Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bill Bonds & Doris Biscoe [[WXYZ Channel 7 News Anchors)

Recently, I was reading about Bill Bonds' funeral [[12/19/2014) and noticed that, apparently, Doris Biscoe did not attend. That in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean anything, but could also find no comments to the press from Biscoe about Bonds passing. There is also of course the infamous evening news blooper clip on You Tube where Bond's jokes that Biscoe wants him fired. Anyone here have insight on the dynamics between these two co-anchors?

Bonds was a colorful but flawed character. I swear he looked a bit looped in many of his appearances which likely led to his infamous indiscretions. He had a knack for making the story about him.

I only saw him once and that was by chance passing on the street New York City back when the ABC was courting him for higher places. That never happened for reasons I never heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Bonds was a colorful but flawed character. I swear he looked a bit looped in many of his appearances which likely led to his infamous indiscretions. He had a knack for making the story about him.

I only saw him once and that was by chance passing on the street New York City back when the ABC was courting him for higher places. That never happened for reasons I never heard.
    Bonds was indeed a heavy drunk, based on a bit of insider knowledge I have.

Bear in mind too, the 70s were an entirely different era in terms of race & gender relations. Having a black female anchor work alongside a white male anchor was pretty groundbreaking [[to put it nicely) at the time, and I'm sure that contributed to behind the scenes tensions.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-02-22 at 09:28 AM.

This post reminds me that it's time for my annual viewing of 'Anchorman' parts 1&2.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    This post reminds me that it's time for my annual viewing of 'Anchorman' parts 1&2.
    Bill Bonds makes a cameo appearance as a tv anchor man in Planet of the Apes.

In the Rocky film, Diana Lewis interviews Rocky Balboa in the meat locker.

Didn't he challenge CAY to a fight when he was on one of his frequently drunk binges? I know CAY and L Brooks were real chummy as well.

I think he was a really good anchor; he was compelling, I also think he was a total ego manic. I saw him a few times at the lobby bar at the hotel at Southfield Town Center. It would be amazing the salary he would command in the market these days.

As far as I know he was the first local news person to call the 1967 riot a race riot.