Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fire at Traffic Jam & Snug Restaurant

Traffic Jam & Snug in Detroit's Midtown likely a total loss after massive blaze [[fox2detroit.com)
    A popular brewpub and longtime restaurant of Midtown Detroitcaught fire Friday morning, where flames could be seen shooting into the sky during the blaze.

Not looking good. Will have to cancel lunch plans for today.
    Menu from 1970. My twin brother was a bartender there from the late 1960s to early 1970s.
    Name:  1970 Traffic Jam.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  246.0 KB

Sad news, for sure! Have many fun memories of meals enjoyed there!! Hoping that they will have the resources and the stamina to rebuild!

4. Default

Picture from Crain's email notice. Sad. That and Marios around the corner have anchored that block since the 1960's at least, through all the dark years until the block became the hottest property in Midtown.

Name:  Traffic-Jam-Fire-Crains.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  121.4 KB

Used to be Marios Italian Restuarant long ago. It's total loss. The owners will determine rebuild that area. At least the microbrewery is spared.

^ Um, isn't that next door?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Um, isn't that next door?
    Yes, TJ&S is on Canfield, and Mario's is around the corner, to the right in that pic on Second Ave.

I used to live on that street back in the day. It was a LOT rougher then. Now it's a place I take visitors from out of town [never to The Snug, but rather to the brewery / pizza joint across the street, and to Third Man Records, and Shinola.

In about 1998 TJ&S was serving the best beer I've ever tasted. They called it 'Cole Porter' [A porter of course]. Bit of a coffee flavor. Amazing.

TJ&S was the first milk jug brewery? [Not sure how that went, something about how Michigan relaxed its laws in the early 90's to allow small brewerys, and they started doing their own beer.]

It was actually always made by some German brewmeister across the street at the Motor City Brewery, and they'd haul it across the street to TJ's to ferment in large metal milk jugs. But either way, some amazing beers.

This is unfortunate. Years ago, when the DIA had the Rembrandt exhibit, the group I saw it with had lunch at TJ&S. It was a nice little place and it was sad to hear what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Sad news, for sure! Have many fun memories of meals enjoyed there!! Hoping that they will have the resources and the stamina to rebuild!
    Agreed!
    Last edited by 248lurker; May-28-22 at 10:08 PM.

I think I was there once ... late 70s, early 80s. Was told to look for the place with no signs, only an unmarked door. Don't remember what I had. Quirky, non descript, low key college place then.

That's right. I ate there a few times over the last few years but was underwhelmed. Know wish I would have tried to beer as you described. Drove by there last night. Incredible the whole connecting block did not go up in flames as well -- taking out Shinola, that Jolly Pumpkin or whatever it is called bar etc.

Truly a sad situation. It will be soon revealed possibly how the fire started.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Yes, TJ&S is on Canfield, and Mario's is around the corner, to the right in that pic on Second Ave.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-29-22 at 03:32 PM.

IIRC in the ungentrified corridor there was a large parking lot on the north side of Canfield across from TJ&S. You could park for free at night and if you could get inside the front door without being mugged then a good time was had by all. Is the parking lot till there?
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; May-29-22 at 05:31 PM.

^ Yes. The lot is still there with a sign that says parking is free courtesy of TJ&S. I drove up onto the lot yesterday evening to take a look across at the burned building and noticed the sign. That was at about 10:30 PM or so.

Can someone, a news article, anyone please address the red gas can lying out front in the picture?

I've never been there [not a bar person]. But can someone say something about the interior? Maybe the outer masonry is salvageable, and the place can be rebuilt. But I was wondering if the interior was nondescript, or something fancy?

^ It was not overly bar-like. And certainly not 'sports-bar' like. It was more like a walk-thru connections of cubby like seating areas and rooms for dining. I think the bar was in the front you could walk past if not interested.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-30-22 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I've never been there [not a bar person]. But can someone say something about the interior? Maybe the outer masonry is salvageable, and the place can be rebuilt. But I was wondering if the interior was nondescript, or something fancy?
    A lot of wood, a lot of knick knacks. Here are some videos.

https://youtu.be/y4k1gDDBSks

https://youtu.be/CjWxAXuht7M
    Last edited by Pam; May-30-22 at 07:28 AM.

^ Yep, rather rustic and dark [dimly lit] with a great deal of authentic memorabilia.

The food had gone down IMO, but it was a very distinct place style-wise.

Thanks for the vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ It was not overly bar-like. And certainly not 'sports-bar' like. It was more like a walk-thru connections of cubby like seating areas and rooms for dining. I think the bar was in the front you could walk past if not interested.

Probably where the word snug in the restaurant’s name came from. In Ireland, whenever a pub is partitioned to host families or friends for more privacy, they are called snugs.

^ Indeed! There was a semi-private 'snug' room in the back to the left that was a favorite for several dinner parties and bdays I attended back in the day! So sad this fire...

I ate there once a few years ago before going to Sister's Christmas Catechism. It was nice inside, but definitely not fance. I would go with brick rustic. Food was excellent. It had style in a kitschy way. I didn't get to try their bakery or house made cheese, but my daughter said it was superb. A fun kind of place but not like your standard college bar.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I ate there once a few years ago before going to Sister's Christmas Catechism. It was nice inside, but definitely not fance. I would go with brick rustic. Food was excellent. It had style in a kitschy way. I didn't get to try their bakery or house made cheese, but my daughter said it was superb. A fun kind of place but not like your standard college bar.
    Thanks jcole! It looks like it could be re-built within the brick walls [[hope they had plenty of insurance)... but the kitsch on the inside went up in smoke.

If they do rebuild... maybe we can start a "kitsch donation" plan... I know I have a few garish items I would be willing to donate to a worthy cause!

Somebody has to have an Elvis on Velvet, or some Tiki torches they would sacrifice!

I might be able to part with a pink flamingo...
    Thanks jcole! It looks like it could be re-built within the brick walls [[hope they had plenty of insurance)... but the kitsch on the inside went up in smoke.

If they do rebuild... maybe we can start a "kitsch donation" plan... I know I have a few garish items I would be willing to donate to a worthy cause!

Somebody has to have an Elvis on Velvet, or some Tiki torches they would sacrifice!

Just saw on WDIV this morning that the fire rekindled. Fire crews on scene to put out this new fire!!

We've eaten at TJ's numerous times in recent years [prior to COVID]. As a couple, with family, and with friends. Always enjoyed the food. And the rustic boho decor! Loved the diversity of the rooms, some wide open with lots of tables, some private cubbyhole seating. Hoping they can rise from the ashes!!
    Last edited by Kathleen; May-31-22 at 05:35 PM.

Didn’t the owners rebuild the burnt out Forest Arms Apartments? Maybe they needed a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Didn’t the owners rebuild the burnt out Forest Arms Apartments? Maybe they needed a new project.
    The recent fire at the Forest Arms Apts. was caused by a mentally depressed former WSU Student who has committed suicide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast