Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Receivership for Detroit?

Mayor Bing is trying to make budget cuts to get out of the deficit. Now the unions are pushing back. Can the mayor makes the necessary cuts to close the deficit by himself? Or does he need council's approval? He is up for re-election in November. What if he makes big cuts and the city employees work to get him voted out of office? I think the city employees are one of the most powerful voting blocks in Detroit. Detroit could just spend it's way into receivership because nobody wants to cut precious jobs. I like what Robert Bob did with making all of the DPS employees pick up their pay checks and auditing the payroll. He has found fraud. Why does Mayor Bing not do the same thing with the city of Detroit employees? I kinda like this Robert Bob, he seems like a no nonsense kind of guy. What do you think of him as the emergency financial manger for the city of Detroit if it does go into receivership? I think that is what happened with Highland Park, the city employees refused job cuts, the city went broke, then receivership.

I usually don't trust people who have two first names, but Bob seems definitely seems like a no nonsense guy. Hopefully they can cut cut cut without having complete lawlessness in the city

Not going to happen.
    I envision strikes by union members who don't want
    to take pay cuts or get laid off. They'll hasten
    the end of the line for the city's finances.
    I hope reason trumps self interest but I doubt it.
    Bing is threatening privatizing areas that will revolt.
    He said before he would only be a one term mayor and if he goes through with his plan, he will be.
    Of course, it won't make any difference who the next mayor is if the city goes into receivership.
    Not a pretty picture.

Unions lost clout when city workers were allowed to live outside the city. Before they represented large groups of voters, now not so much. With so many non-residents working in jobs the union has no voice when it comes to electing mayors or the city council.

City workers used to provide stability to neighborhoods, now with so many out of the City they do not. Maybe there needs to be a new classification of City worker, with those living in the City having higher pay ranges than those living outside?

Horse is out of the barn on that issue.
    Does Bing have a photo of the Titanic in his office?

Give it about up couple years and Detroit will go into recievership.

The Emergency Financial Manager will put a spending cap in most city projects and sevices. The city council will do absolutely nothing to make spending possible. The E.F.M. will propose privatization most city services [[ Have corporations run the Detroit) and the citizens will feel the crunch.