25.5 o/u last year!

The Pistons are terrible, without C.C. they are really terrible. They're losing to the bottom feeders of the league again this year. They are sort of interesting to watch, but after a while you have to wonder why.

At this rate, you have to wonder if they're going to reach 25 wins this year. I'm disappointed, I was hoping for something better.

Not trying to be Mr. Negative and belabor the point but this team is an embarrassment. What the hell is going on? I think they gave up tonight - these guys are stealing Mr. Gores money - but I don't think he cares much either.

Well, not to make excuses, because they do look awful, but all of this certainly doesn't help.

Star player injured.
    At least one to two other starters have been missing time.
    Multiple injuries on the bench.
    Have played the second toughest schedule so far in the league.
    Played the most games so far in the league.
    Played the most road games so far in the league.
    Played the most back-to-back games in the league.
    Last night was their eighth game in thirteenth nights.

Bottom line, the NBA gave them an absolutely brutal schedule to start the year, plus they have lots of young guys, and have been pounded by injuries. I don't think they would have been anywhere near a .500 team even fully healthy or with a less intense schedule, but these guys are running on fumes right now. Hard not to feel bad for them. Also hard to see them ever turning the corner, but hopefully they do eventually.

They can't shoot and that's obviously a big problem but last night they shoot lights out for most of the 1st half and are still losing because there is no defense whatsoever. A guy gets beat and there is no help. They just clear the lane. I get that you can't play defense like the old days but other teams still contest shots. They don't even go out to contest 3's. Without Cunningham and Ivey on the floor they're incredibly slow. They need to just move Bey for a 2nd round pick - something I wouldn't have thought of doing a year or two ago.

They need to just move Bey for a 2nd round pick - something I wouldn't have thought of doing a year or two ago.
    I don't agree with that. Bey has way more value than a second rounder, but the problem is that he should be coming off the bench.

Assuming Bogdonovich gets traded at some point, they have 50% of a serviceable rotation. Cade, Ivey, and Duren should be penciled in as future starters. Bey and Stewart would be fine coming off the bench. Everybody else, they're basically warm bodies.

Hayes has to be a pick Weaver wishes he had back. However, that draft class is looking to be pretty weak in retrospect. You get three first round picks, you have to count on one not working out, so I can't ding Weaver too, too bad for missing on Hayes. But not getting one guy worth starting out of those three picks definitely stings for a roster that didn't have any starting caliber talent to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I don't agree with that. Bey has way more value than a second rounder, but the problem is that he should be coming off the bench.
    Yeah I guess he's fine coming off the bench. If he's shooting well that night he gets minutes, if not he sits. He's just so slow and useless trying to guard anyone. Bagley and Stewart aren't much better. Watching Randle beat up on them last night was like a man playing kids.
    Last edited by 401don; November-30-22 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post

Assuming Bogdonovich gets traded at some point, they have 50% of a serviceable rotation. Cade, Ivey, and Duren should be penciled in as future starters. Bey and Stewart would be fine coming off the bench. Everybody else, they're basically warm bodies.

Hayes has to be a pick Weaver wishes he had back. However, that draft class is looking to be pretty weak in retrospect. You get three first round picks, you have to count on one not working out, so I can't ding Weaver too, too bad for missing on Hayes. But not getting one guy worth starting out of those three picks definitely stings for a roster that didn't have any starting caliber talent to begin with.
    Totally agree with that last sentence and I think it's key. The Pistons have had some high draft picks and what they have to show for it, at this juncture, is the worst record in the league.

Totally agree with that last sentence and I think it's key. The Pistons have had some high draft picks and what they have to show for it, at this juncture, is the worst record in the league.
    I was at the game against the NY Knicks last night and we got demolished. But our star player Cade Cunningham didn't play due to an injury so I'd rather us be last place than to ruin our star player with a serious injury. On another note, #0 [[Duren) was really good as well as #28 [[Steward).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast