Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Man Brandishing Gun at Man with child at Gas station...

The police found the riff raff!

OK... [sorry Zacha341] but what is the point of this thread? A UK tabloid talks about something that may be newsworthy in the UK, but is common in just about every state and county in the USA. We have our second amendment, it's been discussed ad nauseum... we talk about gun controls ad nauseum... we talk about children getting killed by guns ad nauseum. That's all our politicians do is talk. We Americans are jaded to guns and all the killings that they cause... at least the gun loving part of our population is.

But I guess we'll here from our usual cast of characters... again...

Maybe this type of incident is "common" to those who live in, or in a region anchored by, what has traditionally been the most dangerous city.

But for most of us who live in other parts of the US and the developed world, there's absolutely nothing "common" about a grown man aiming a gun at a child in public & broad daylight, nor should it be accepted as common.

^ Of course it shouldn't be accepted as common... I was being rhetorical...

But there's guns pointed at people in EVERY PART of the US... and as for the rest of the world... that's outside the scope of this forum...
    Last edited by Gistok; June-21-22 at 11:42 PM.

The baby aspect seems irrelevant anymore,people start knockdown fights in Chucky Cheese,people holding babies attacking service workers at fast food,people bringing babies and small children to what would be considered adult rated protests and riots.

I think it is indicative of a larger problem where they are not viewed as babies or children anymore,just little mini adults,the video seems to indicate street cred held precedence over rational thinking.

No justification, but they are not telling us what started it in the first place and there are some that have zero issues with using babies or children as a shield.

Notice how the rhetoric immediately focused on the gun,when it is common knowledge that acid attacks,knife stabbings,strapping bombs to children is pretty commonplace across the world and even in the UK where the daily mail is based,not to forget about the past of IRÁ bombings where many children were killed.

The focus always seems to point to everything but where it should be,on the actual violence and what drives it.

Interesting enough the guy with the gun went directly to pointing at the guys head,verses randomly opening up which would have put the baby at risk,so in his mind he was not looking to risk harm to the actual baby which shows he was capable of some kind of rational thought,if one can call it that.

What are the actual root causes of violence in cities such as Detroit,not that it holds the exclusive reins to it.

Meh,it has to be the weapon of choice,so lets concentrate all our efforts on that,makes sense to deal with non rational issues with non rational decisions.

Without the internet this would have been just another day in the life,when you keep and continue to keep generations oppressed with little chance of opportunity you are realizing the consequences,don’t look to change that look at the methods,that way you can justify it so you can sleep at night.

Not saying you as in you personally,those that know that shoes fits,wears it and it is usually the ones that speak the loudest as they try and justify it are the ones that feel the most guilty.

Violence has always been a part of society,but for the most part there is less of it when people have hope and opportunity,nobody can deny that.
    Last edited by Richard; June-22-22 at 01:01 AM.

You fein interest in addressing the root causes of these things in cities like Detroit but that would require an investment in education, healthcare and opportunities. That doesn’t quite jive with lowering taxes which is the only solution proposed for anything by the right. Abbott cut mental health funding by hundreds of millions right before Uvalde. It’s disingenuous to say we need to focus on root causes when you won’t fund those initiatives either. It’s just fluff you can regurgitate time and time again to make it seem like you care while not addressing guns at all.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You fein interest in addressing the root causes of these things in cities like Detroit but that would require an investment in education, healthcare and opportunities.
    My aunt works for a law firm that specializes in suing school districts who redirect funds meant for social workers and parapros to other uses [[usually teacher or administrator salaries.)

She used to be a social worker, but when there were budgets cuts in the school, the teacher's union forced the district to lay off all social workers before laying off a single teacher, even though there were funds earmarked for social workers.

There is plenty of money flying around my school district. Every single millage they put out for any reason passes. My son's school has one part-time social worker for around 400 students.

Yeah, one could argue it comes off as negative sensationalism. But I also post positive items as well as other information regarding Detroit.

Re. the Second Amendment, well, if that goes brazen criminals like that dude will certainly be happy and still joyfully retaining their firearms!

Many Detroiter's KNOW this full-well withstanding what we're told or promised by politicians and the mainstream news media. Even when we're told [once again] how disarming law-abiding citizens is what's BEST FOR US.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... [sorry Zacha341] but what is the point of this thread? A UK tabloid talks about something that may be newsworthy in the UK, but is common in just about every state and county in the USA....
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-22-22 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    My aunt works for a law firm that specializes in suing school districts who redirect funds meant for social workers and parapros to other uses [[usually teacher or administrator salaries.)

She used to be a social worker, but when there were budgets cuts in the school, the teacher's union forced the district to lay off all social workers before laying off a single teacher, even though there were funds earmarked for social workers.

There is plenty of money flying around my school district. Every single millage they put out for any reason passes. My son's school has one part-time social worker for around 400 students.
    There isn't enough money. Your post illustrates that. There is a massive teacher shortage in this country and many districts like Detroit are getting a new crop of Teach for America teachers each year because the turnover is so high. If you have quality teachers with experience you have to keep them somehow and I imagine that is where that money is being redirected, versus some sort of greed as I believe you are inferring. There should be enough money to properly pay teachers AND have social workers on staff. Right now districts have to make decisions like the one you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You fein interest in addressing the root causes of these things in cities like Detroit but that would require an investment in education, healthcare and opportunities. That doesn’t quite jive with lowering taxes which is the only solution proposed for anything by the right. Abbott cut mental health funding by hundreds of millions right before Uvalde. It’s disingenuous to say we need to focus on root causes when you won’t fund those initiatives either. It’s just fluff you can regurgitate time and time again to make it seem like you care while not addressing guns at all.
    In the 55 years sense the left declared a war in poverty over $55 TRILLION dollars have been spent addressing it.

With ZERO change in poverty levels as a result.

You have had the money to address lack of opportunity and oppression and throw in free healthcare for all, to boot,so why is it the rights fault when you are the ones choosing to keep people oppressed and without the opportunity that you have had trillions in order to address?

You with that mindset have systematically destroyed generations and then have the audacity to blame it on guns as a convenient distraction.

What is the end game?

Those numbers do not include social security or Medicare.

The U.S. spends $550 billion per year in poverty,there is no way in the world nobody can say,throw $1 billion at cities like Detroit useing it to teach life skills,training the population for work,education and provide the opportunity.

Even if you took 5 cities and threw $10 billion at each city it would make a difference.

But the reality of it is,we have already done that, but the money was spent to encourage oppression and remove opportunities for the sole purpose of keeping things the way they are,Detroit is not historically Republican,it is not republicans keeping Detroit's majority in the dirt,in order to maintain power that is the path the party chooses,at the expense of the people.

The war on poverty was implemented by a Democrat and as designed would have been an effective tool,but most have manipulated that tool to meet their end game in order to retain power over the people instead giving it to the people who deserve it the most.

That recent announcement about skills training was actually presented 3 years ago,when it was first proposed,it included anybody that wanted to take advantage of it regardless of education.

It was rejected by your governor and your party and now all of the sudden your governor stands with the union and says what an excellent idea it is.

So that was 3 years of missed opportunity for millions just so a few could tout that it was them that implemented it,half assed at that and only for the chosen few.

You have $550,000 billion a year to address the ills,but you do not and things remain the same.

Maybe stop throwing people into the dirt so you can pretend to be the good guy and saving them without actually doing anything,while placing the blame on everything and everybody else as a distraction.

You do not need to raise taxes,take the money you are already spending to keep people down and raise them up.
    Last edited by Richard; June-22-22 at 10:52 AM.

^ they have a person of interest in custody but no charges filed yet,so they still do not know if it is the man.

Man that's a lot of paragraphs for deflection. What is sad is that the easier argument for you is laying 55 trillion in "wasted" dollars on the left as if they govern in a vacuum and as if the complexities of funding at a local, state and federal level are so simple that you can simply blame one party. All of that because you couldn't come up with anything in the Republican platform to support the "lets go for the root causes" argument you attempt to make.

^ out of the top 37 major cities,4 have republican mayors and that is not a continuation of historic control.

You can deflect all you want,the 3 things you cannot change is history,facts and the math.

Republicans have always had the stance of ,Teach a man to fish and he will eat for life.

Not,pay a man not to fish and you will have his vote for life.

It was not me or the republicans opposing skills and advanced skills training in the urban core,we were the ones pressing for it while yes you and others bent over backwards in order not to make it happen,for 4 solid years.

Thats the difference,you and others are on record putting party over people,as much as you close your eyes and deny it,it is on the internet for all the world to see.

There is hope for redemption,but first you actually have to care about others,instead of pretending to,that would be the first step.

Trying to re-write history to fit your narrative,does not work.

Go door to door in the hood and tell people that the republicans are their enemies and they are the reason for the current conditions,do you think you have them beat down so bad that they cannot figure out that there has not been a Republican within 20 miles of them for the last 50 years?

I have no issues with the original war in poverty as designed by a democrat and with the original intent that received bi-lateral support to get passed,but year after year it was the Dems adding another link to the chains that bind people into poverty and dispare that is leading to the unchecked violence,you have systematically stripped all hope and community support from their lives,by design.

Everybody is shocked because a man pointed a gun at a man holding a baby,you created the animals by not treating them like humans and then are shocked when they do something that is happening and has been happening on a daily basis?

Its just another day in the hood,I know because I live in the hood,the only difference is everybody is equally armed and it is a lot safer with less crime then in the expensive trendy parts of the city.

Right this second I could not even tell you where my front door keys are because it’s been at least 10 years sense I locked it when I left and never lock my cars up,and that’s where people tell me ooooo you live there?

You are not dealing with monsters,you are systematically creating them and the best you can come up with is …. The gun, pffft
    Last edited by Richard; June-22-22 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... [sorry Zacha341] but what is the point of this thread? A UK tabloid talks about something that may be newsworthy in the UK, but is common in just about every state and county in the USA. We have our second amendment, it's been discussed ad nauseum... we talk about gun controls ad nauseum... we talk about children getting killed by guns ad nauseum. That's all our politicians do is talk. We Americans are jaded to guns and all the killings that they cause... at least the gun loving part of our population is.

… and then there are the ads that add another level to ad nauseam adaptability…

Here’s "Hunting for Rinos" for your benefit, Gistok.

https://youtu.be/bZZ2Y6fAq8o

That Greiters guy. Great humor.
    Last edited by canuck; June-22-22 at 02:45 PM.

^ what’s the difference between that and this outside of shock value?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JtFVvq9g5Ls

You should know better then to respond to somebody that is the first to post this in a thread

Being the first in that cast of characters to hear from to post
    Last edited by Richard; June-22-22 at 03:06 PM.

Oh a parable! I guess that falls under the category of facts for you. Again, with an opportunity to provide any sort of platform you come up with "teach a man to fish."

Apparently the Democratic platform is to create monsters and oppress people. One might think that with a group so devious and evil the right could win back cities with ease. OR... could it be that a party, albeit incredibly flawed, that attempts to actually help people and provide social programs might be preferred to the guys who give tax breaks to the wealthy and when asked what their platform is says "teach a man to fish." Yeah, that should do it.

^ and your way has proven to work so well in helping people for the last 50 years,you do not get out much do you?

Detroit is a democrat city that gave 200 million to a wealthy individual,and has given every project up to a 35 year tax capture how exactly is that republicans giving tax breaks to the wealthy.

Would you say that giving those tax breaks to the wealthy investors in the city has made it a better place or worse?

No matter what you come back with and try to justify with,all the facts are out there that shows you have no standing,they are not my personal facts,I did not make them up and you cannot improve things by ignoring them or pretending they do not exist or by buying yourself salvation by saying we give the poor money,so we are the good guys.

You keep them poor just so you can say - see we care about you because we give you money and look good in the mirror.

I had a guy that used to work for me,I asked him one day,why do you have 8 kids,he said because if I keep the wife barefoot and pregnant she will not stray.

I wonder where he learned that from?

You are seeing acts of desperation from people that figure they have nothing to loose,they are either in jail in the streets or in jail behind walls and the best you can come up with is,take away the gun and it all becomes hugs and kisses.

Why does Detroit have a high rate of violence? Do you think it directly correlates to a high poverty rate combined with a lack of opportunity?

You said you are at least attempting to help,clearly you suck at it and maybe it is time to re-think if your version of “help” is actually helping,clearly it is not.

It shows a societal disconnect when people are shocked that somebody pulled a gun on somebody holding a baby in the hood,babies and kids have been dying in the hood before their time for generations,it was not to long ago when a crackhead would kill you in the hood for a rock or babies were traded for a fix.

Your brand of “help” is not working,you hold that candle and as much as you place blame on everybody else,you own it and you need to change it.
    Last edited by Richard; June-23-22 at 12:23 AM.

Just so we are clear, you hired a real pos and that is because of the democratic party? For someone that bloviates about narratives constantly you sure keep missing the one you keep pushing.

How about this... if the Republican Party keeps you living in fear that the dems are coming for all of your guns, there is a war on Christmas, that BLM is a terror organization, that the election was stolen and that every conspiracy theory is true as a deflection you might keep voting for them. See how that game works?

Actually I want gun reform and an increase in education spending and better healthcare in this country. You don't want to do any of those things. You pretend to want to find solutions but then your ilk does things like cut mental healthcare prior to a massacre then claim that we have a mental health crisis in this country. You play both sides of any issue without ever attempting to fix it, then you complain that the other side has done nothing when the Republican Party plays the role of obstructionist at any attempt to address it.

You can cherry pick a situation like Detroit and developers, just like you cherry picked one piece of legislation, but Detroit is not like most cities and Detroit isn't representative of national policies or initiatives. I am outright against tax breaks for something like District Detroit where there is minimal benefit to Detroiters. I am more receptive to the Gilbert approach that involves abatement based on future taxes paid by a development. These incentives had to go before the state, which I should probably mention has a Republican legislature that controls the purse strings.

You continue to act like the Dems legislate and govern in a vacuum without any input or influence from Republicans. Just point me to any legislation put forth on a national level to address any of the things you say need to be addressed by your party. I keep asking for examples of what your "brand" of help looks like and instead you give me parables and stories about employees you hired. Telling, no?

Update on this

The man wielding the weapon, Euric Butler, 51, appeared in court in a preliminary hearing on Wednesday, where the court had no choice but to drop the case due to the man carrying his baby not appearing in court.