Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Oudolf Garden on Belle Isle

Anybody have any pics they can post?

Hola David! I don't have personal photos but found quite a few on google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oudo...&bih=598&dpr=1
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-30-22 at 12:19 PM.

^Thanks Zacha341~!

I noticed that some of the online websites have photos from our resident photographer Southen. Maybe he has some recent photos to show us directly...
    Last edited by Gistok; June-30-22 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Anybody have any pics they can post?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NqW_cxrQKHYYzA

WOW! I've must go see this in person. Thanks HT.

Here it is in early March when volunteers were cleaning if up for the growing season.
    Name:  oudolf.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  99.3 KB

I was just out there this morning photographing the garden for a book. I would recommend checking out the garden's instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/oudolfgardendetroit/?hl=en

A good chunk of the images on there are mine but also quite a few from other Grounds Crew members.

I also updated my website this Spring to showcase some of the images I have taken in the garden over the last couple of years. You'll be able to see what it looks like in each season as well as see the planting and construction with the all volunteer crew.

https://www.ryansouthen.com/projects...arden-detroit/

The garden is gorgeous any time of day but I find it to be particularly magical first thing in the morning. It just hits differently. There is also a great deal of wildlife in the vicinity which adds to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I was just out there this morning photographing the garden for a book. I would recommend checking out the garden's instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/oudolfgardendetroit/?hl=en

A good chunk of the images on there are mine but also quite a few from other Grounds Crew members.

I also updated my website this Spring to showcase some of the images I have taken in the garden over the last couple of years. You'll be able to see what it looks like in each season as well as see the planting and construction with the all volunteer crew.

The garden is gorgeous any time of day but I find it to be particularly magical first thing in the morning. It just hits differently. There is also a great deal of wildlife in the vicinity which adds to the experience.
    Fantastic photos! Enjoyed them very much.

Thanks to all! I won't be able to see it until next year. It is doing really well.

I also would like to thank Southen for sharing the beautiful photographs.

Viewing them today was a highlight of my day. Your cityscapes in rare light are nothing short of amazing.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-01-22 at 07:08 PM.

I gotta agree about the great images Southen... loved the drone shots too!!

Spectacular photography Southen!

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post

You are all too kind, thank you. The images really don’t do the garden justice though so be sure to visit in person!

Thanks, Ryan, for the terrific photostory showing the garden as it was being developed!! I don't think we've been on Belle Isle this year, but will be sure to get there soon!!!

Thanks Ryan and Honkey Tonk!! Great pix!!

Stromberg2

Didn't take long once I realized we hadn't been to Belle Isle once in 2022!!

We headed over early Sunday evening to enjoy a picnic dinner along the river and check out the Oudolf Garden and the new Nordin Brothers sculpture on the east end of the island.

At the Oudolf Garden, saw some beautiful "fields" of colorful flowers. However some areas look to be in great need of water.

I know that the Carillon bells have been restored, but the Peace Carillon building and surrounding fenced moat and grounds look to be in need of work. Is that in the works?

^ Cool reporting in Kathleen. I've got to go. Perhaps today. I knew nothing about the new sculpture by the Nordin's!

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...in/8387749002/

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Didn't take long once I realized we hadn't been to Belle Isle once in 2022!!

We headed over early Sunday evening to enjoy a picnic dinner along the river and check out the Oudolf Garden and the new Nordin Brothers sculpture on the east end of the island.

At the Oudolf Garden, saw some beautiful "fields" of colorful flowers. However some areas look to be in great need of water.

I know that the Carillon bells have been restored, but the Peace Carillon building and surrounding fenced moat and grounds look to be in need of work. Is that in the works?
    The garden is still a work in progress. The original design engulfed the Carillon but last minute things needed to be changed due to the flooding on Belle Isle so the garden was elevated and moved to the northern part of the site. Because of that there exists some dead space on either side of the Carillon which will be planted later this year as wet meadows. Piet is still working on the final design for those but that will help give a more polished look. The wet meadows will be more natural looking and consist of plants that can thrive when the area is wet or flooded and when it is drier like it has been.

The hope is that the investment in the garden will help spur other investment in the Carillon and the bandshell. Both are in need of a serious cash infusion. Right now the focus of the volunteer group is to complete the garden and then we may reevaluate some things like helping with the Carillon. In the coming weeks there should be permanent installation of nicer trash cans and we will be having a number of large benches installed in various parts of the garden. Right now the only sitting area is at the Canadian Peace monument so that hope is that benches will encourage people to linger even longer.

The process started before the pandemic and typically Piet is hands on with all of his gardens. He has been helping with this one via Zoom and email which has been a departure from his usually process. He is visiting the garden in person for the first time since installation this summer and from there we may have even more changes to make. It probably won’t be complete for a few more years but its still beautiful in the meantime

Thanks so much, Ryan, for sharing all that info on the current state of the garden and what is planned. Good to know as I intend to share the garden with friends who haven't been on Belle Isle in a while!
    Last edited by Kathleen; July-06-22 at 03:08 PM.