Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Location of Lawn Bowling greens in Detroit?

Detroit was home to at least 2 Lawn Bowling Clubs in 1961 the Detroit Eastside Lawn Bowling Club and Detroit Lawn Bowling Club.

James Bell of Detroit LBC in an editorial dated 1964 identifies location of their field as being at Wreford and Grandriver for over 40 years

There were 42 members until just the other day.
    While they were bowling on their usual rink, at Wreford and
    Grand River, on a balmy Saturday evening ...
    three young rowdies suddenly
    appeared, snatched two pocketbooks from
    a bench, and ran down the street.
    Some of the members gave chase, but
    soon were exhausted and gave up and
    went home. Two hours later one of them died.

Looking to identify where the green was. Typically these greens are either grass or fields. 100-120 feet long. Typically square to accommodate 4 lanes [[grass fields must be square to allow switching directions from east-west and south-north between games). Clay court need not be square and therefore could have anywhere from 1-4 lanes).

The Wreford looks from Google maps to have an area at the corner of Grand River that might have been a clay surface at one point [[I suspect but it is not clear. I am also not clear on the size of this area). Looks like it has been paved over and is being used as some type of skate park.

It appears from a guide to the city that there was a field at Conner Playfield near Gratiot. However I can't find anything more specific on it's location.
    Last edited by manualshift; June-25-22 at 01:17 PM. Reason: errors

^ Thanks for sharing this manualshift. Someone here may know that greens location. Love your handle! I drove sticks for about 20 years before finally going back to automatic.

It was located at Northwestern Field, along the north side of Wreford as you said. Photos of bowlers clearly show Olympia Stadium in the background.

The East Side Lawn Bowling Club was at 9901 Connor, in the parkway along the west side of the road, south of the utility substation, south of Gratiot.

Wow! That makes sense. I grew up in that area and to date Northwestern HS has one of the larger fields [let's not even talk about that postage-stamp one butted up against the new Cass Tech HS]!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-29-22 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It was located at Northwestern Field, along the north side of Wreford as you said. Photos of bowlers clearly show Olympia Stadium in the background.
    Thank you. I can see a square grass field at that location when looking at some arial photos of Olympia. I didn't realize Olympia was right there. Where did you happen to see any photos of lawn bowlers?

Looks like there isn't a trace of the East Side Lawn Bowling Club left. But, thank you for solving that mystery.

Sadly it appears the Flint Lawn Bowling Club is also gone with no trace of their green left. Apparently the community center burned down after the emergency manager shuttered it.

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    Where did you happen to see any photos of lawn bowlers?
    Virtual Motor City. See if this link works:

Bowling on the green

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    Thank you. I can see a square grass field at that location when looking at some arial photos of Olympia. I didn't realize Olympia was right there. Where did you happen to see any photos of lawn bowlers?

Looks like there isn't a trace of the East Side Lawn Bowling Club left. But, thank you for solving that mystery.

Sadly it appears the Flint Lawn Bowling Club is also gone with no trace of their green left. Apparently the community center burned down after the emergency manager shuttered it.
    There is, however, still an active lawn bowling club in Windsor, where my late cousin was an active member and player for several years. It's in Jackson Park, just off Ouellette & Tecumseh and they often hold open events for folks who may be interested in trying the game.

East Side Lawn Bowling Club. The two squares in the center, surrounded by the old Quonset huts along Conner:

Name:  ESLBC.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  139.7 KB

Detroit Lawn Bowling Club. The two squares between Olympia and the ball diamonds along Grand River:

Name:  DLBC.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  123.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    East Side Lawn Bowling Club. The two squares in the center, surrounded by the old Quonset huts along Conner:

Name:  ESLBC.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  139.7 KB

Detroit Lawn Bowling Club. The two squares between Olympia and the ball diamonds along Grand River:

Name:  DLBC.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  123.2 KB

One in the East Side on Conner and Gratiot Ave.

Other at the West Side on Grand River Ave. near McGraw St.