Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I saw a freighter turn around in the middle of the Detroit River Saturday!?

Was at Historic Fort Wayne for PAL youth league soccer on Saturday [[6/4) around 10:45 am when there was a freighter heading towards the Gordie Howe Bridge pillars. It started slowing down, then it was sideways with the engines churning up muddy water behind it, finally turning around and heading back the other way towards the Ambassador Bridge! It seemed amazing that it could acomplish this? Is this unusual or rare? Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the ship or take any pics. Does anyone have any info or see it as well?

Probably turning around to dock at the Mistersky fuel dock. They point into the current to dock there. Or the Nicholson terminal. Maybe going back up to the Belle Isle anchorage, but usually they make the about face there instead.
    Last edited by MikeM; June-06-22 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm not at the river often and since I semed to be one of just a few folks who paid it any attention, I kinda figured it wasn't that unusual? It was neat to watch it happen though!

Nice! Fantastic view indeed! I have been watching the freighters for over 20 years along our straight known as the Detroit River. Yes, they sometimes turn about there. It's wild to see a long ship change direction.

If you like this kind of thing [Great Lake Freighters and other ships] check out Boatnerd.com. They have all kinds of information on ship passages, and popular berthing spots and where they layup for the winter season:

https://boatnerd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    It started slowing down, then it was sideways with the engines churning up muddy water behind it, finally turning around and heading back the other way towards the Ambassador Bridge!

It's the latest craze. River pilots doing spin-outs in the Detroit River!