Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dead seagulls litter West Jefferson . . . AGAIN

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ave/396567001/

This article is from 2017 and describes a rather disturbing scene on West Jefferson over by Zug Island where the street was randomly covered with dead seagulls. I remember when this happened.

2017 was NOT the first time I've seen this happen. I want to say sometime around summer 2012 this also occurred.

If you've driven that stretch of Jefferson at all this week, you've seen that this same horror show has happened again. The seagulls are only on the Detroit side of the Jefferson bridge, immediately after crossing over.

The quote in the article about these being baby seagulls who just got stuck and couldn't get out of the way is horse sh*t. If that were true it would happen all the time, and not randomly every few years for the span of about one week.

Who is putting what exactly in the air that is causing this, and how is this legal?!?!?!

I won't say that it's caused by the resurgent avian flu but that is one possibility that needs to be eliminated.

GLWA hired a firm to reduce the seagull population. Earlier in the year I think they harvested eggs out of some seagull nests and maybe moved some nesting seagulls to other locations. This is an abundant flock. Most of the seagulls are thriving. Sociologically they do everything right. A few years back, one year there was a die off from botulism poisoning. This year there is no sign of any environmental or biological agents affecting the gulls.

To the contrary they are probably about to have a mayfly repast in the coming week. If you are traveling in the area at night and can see the flare stack at Zug, check it for seagulls flying around it catching the mayflies.

It looks terrible out there on West Jefferson, like a seagull vs. car war zone but really everything is as good as it can be. The baby seagull chicks did all hatch out in the last month and don't know to not stand in front of cars and trucks. If all cars and trucks on West Jefferson were to be very mindful and careful about these babies, and all were to drive at about five miles per hour so the chicks can run down the road in front of them and not get hit, there wouldn't be so many dead seagulls in the road. It is what it is.

[Gannon was appalled at the sight as well, RIP Gannon.]
    Last edited by Dumpling; June-24-22 at 02:32 PM.