Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Henry Ford’s Boston Edison Home on the Market

Amazing house with a equally impressive history…

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M42243-60869

And the current owners have truly been the greatest stewards for the house, among their other endeavors!! Best wishes to them!!

The grounds are gorgeous. The stuffy funeral-parlor interiors leave a lot to be desired. I'm sure there's a way to celebrate it's historic nature without a contemporary botch-job, but it's a 'no' for me. Color me stunned by the $8k tax bill - seems very low.
    Last edited by hybridy; June-22-22 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    The grounds are gorgeous. The stuffy funeral-parlor interiors leave a lot to be desired. I'm sure there's a way to celebrate it's historic nature without a contemporary botch-job, but it's a 'no' for me. Color me stunned by the $8k tax bill - seems very low.
    I agree... too much "Arts & Crafts" era look with lots of annoying stripes... and curtains that are too frilly...

^ Hah! Yeah that wallpaper and window treatment would have to go. Otherwise great. I can only imagine how dense those walls are and the nice hardwood.

The house was built in 1908,late 1880s early 1900s the movement to “arts n crafts “ paint colors was already well underway.

It may not be historically accurate,but it is historically correct,of course the current caretakers were there and would have been able to peel back the layers.

It is for sale and anybody is welcome to purchase it and make it to suit their tastes,although at the current asking price the taxes are going to be a tad bit more then when it was last for sale at $200k and $8000 in taxes,which anybody should have been able to buy,that was peanuts for what it is.

I would take something like that with character over the average suburban anybody can own box houses that most live in,wonder if their 1980s walls are painted historically correct with everything white.

Arts & Crafts colors 1880s to 1910

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/en-us/color/color-collections/historic-paint-colors
    Last edited by Richard; June-22-22 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The house was built in 1908,late 1880s early 1900s the movement to “arts n crafts “ paint colors was already well underway.

It may not be historically accurate,but it is historically correct,of course the current caretakers were there and would have been able to peel back the layers.

It is for sale and anybody is welcome to purchase it and make it to suit their tastes,although at the current asking price the taxes are going to be a tad bit more then when it was last for sale at $200k and $8000 in taxes,which anybody should have been able to buy,that was peanuts for what it is.

I would take something like that with character over the average suburban anybody can own box houses that most live in,wonder if their 1980s walls are painted historically correct with everything white.

Arts & Crafts colors 1880s to 1910

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/en-us/color/color-collections/historic-paint-colors
    Richard, you are preaching to the choir on this forum when it comes to historic preservation... especially the Arts & Crafts period... where Detroit's own Pewabic Pottery richly detailed many historic homes. You're not an expert in everything. And now you are telling us that we are wrong to dislike something about an old house... sheesh...

^ apparently not when you posted - To much arts & crafts area when they were the colors of the day.

Because you have had a narrow path of focus in life you assume everybody else has.

I may not be an expert at historic preservation but it was a lucrative part of my life for many years as a contractor and sense it is spelled out pretty clear the current owners are “are true historians and archivists.”

I would give them some credit that they kinda knew what they were doing as they went about it,and calling it a contemporary botch job,that you also agreed to is not a dislike or understanding the historical aspect when it comes to historical preservation that you are an expert on.

If it helps your insecurities some,I am not an expert on LEGOs,that would be in your purvey,see how it is entirely possible for different people to know different things?

The current caretakers are selling and moving into an assisted living facility after living there for 40 years,I think they have done something and preserved something that they should be and are proud of and people should be happy that somebody kept it that original and respect that.
    Last edited by Richard; June-23-22 at 07:33 AM.