Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit launches water affordability plan based on income and usage

Detroit launches new water plan...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ge/7746572001/

More catering to the deadbeat lifestyle. Just like welfare. Only work so many hours and demonstrate [[fake) a hardship. This is more BS

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    More catering to the deadbeat lifestyle. Just like welfare. Only work so many hours and demonstrate [[fake) a hardship. This is more BS
    There but for the grace of God go ye.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post

Preaching is the world's third oldest profession, right behind politicking.

True.

But one needs to ballance that with 'if ye shall not work, neither shall ye eat'.

So how do we determine who is need through NO FAULT of their own, and who is just lazy or makes terrible decisions?

That's why welfare is best left to local churches and community organizations. Being right there on the ground, they are better able to judge who is in need, and who is just lazy.

When gov't gets involved, it gets out of control. Also, corrupt politicians will always use it as a way to buy votes with other people's money [A form of election fraud, the same sort of thing that brought down Rome). So they end up creating more poor, more suffering, and more crime, while also damaging the economy.

We should have some of this, but the dozens and dozens of welfare programs that are hidden in practically everything these days is too much.

Name:  d1d.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  38.2 KB

I'm only going to say that the people who live in the 'burbs complain about paying huge water bills through GLWA and if this practice doesn't make it out to Hazel Park, Clawson, Ferndale, etc they are going to be SCREAMING bloody murder.

heh, some folks are retired and live alone on a fixed income, not everyone is a deadbeat

^ I agree [there are those in legitimate need]. Yet, more policies and standards [driven by politics owing to new social ideologies] are being affirmed and demanded. You're told to not just tolerate but celebrate [and even pay for] that which you do NOT agree with or want to support.

Worse you're called the usual stock-of-names when you notice, or say no.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-03-22 at 04:36 PM.

I do not think anybody has an issue helping those who are in a position beyond their control,the issue comes in when you have a system of oppression as a means to an end,when you pay people to not be able to realize their full potential,by nature you discourage them to even try and it becomes a zero sum game.

Thats the difference

Beyond ones control
    Trying to control by placing people in a position where they have no other choice.

In the city I am in I received a letter saying because I am a veteran and 62 I am entitled to a 50% reduction in my water bill,but my property taxes increased 45% in 2 years.

The irony in that is my water bill is only $11 per month to start with.

I would not be saving $6 per month,I would be asking others to pay my way when I am perfectly capable of doing it on my own,if somebody is disabled,retired on a fixed income it is understandable,but if somebody is able to change their situation by adding effort it is a different situation.

This is why a 60 year war on poverty has never actually decreased the level of poverty,just as it has been proven that increasing the cost per student has no direct correlation in increasing graduation rates.

When you set people up for failure,then throw money at them to compensate for that,you are not providing solutions your just transferring the cost over to those who are paying for it while lowering their abilities in the process.

At the time of that report it was concluded that 83% of the families that were living on total government support had a PS3 and other luxury items in the house that only the middle class working families could afford.

It has never been actually about lifting people out of poverty,it has been about providing those on government assistance the same living standards at or above the average working family.

That removes the incentive to actually work in the first place,and is what needs to change.
    Last edited by Richard; July-03-22 at 03:03 PM.

Honky Tonk put a "major league" come-back on ya, it's like we're back in the 8th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    True.

But one needs to ballance that with 'if ye shall not work, neither shall ye eat'...
    In our society, IMHO we just gotta' assume that everyone is running some kind of scam -- at least, we'd be more often right than wrong.

But Paul's Second Epistle to the Thessalonians was a letter to a utopian or covenanted Christian commune in Greece. Every member of the commune was expected to work for the good of all, to love all, etc. We don't have anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Honky Tonk put a "major league" come-back on ya, it's like we're back in the 8th grade.
    I have a little Christian charity and enough imagination to realize that my fate might be other than what it is. That doesn't make me a professional preacher like Kwame.

Every member of the commune was expected to work for the good of all, to love all, etc. We don't have anything like that.
    Most likely because we are not a commy society,maybe that is why the reverend Jim Jones moved his utopian society to Guyana were they also drank the cool aid.

We did have at least a summer of love,where everybody loved each other,in 1967,I think STDs and AIDs put a damper on the rest of the years.

In 1967 a Detroit resident would pay on the average $2.63 for their water bill equal to $19 in todays monies.
    Last edited by Richard; July-03-22 at 10:00 PM.

But Paul's Second Epistle to the Thessalonians was a letter to a utopian or covenanted Christian commune in Greece. Every member of the commune was expected to work for the good of all, to love all, etc.
    Hmmm, I don't read anything like that. It's Paul to the Church at Thessalonica about Christ's second coming, warning about anti-chists etc.

For sure we are NOT to support those who are not both devout in their prayers, AND who are already doing everything they can to support themselves such as moving in with relatives, taking in renters, doing laundry etc. 1st Tim 5-16

But that's something for PM's.
    Last edited by Rocket; July-04-22 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Most likely because we are not a commy society,maybe that is why the reverend Jim Jones moved his utopian society to Guyana were they also drank the cool aid.

We did have at least a summer of love,where everybody loved each other,in 1967,I think STDs and AIDs put a damper on the rest of the years.

In 1967 a Detroit resident would pay on the average $2.63 for their water bill equal to $19 in todays monies.
    You're picking 1967 as the summer of love on a Detroit website? That may be the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

^ Yeah that's pretty daft [1967 comments]. As I usually say, ask a Detroiter. Rather than guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You're picking 1967 as the summer of love on a Detroit website? That may be the dumbest thing you've ever posted.
    One might think he’s never even been to Detroit…

^ Anyone who has will know we don't all act/think/respond 100% along prescribed party lines too [even us dems].

Hmmm, I don't read anything like that. It's Paul to the Church at Thessalonica about Christ's second coming, warning about anti-chists etc.
    Rocket, you're the one who quoted Lenin, so I'm confused. Paul wrote "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat", [[2 Thess. 3:10), which was later adapted by Vladimir Lenin as an adage of the Soviet Union, He who does not work, neither shall he eat.

I'm no scriptural scholar, but as I understand it, the early Christian communities lived with all property shared in common, as that's what Christ told them to do.

P.S. Some of the early Christians were slaves, in which case they were not living in the commune.

Note the irony that this subject generates controversy in a region holding 21% of the planet's fresh surface water.

If this is a big problem then we must be doing very well indeed — otherwise.

Gotta love the Great Lake State! ------

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Note the irony that this subject generates controversy in a region holding 21% of the planet's fresh surface water.
    The issue is, 2/3 of a water bill is for sewer. And you have to be even more careful about what is released from the sewer system when you're that close to that much fresh water.

That's also the reason our lawn fertilizer is so useless here. They have to take all the good stuff out of it to keep from polluting the lakes.

The issue is, 2/3 of a water bill is for sewer.
    And verily I say unto you, "the one that does not work, let him not urinate or defecate."

And verily I say unto you, "the one that does not work, let him not urinate or defecate."

You can always dig a hole and bury it in your backyard. Perhaps build an outhouse like everyone in the world used to do. [And like 1/2 the world still does]

But if you want someone else to take it, remove it from your premises, threat it, then dispose of it in a manner that satisfies the EPA, well, that costs money.

You can always dig a hole and bury it in your backyard. Perhaps build an outhouse like everyone in the world used to do. [And like 1/2 the world still does]

But if you want someone else to take it, remove it from your premises, threat it, then dispose of it in a manner that satisfies the EPA, well, that costs money.
    Well then I guess that makes it official. We're literally taxing shit. LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast