Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone know what's on fire [[near) Downtown?

My friend posted this pic on FB

Name:  285469823_10224559909136574_4397315109259525919_n.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  99.0 KB

WDIV reporting that the Woodward Bar near Woodward and Milwaukee is a 2-alarm fire. Also says that it appears to be a total loss.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/video...ts-new-center/

That's a real shame. It was something of a landmark in the history of Detroit's gay community and was the longest continually operating gay bar in the Detroit area.

Horrible way to lose a business in the New Center Area even when its next to the childhood home of Stevie Wonder.

I was driving by there [or trying to] when that was going on. I think the fire was in the gay bar immediately to the south of Detroit Hardware.

Pretty sure that half of the block was bought up by an investor a few years ago. Detroit Hardware's owners and employees took it as an opportunity to retire. That was a loss for the area for sure. A lot of old buildings were kept in repair with stuff from Detroit Hardware.

I do not think I have ever been in a bar that was gay,can you tell by looking at it,or is just a happy building?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I do not think I have ever been in a bar that was gay,can you tell by looking at it,or is just a happy building?
    Yes Richard... all those gays are in cahoots... they make the bars look nice and unsuspecting... and if you accidentally stumble into it as a straight person, they will all be nice to you and buy you drinks, with lots of camaraderie... then when the alcohol has you loosened up, they will initiate you by playing an innocent game called "Red Rover Red Rover... Let Richard Come Over". And then BAM... you're gay!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes Richard... all those gays are in cahoots... they make the bars look nice and unsuspecting... , they will all be nice to you and buy you drinks, with lots of camaraderie... then when the alcohol has you loosened up, they will initiate you by playing an innocent game called "Red Rover Red Rover... Let Richard Come Over". And then BAM... you're gay!
    I never heard the Red Rover thing, but I did hear they were very courteous, and would offer to push in your stool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I never heard the Red Rover thing, but I did hear they were very courteous, and would offer to push in your stool.
    Unsurprising junior high school “humor” from the far right.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; June-14-22 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes Richard... all those gays are in cahoots... they make the bars look nice and unsuspecting... and if you accidentally stumble into it as a straight person, they will all be nice to you and buy you drinks, with lots of camaraderie... then when the alcohol has you loosened up, they will initiate you by playing an innocent game called "Red Rover Red Rover... Let Richard Come Over". And then BAM... you're gay!
    Thats why I like this site,if one has a question concerning the intimacies of Detroit,somebody with a wealth of experience and knowledge will help fill in the blanks.

So what kind of alcohol are we talking about,and how much ….. asking for a friend.

There were also a bunch of fire trucks between Campus Martius and the Hudson's site yesterday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Goodness, this kind of juvenile idiocy is tiresome.